User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan GT-R Australian V8 Supercars Pace Car Launch

Default Nissan GT-R Australian V8 Supercars Pace Car Launch

I never thought I'll ever see this combination again. Would be a good sight seeing the GT-R in front a pack of V8 through the Bathurst..... the way it always have been!!!!!

If I was the pace car driver, I would be so tempted to fang it to see if the rest could keep up.

Nissan GT-R Australian V8 Supercars Pace Car Launch

For the first time since the early 1990’s the Nissan GT-R makes a comeback to Australia touring car racing. This time it’s not as a controversial competitor though but as the official pace car for the 2009 series.

Today was the launch of the 2009 Nissan GT-R as the pace car in Melbourne Australia and we have some photos from the event courtesy of our friend Joel Strickland as well as from Nissan Motors Australia.

The first appearance for the GT-R pace car for the year will be in Adelaide on March 14th 2009.

Full press release from Nissan and more photos from Nissan and today’s launch after the jump…
    March 4

SAFETY THE KEYNOTE AS NISSAN BRINGS GT-R TO V8 SUPERCAR CHALLENGE

Nissan Australia today released photographs of its blistering GT-R sports coupe which will appear as the official Safety Car during the upcoming 2009 Australian V8 Supercar Championship Series.

Specially fitted with high visibility safety lights inside the cabin the Nissan GT-R makes its first appearance among the V8 touring cars in Adelaide on March 14. The GT-R goes on sale in Australia in April and has already found approximately 150 owners.

The promotional venture into Australia’s most celebrated automotive racing category is designed to attract and maintain public interest in the GT-R over its product life and focus attention on the Nissan brand.

Nissan Australia Managing Director, Dan Thompson said the decision to provide a GT-R to the V8 Supercar Series was a popular one at the company. “Australian Touring Cars have enjoyed immense popularity through the years and Nissan is delighted to become a corporate partner from this season,” he said.

“As most Australian race fans know, Nissan has enjoyed a very successful track record in the past and this year we are very excited at again being part of the support action.

“Just this week we heard about a new plan by the GT-R team to return to Germany’s
    Nurburgring in April where the GT-R already holds a lap record for the fastest production car at the circuit – a scorching 7m 29 secs. And with the latest 2009 GT-R now in play, Nissan’s Chief Test Driver Toshio Suzuki will have his sights set on an even faster lap time,” said Thompson.

Nissan will also provide a new AWD Murano crossover at major Touring Car rounds as a Course Car.

V8 Supercar Series, CEO Cameron Levick said Nissan has a proud history in Australian Touring Cars particularly through the 1980s and early 1990s so it is
    a welcome return for the manufacturer. “They made their name in those days in
    the Championship and particularly at Bathurst with Mark Skaife, Jim Richards co
    dominating at the time,” said Levick.

“There were certainly some mixed emotions back then and plenty of passion surrounding the GT-R. Now almost 20 years later Nissan is back again as a valuable addition to the sport and a fantastic new partner,” he said.

Meanwhile overseas, Nissan has also announced a race prepared GT-R will contest the super-competitive FIA-GT Championship in 2010. In addition, this year (with partners Gigawave Motorsport in the UK) a NISMO developed car will run a non-championship entry in 4 races. It is expected that the car will be driven by Michael Krumm (NISMO) and Darren Turner (Gigawave).

Gigawave Motorsport, a racing team based in the county of Essex, has been competing in the FIA GT Championship since 2007. The team’s parent company Gigawave Ltd., as an official partner of the FIA GT Championship, provides on-board cameras for real-time coverage of the races.

Blog Entries

*drool*

ha nice

If I was the pace car driver, I would be so tempted to fang it to see if the rest could keep up.
    V8 Supercar = 450 kW (600 bhp) in race trim about... according to wiki in 2007 -
    GTr = 357.94kw (480hp)

...hmm naahhhh

Hell yeah, they look sooo sweet.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    ha nice

V8 Supercar = 450 kW (600 bhp) in race trim about... according to wiki in 2007 -
    GTr = 357.94kw (480hp)

...hmm naahhhh
    You need to throw in some adjusments for weight differentials and more importantly, the power of the GTR is over an AWD system. My money would be on the GTR to absolutely cream them

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    ha nice

GTr = 357.94kw (480hp)

...hmm naahhhh
    Your joking right...

