User Tag List

Thread: Info needed before I buy a 2005 or 2006 MPS6

1. Cool Info needed before I buy a 2005 or 2006 MPS6

Hi I am considering buying a 05 or 06 MPS6 but have a few question that I hope some of you can answer.

1. Does the timing belt need to be changed at 100k if so how much will that set me back?
    2. The specs say it needs 95 ron petrol, will it run on standard unleaded without causing damage/issues?
    3.What are the things I should look out for when purchasing a used MPS6
    4. The specs say it will use 10.5L per 100km combined city and hwy driving, is this accurate?

Your advice will help me make an informed decision.

See replies below in red!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy78 View Post
    Hi I am considering buying a 05 or 06 MPS6 but have a few question that I hope some of you can answer.

1. Does the timing belt need to be changed at 100k if so how much will that set me back?
    The motor has a timing chain, therefore no belt, though excessive noise may require a VVT acctuator! Check this thread http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html
    2. The specs say it needs 95 ron petrol, will it run on standard unleaded without causing damage/issues?
    95 Only - 98 is preferred. 91 is not good and you may cause damage by running this (engine knocking particually) Check this thread http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...o-you-use.html
    Check this thread http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html or this one http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html
    4. The specs say it will use 10.5L per 100km combined city and hwy driving, is this accurate?
    Real world economy is more like 11.5L/100km though depends on your driving style

Good luck with the purchase, they're a great car
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

i get around 13.5l/100 in 100% city driving. and im not gentle on it.

dont use 91ron in turbo engines, its not good. turbo engines are far more susceptible to knock/ping due to the forced induction. bp 98 is the ONLY fuel that goes into my mps.

good service history is a must, but not necessarily mazda service.

always use good oil, nulon 10w-40 is my preferred. mazdas favourite castrol crap is not, hence above.

apart from that, look for worn synchros (issue in any mps gearbox ive heard), crunchy gearbox (penrite SYN 75w-90 helped me), whiney diff.

MUST have identical tyres (even down to the wear on the tyres) as the 4wd system is completely intolerant of playing odd wheel out (diffs cant handle different rolling rotations on different sides of the car, ie, different brands of tyre on opposite sides, or even front and back)

if you dont mind some minimal vibration at idle with the aircon on, strongly reccommend replacing the rear engine mount with an aftermarket part. this reduces engine movement under power, giving sharper shifts, easier shifts, and less engine banging round the bay

Ice

ive put 91 in my car (3MPS) ONCE, cause my light was on, and ~100k's before next fuel stop... it was bad
    way down on power, and things did just not feel right

that would be the knock sensors going ape$hit and retarding the engine

avoids damage this way by reducing power

98 fuel only IMO

I get 10.5L / 100k's even with my crazy driving

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    98 fuel only IMO

I get 10.5L / 100k's even with my crazy driving
    your tuned tho

Quote Originally Posted by Andy78 View Post

Stop considering. I know right now you are using your head. But once you own one you will start going with your...modding head (sounds weird, I know).

In the (almost) 2 years I have been with the club, I get the feeling that these cars are bomb proof. But it comes down to previous ownership and servicing.

You should meet up with the guys and girls in the club and talk to long term owners.

Good luck. And Welcome to the Club!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

so... 16L/100km is bad then? :P

10. Default

very helpful thread
    hopefully soon ill be looking into getting a 6mps aswell... Really hoping that more pop up for sale in sydney soon, majority are silver, and my current car is silver so was hoping for a change
    GL on the purchase Andy

my mps6 06' is at the shop at the moment and is approaching 100k mark. And its time for a big overhaul new clutch which in my case also means new flywheel which is not cheap ! Because of its setup as well aftermarket ones can not easily be fitted (not in nz anyway) i am replacing belts, front suspension bushes, gearbox mounts, engine mounts and a few other bits and pieces. Dont let this put you off because it is an awsome car and fun to drive, there are also a few simple mods than can be done to get big power gains which is good

i always run mine on at least 96 but the old girl prefers 98 and it loves drinking it too (i have a weight attached to my right foot when ever i drive this car though)

all the best and have fun with it, when you get it talk to peeps on the forum cause they are guru's at knowing what is going on with your car and have great suggestions !

I use 98, despite not really seeing any difference from 95.

I'm averaging about 9 - 9.5L / 100. I don't trash it as often as I should, guess I'm a bit of a coward sometimes

My car's done just over 75,000km's and hasn't had a problem at all yet. No VVT problems, turbo seal problems and what not, just the occasional creaking noise coming from one of the mounts which I really should replace....

13. Default

Thanks peeps for all your advice.
    Is it recommended that I getting an RAC inspection prior to purchase if buying from a private seller?

Definitely. Although also recommended, try and grab someone who specializes in MPS's, or even Mazda's since they'll know what they're looking for. If you're close to someone on the forums, maybe they'll be able to lend you a hand?

Good luck mate.

Found this thread which is also helpful, contains some good tips when buying second hand, good luck mate

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...d-vehicle.html