User Tag List

Thread: How important is tyre size for stock rims on a MPS6?

Default How important is tyre size for stock rims on a MPS6?

I'm in desperate need of a set of new tyres for the Mps6 and the OEM sizing is proving a little hard to find. (215/45r18)…

So I’m asking the question- Is there any reason I can’t fir a different size on the stock rims…?

I understand if you go too wide or narrow you can deform (bow or stretch) the tyre and get uneven wear and strange handling characteristics from it. Also if you reduce the side wall size you will slightly alter the rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre combo. I would like to keep the stock size but im open to a small change in size if there are no tradeoffs in regards to wear and handling.

I want a tyre that displays good handling but rides well, is quiet and wears well. (Not asking for much am I).

Its hard to get everything you list! there will always be a compromise somewhere. Look at Kumhos ku 31's not going to brake the bank and members here love them, they are a good compromise Im running Toyos t1'rs great grip wet and dry, quiet, comfortable, but not a long life ( thats my compromise)

225/45 is a much more common size, which you'll find easier to find, and easier on the wallet
    in order to get what you've asked for, you're probably looking at something like the michelen pilot sport 3, or the hankook ventus V12, and they're probably going to set you back mid-high 200's each

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

KU31's are a good tyre for the price (~150-180 a corner) but if you're prepared to pay more, you can do better
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

225/40 is really common, and cheap, and will give pretty close to the OEM size rolling diameter.
    225/45 will be a bit taller, bit better ride and more accurate speedo (stock is a fair way off usually)

Really any 225 tyre will be fine on the stock rim.

Yeah everyone seems to rave about the KU31’s and they had made the short list however so had the KU36’s and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. It will all come down to price and availability I guess.

However the real issue I had and has been covered briefly above is that I can run a 225/40r18 or 225/45r18 tyre on my stock rims with out issues. I do know the MPS6 is a bit touchy regarding tyre sizes

You may find this useful:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

I have 225/45/18's and they fill the wheel arch nicely imho.

Like said in the above posts, a 225/45-18 or 225/40-18 will be fine, and should fit with no issues.

As far as tyre types, KU31 is probably the best bang for buck tyre around.

If you are willing to spend a bit more though, the Michelin PS3 or Hankook Ventus V12 are both top notch tyres, and provide an extra level of grip over the KU31, while still being quiet, well wearing tyres.

I have 225 40 18's I think, when I compaired them to the original size the rolling dia was the same so on they went lol

Has any one run the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric?the K31's arnt as cheep as i was expecting and they are not that far these Goodyears at the moment..?

whats your budget? I had the KU36 installed for about 260 per corner. my suspension is letting down the tyres atm

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    Has any one run the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric?the K31's arnt as cheep as i was expecting and they are not that far these Goodyears at the moment..?
    Hey Pete,

I ran these on 7.5" rims (225/40/18) found them quite grippy and quieter than the bridgestones. However I ran into some diff related issues when I played with tyre sizes don't know how much this was tyre size or just my dodgy diff, but I had to have forward mount bolts replaced then a cracked rear mount replaced, finally I went back to stock tyre sizes and installed new CP-e and Turbine Tech mounts, never gave me trouble again after that!

I think as long as all 4 wheels have the same diameter you shouldn't run into too many issues, like I said above it may have been just mine that had the tyre size issues!

This thread covers most of it

Cheers
    Chris

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...solutions.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Oh man now u have got me thinking...

I remember this thread and didn’t want any issues with my MPS. as it is my Wife’s daily drive.

however the 215/45r18's are as rare as rocking horse shit. and are not a supported size for many of the manufacturers.

this is frustrating as the car is running on her space saver and it is a wide as the tyres on my downhill mountain bike...

what size are other MPS6 members running and with what results?

After all my ginning round i have finally made a decision on tyres for the stock rims. Despite what the websites and some tyre shops will say both Kumho (KU31, KU21), Falken (912) and Hankook (V12EVO) do these tyres in our OEM size.
    The Hankook V12EVO was $60 cheaper a tyre than the Ku31. So the choice was easy. I'm having a set off V12Evo’s fitted for a great price by a tyre guy who knows what he is talking about today. I will update how they go as they scrub in.

But I am stoked to have it all sorted.

jesus... how expensive were the KU31's? should have been able to pick them up for 150-180 a corner...
    how much you paying for the V12 EVO's?

hahahah... nope this is WA mate nothing is cheap over here…

the best price I got on KU31’s was $300 a tyre. The worst was $380. I also got offerd $350 on the KU21's?
    In the end I paid $245 a tyre for the Hankooks V12 Evo’s. I felt it was a great price on these tyres and I definitely did my homework and ringing round and it turned out to be by far the cheapest on those as well.
    All for a 215/45R18 fitted and balanced with the roadside Hankook warranty.

Holy crap!
    Thats the disadvantage of the mining boom i assume. Cost of everything goes up because there is more money around.
    Surely you could have got them cheaper from the eastern states and has them posted over and still be ahead?
    We sent a set of MPS rims and tyres to Tassie for $80, so can't assume it would be much more to WA.l

Important question is - What do you think of the tyres?

I think they are great all day every day daily drive tyres.
    They seem to provide great grip (not that the MPS6 needs much help however they have considerably reduced understeer) they are quiet and comfy.

Only drawback I can see so far is that they muffle the small amount of feedback through the steering wheel that was there with the existing Pirelli tyres. And have slightly muted overall steering feel. There is a slight squidge on turn in that wasn’t as noticeable before.

However in saying all that they perfectly fit the bill for why I bought the car. Comfy, great mile eater on holidays and hwy/freeway work, good ride/handling balance.