Did you not read the part about the GT-R being the fastest production car around The Ring.

Those V8's dont stand a chance...seriously even with talented drivers.

Car looks very good...and I guess thats why they dont want nissan back in the race....no one would support Holden or Ford...or even buy them.

Oh...thats happening already

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Finally. A reason to watch the V8s =P

Whats the lap time of a V8 Supercar around the ring?

9. Default

No idea but think about it this way, the GTR (stock) was quicker around the ring than the Buagatti Veyron and the Koenigsegg. Since the record of 7:29 was posted back in April last year there have been a few slightly quicker times by other cars like the Mazerrati and the Zonda but our beloved V8s should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the GTR. This is another class of vehicle altogether

Lets put slicks on the V-Spec and see how it holds up. That's more closely spec'ed to a V8 Supercar

11. Default

Don't use the ring as a definite answer to how fast it is.

Porsche borrowed a GT-R and could not get near its claimed ring time. In fact the same driver was faster in the 911 Turbo and GT2 than the GT-R.

Porsche believes the ring time that Nissan quote was gained using racing slicks or semi slicks. Therefore not the production car.

carsguide.com.au

12. Default

Hmm . . . well Porche testing a GTR has some hairs on it to say the least. There is a public dispute between Nissan and Porche but for now that time stands and from what I have read Nissan will wait for independent testing to verify the claims.

Hotest Safety Car evvvarrrrrrrr!

Well, it was a bit of a tong in cheek comment from me saying a stock GT-R can beat the V8s. Because the fact is....... No, a GT-R off the show room floor will never come close to a full race prepped v8 supercar.

Motor mag took the R35 GT-R to a track day at Bathurst and recorded a lap time of 2:25.59, beating the previously record of 2:27.1 in the production class, held by Terry Bosnjak’s RX7.

Gibson Motorsport R32 GT-R back in 92 sat third on the grid with a 2:14.54 lap. The v8 supercar qualifying lap record is currently 2:06.85. No amount of slicks will gain you 20 seconds.

I agree the Nurburgring’s lap time is not a good way in determining how fast a car is. It depends too much on the condition and driver. One little mistake or miss timed gear shift can cost you seconds at the end. Not that I’ve ever driven it, but have spent many many hours behind the wheel of my PS2 in the “Beer Bitch challenge” with Armthehomless. Where one is the beer bitch to the current lap record holder on the Ring. Every now and then I'll get a MMS of a faster lap time and be asked to get him a beer on my up from downstairs....... It was alright, I made sure I grabbed one of his for myself everytime...

Oh.... and Nissan released the tires used on the GT-R which set the record. Porche have been very quiet after that........

Oh... and came across this

Video: Nissan GT-R at Nurburgring in Winter

yea i still doubt it would beet a full race spec'd car.. set up to...well race and turn... its still a production car it has to have some limitations on a track which the V8 supercar would not...

not going on any real facts or figures here but my guess would be... (yes its AWD) but its most likly heavier then a V8 supercar... and less aerodynamically suited for racing around a track V8's have very specific front bars and rear wings in order to create down force.....

my money still on the V8.... and as Birdhouse just said above... still not as quick round Bathurst !!

don't hate just cause there a commodore or ford.... its a race spec'd car....

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Blog Entries

they aren't even holden and fords anymore haha

The motors are all made pretty much in the same places now and just thrown in bodys.

I lost interest in V8 supercars about 10 years ago when it became an exclusive club for spoiled brats with rich dads and no driving talent.

The comparative performance of the GTR and V8's is going to be a hotly debated topic in this country. But I would suggest the production GTR would not be able to turn in a lap time remotely close to a V8 supercar, even with the V8 handicapped by a talentless schmuck at the wheel.

The V8's are not race prepared production cars. They are purpose designed race cars. There's not a single nut or bolt in common with a road going Falcodore. Not even the body shells are the same. To get a road going production car to a V8 supercar level of performance it would cease to be a road going production car.

Gone to Volvo

I still like the V8's as I'm a petrol and watch any Motorsport....

The Nissan will be great to see leading the pak..

Clipsal is just around the corner

that is one of the sexiest safe cars i have seen!!

20. Default

It looks like it might be wroth watching the super cabs, just for the GTR.
    But I couldn't give them the ratings.
    Better off going down to the local track when lap attack is on & watch GTR's then & its free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast