User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Rotors Slotted or Drilled which way do you swing?

Ok, let's just say I'm driving "Normal", say doing 60km/h. Then, emergency stop. Will these performance products pull me up as good as OEM, considering they're not at their operating temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Ok, let's just say I'm driving "Normal", say doing 60km/h. Then, emergency stop. Will these performance products pull me up as good as OEM, considering they're not at their operating temp?
    depends on the pads. some street/track pads operate from 0-850 degrees. some racing ones from 200-1350 degrees. as long as you select the correct ones, you'll be fine.

i'd suggest reading up on some of the brake pad websites about operating temps. the knowledge on them will answer all your Q's.

From a functional perspective, slots provide an escape path for the gasses that get between the pad and rotor and act as a lubricant resulting in brake fade. That's it. If the car doesn't have a problem with fade, slots wont help anything. But they will increase noise and accelerate pad wear. That's not to say you wouldn't accept these compromises and use slotted rotors as a preventative measure when you intend to go hard. They might just save your bacon, although you would never really know if the slots are preventing fade or just looking cool unless you did a back to back comparison with std rotors.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

No. Your braking distance is likely to be longer with cold high-temp pads than with OEM. Possibly much longer. Driving on the street with racing brake pads can actually be quite dengerous for the reason you point out.
    Last edited by kmh001; 08-06-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    big statement, but unfortunatley those car manufacturers do not use cross drilled rotors.

if you are lacking the knowledge of how they manufacture their production rotors. all you have to do is ask.
    Both the Bugatti Veyron and Pagani Zonda R use cross drilled rotors, as well as a good many other production supercar manufacturers, while the term cross drilled may not be entirely fitting in describing the manufacturing process of these types of rotors, it is still that same design.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Slots and cross drilling has very little to do with stopping power, all it does is increase the surface area and ventilation of the rotor to allow it to dissipate more heat. Helping them last longer before fading.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

The A1RM's I have still work better than the stock pads when theyre cold, when they get up to temperature tho they get even better still. These pads lean slightly further towards the track than street pads tho. Much further into the track territory and you will start to see more of this phenomenon.

A side question to the rotor discussion...

What replacement pads are people choosing to run on the GenII MPS3?
    I've done only 2000klms on the stock pads and rotors and am already out of patience with the amount of dust the stock pads give off.

- low dust
    - low noise
    - good break feel & bite
    - good pad wear

Any recommendations??

Hehe you're not wrong about the chronic brake dust the stock pads produce.

Send an email to GSL Rallysport, they were very good in helping me choose my new brake pads. I went with the QFM A1RM's, but they are loud, dusty and made for the track, so not what you're after.

GSL RallySport, The Motor Sport Revolution!
    Last edited by Reedy; 09-06-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12