User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info Needed: Where to buy Denso ITV22s???

Default Info Needed: Where to buy Denso ITV22s???

Hi,

I'm in the process of collating parts and products needed to carry out a 100,000km service on my MPS3, I will be doing it all my self this coming weekend and thought I'd might as well replace the spark plugs.

I've been reading about the Denso ITV22s and can't seem to find them anywhere except MPSG, I'm yet to contact them to find out availability but I'm in a bit of a hurry to get them in by this weekend as I will not have any more time in the coming weeks...

anyone know where else to get them from???

Cheers!

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

i just bought a set off ebay for about $80

what else are you planning to change out?

Well I've also seen them on there but don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for them to arrive.

I will be doing oil change, oil filter, brake fluid, brake pads, machine rotors, coolant, cabin filter change, torquing up suspension bolts, power steering fluid change and don't need to do the gearbox since I replaced it around the 80,000km mark. And if I can get them in on time the spark plugs which must be the original ones the car came with from factory.

I bought mine from PG but I had to chase them. I changed mine (MPS6) at 70,000km because that's what the manual said to do, and I ended up changing them again at 100,000km because a coil failed and cracked the plug insulator. Mazda put the standard item back in so I bought 3 more standard plugs and cannot notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    I bought mine from PG but I had to chase them. I changed mine (MPS6) at 70,000km because that's what the manual said to do, and I ended up changing them again at 100,000km because a coil failed and cracked the plug insulator. Mazda put the standard item back in so I bought 3 more standard plugs and cannot notice a difference.
    You have to chase everything you buy from PG lol.
    I had to wait over 6 weeks for an intake that was 'in stock'
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

6. Default

Hi Alex,

We have them in stock, here's the link to the page

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    You have to chase everything you buy from PG lol.
    I had to wait over 6 weeks for an intake that was 'in stock'
    Yeah I had to wait almost three months for Eibach springs to arrive for my GF's NC MX5...

Cool I will hit you up with a PM and I'll place and order, are you guys able to send them via express post???

I need them for this weekend...

Cheers!

Is there any gains over the standards ones mazda issue?

Colder plugs help minimize the risk of detonation when the combustion temps rise due to turning up the boost or having other engine modifications, normal range plugs can pre ignite causing pinging and also running colder plugs from what I have researched in the past help the engine run smoother and give slightly better fuel economy.

Some more info I just found...

Originally Posted by sparkplugs.com
    Heat range

The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or race car, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.

Do not make spark plug changes at the same time as another engine modification such as injection, carburetion or timing changes as in the event of poor results, it can lead to misleading and inaccurate conclusions (an exception would be when the alternate plugs came as part of a single precalibrated upgrade kit). When making spark plug heat range changes, it is better to err on the side of too cold a plug. The worst thing that can happen from too cold a plug is a fouled spark plug, too hot a spark plug can cause severe engine damage
    Last edited by Malicioso; 14-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.

I find the ITV22s a very overrated plug, I ran them in mine for a while, and noticed that aside from a slightly richer idle (by smell, and the fact that I was able to pop flames from my exhaust when on launch control, something that I cant replicate on the stock heat range plugs), there was no real difference in the performance, even the highly overrated bum dyno wasnt fooled.

Alex has it right with all that info.
    So to summerise it all.
    No, there is no need to go to a colder plug on our cars unless you are really heavily modified.

And also think, by changing plugs, any gain you receive, is that through the different plug, or because its a new plug?

Heavily modified would be larger turbo and supporting mods im guessing, since going stage 3 (new intercooler, full intake and dp) wouldn't be considered "Heavily Modified"?

They're better in hot weather also??

What are the standard plugs that mazda put in them anyway lol?

I just had one replaced by Mazda and they supplied NGK ILTR6A-8G

Std is similar to ITV20

Basic mods and QLD weather would see ITV22 safely.

I ran ITV24s in mine. dunno why???

I have always been told to run the coldest plug you can without fouling it.
    It is a safety measure, not a performance one.

You had ONE repleced by Mazda???

What tight asses

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post

What tight asses
    It's like when the struts/shocks fail, they replace 1 as per required
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

well im bout to throw a GT3071R in mine (see mods in sig) and got the ITV 22's as a "just to be safe" measure ....

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post

What tight asses
    Actually I am the tight ass...haha, I had a coil go which buggered the plug, and was given the option of replacing one coil for $300 or $1200 for all, so I said just do one and bought the others genuine from the States for a helluva lot less I also changed all of the other plugs myself because they were half the price from PerformanceLub.com

Mind you, my car is out of warranty too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast