User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual question - quietening a Gen 2 Mazda 3 MPS?

Default Unusual question - quietening a Gen 2 Mazda 3 MPS?

Hi folks, picked up my brand new Mazda 3 MPS Luxury on Tuesday, and by all accounts, it's awesome, however it seems my ears can't handle the low down frequency of the engine. The rumble when it turns on seems to be fine (and sounds pretty cool), however when reversing, or moving around the lower gears (low down acceleration / slowing down in gear), the extra noise/vibration/rumble that is made seems to affect my ears a bit strangely (ie, they currently seem blocked and feel a bit odd - yes I have some strange issues with my ears, but don't really need to go into that!)

Anyhows, I was just wondering, is there any way to reduce/remove the noise that I'm talking about? A friend suggested putting in another resonator, but was wondering if there were any other suggestions?

Fix your ears

Sorry I looked and stared at this question for so long and I have nothing ?????? I thought they were quiet and people were making them louder to here them running...

The Golf R and some other makes have a flapper valve on one exhaust outlet that remains closed until you give it some right foot! Mine is fairly low key when you potter around then open her up and the sound increases to a nice throaty rumble Maybe you can do something like this, not sure of the mechanics but there is a vacuum type solenoid valve that controls the flap.

Turn the stereo up?

Give the car a few weeks or few 100km to loosen up a little, then see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    Fix your ears

or possibly try ear plugs

keeps the rev up higher!!!!

no point driving a MPS slowly

Quote Originally Posted by IBOMPS View Post
    keeps the rev up higher!!!!

no point driving a MPS slowly
    ^^ what this smart person said

I find the stereo, combined with my driving style cuts out any noise from the car
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Sound deadening material in the floor and doors. Works very well, but you need to pull door skins off install it.

Heh, I thought I might get some "interesting" replies ... yeah a few other friends suggested I'd probably get used to it, I hope so! I did consider driving around with some ear plugs for the time being, but that'll get old pretty quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Sound deadening material in the floor and doors. Works very well, but you need to pull door skins off install it.
    sound deadning will help. I would let the car settle, as time goes on the exhaust/muffler will fill with carbon and soot. This will make it quieter...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    Anyhows, I was just wondering, is there any way to reduce/remove the noise that I'm talking about?
    You must be single. Put a girl in the passenger's seat and you won't hear a thing.

Last edited by Jeev; 10-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.

you aren't going to make the engine noise any quieter than from factory, it can only get noisier when doing mods. road noise is a different story.

it sounds like you are referring to gearbox whine (the sound when you reverse), once again, you can't make it any quieter.

Also as the car is a hatch, you will hear a lot more exhaust and road noise than a sedan. you can quieten the exhaust by adding resonators/mufflers and road noise can be reduced by adding sound deadening to body and paint on sound deadening to wheel wells

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    sound deadning will help. I would let the car settle, as time goes on the exhaust/muffler will fill with carbon and soot. This will make it quieter...
    I reckon mine's got louder since the day I first got it, just over 10,000kms.

from
    MMMPPPSSSEXY

Yeah I originally thought it was the road noise - especially on some of the coarse bitumen stuff up here, but that's not *that* bad, I think it's mainly the low end frequency of the engine/exhaust/ (gearbox? as suggested above?)... I sometimes get a blocked ear from the home subwoofer when watching a movie, however that usually subsides, so I think this is just a more noticeable version of that.

Weld encaps onto your exhaust tips. That will silence it completely.
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    Yeah I originally thought it was the road noise - especially on some of the coarse bitumen stuff up here, but that's not *that* bad, I think it's mainly the low end frequency of the engine/exhaust/ (gearbox? as suggested above?)... I sometimes get a blocked ear from the home subwoofer when watching a movie, however that usually subsides, so I think this is just a more noticeable version of that.
    Do you know exactly what frequency range/s gives you trouble? If not, go get tested (seriously) then you may need to do some real time analysis of the noise within the car in order to see what conditions bring on the highest occurence of the frequency range which gives you trouble. Then you can attempt to isolate the source and insulate the car in order to reduce the apparent volume reaching your ears or dampen the source of it to change the resonant frequency away from the range which causes you trouble. A product like Dynamat insulates noise, but also dampens resonance (by changing the resonant frequency of the panel it is applied to through the extra mass it adds).

Software for audio spectrum analysis is available if you have a laptop and a microphone you can use, maybe even some simple mobile phone apps could be available to do this. A quick Google search turned up this software which looks like it could assist, you'd probably need a tech savvy friend to operate it though while you are driving.

Or, maybe you could approach a car audio shop for assistance. They usually have a reasonable amount of experience dampening certain frequencies with the car environment, the necessary tools to measure what is happening and the knowledge on what to do to quieten these.

Good luck

Wow, nice answer, thanks for that TD... I am going to get my ears checked out (have a referral), but it's very annoying in the mean time - went for a drive with ear plugs today, damn it's fun to drive! I did consider doing some audio frequency measurements to see what frequency the sounds were in the car, so I might see if I can find a decent iPhone app to do it (probably not as accurate as proper equipment, but it might at least give me an idea)

I've found on mine I get the most resonance when off-throttle between 4000 and 3000 RPM (Ie when lifting off the throttle and engine braking)

I reckon that might be where things are going a little haywire for you if you have similar issues with bass frequencies.

As TD suggests, some Dynamat should do the trick nicely. Covering the floor under the front seats, the transmission tunnel, and up in the footwells to the firewall might be enough

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Buy a Corolla.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast