User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Rotors Slotted or Drilled which way do you swing?

Default Brake Rotors Slotted or Drilled which way do you swing?

Interesting read...

After i have gone out and bought new rotors i found this write up.

this is teh link Blank rotors are better than cross drilled and/or slotted - Honda-Tech

There is a lot of conjecture, and even more marketing influence saying that cross-drilled and slotted rotors are an "upgrade". This is not necessarily true, and in most cases, is just more expensive and can actually HURT braking performance. This is a thread to debate which rotors are best, cross drilled, slotted, both, or blank. I believe blank rotors are better, and here is why.

The reason for the creation of cross drilled rotors initially was to remove the "gasses" from the brake pads. HOWEVER, most of your modern brake pads (Axxis metal, AEM semi-ceramic) do NOT produce gasses when heating. This was on bad brake pads used in the 1950s and 1960s. Back then, asbestos was used as a bonding agent, but due to the health concern of asbestos, we don't use it anymore..

The other reason is so called heat dissapation. I don't have my physics and thermo books with me, but the theory is that the holes in the rotor are suppose to allow the brake pad to cool. So...air gets into the rotor from the inside of the vents. If you have a back rotor which is solid, air gets into these holes how? If your stopped, you are leaving air inside these holes sandwiched between the pads, thus creating air with a rising temperature. Its increasing in pressure from the heat, which I guess you "could" call a gas that would affect braking. So the cross drilled rotors do not remove any gasses formed by brake pads (because there are none created anymore) but could possibly inhibit the creation of "hot spots".

Cross drilled rotors have LESS contact area because of the holes.
    But if the rotor is cooler, its better, right? Well no, because these rotors are not cooler. THe heat is generated from the pad/rotor contact. What removes heat the most effectively? When stopped or moving, the pad transfers heat into the rotor because its made of cast iron. the rotor has a lot of surface area and even vanes in it. But the little holes allow air in this surface contact, and you can transfer more heat into a solid big ass chunk of cast iron more than you can into the air. Don't believe me? Touch some steam at 150 degrees, then touch a piece of hot metal which is at 150 degrees. Which burns your hand? the metal. So let the heat transfer into the metal, because since it has so much more surface area, dissapates better.

Safety!!
    Cross drilled rotors can crack! I have seen them!!

Even racing teams will reccomend AGAINST cross drilled rotors:
    http://www.livermoreperformanc....html

Companies that sell cross drilled rotors that are redrilled may not be structurally sound. I have actually seen pictures of rear Integra rotors that have had hairline cracks turn into the rotor actually breaking apart!

Do your homework. Even Porsche and Ferrari will admit that the cross drilled rotors they use are for looks. So if you are one of those kids who thinks the little holes look cool, get a name brand drilled rotor like Ferrari does. The REASON Ferrari's 'holed' rotors are alright to use is because they are CAST with the holes in them, so they are not actually drilled into cast iron rotors. Cheap drilled rotors are not safe, and even the good ones are not necessary. Why do Ferrari do it? People THINK they want it, and it sells. If you don't believe me, go into the business world. You will learn that pretty soon, you can sell utter shit if people THINK its better.

Information I gathered from http://www.pdm-racing.com/prod....html
    says:

"KVR Crossdrilled Rotors

Why should you upgrade to cross drilled rotors?

Simply stated, the function of any vehicles brake system is to stop the vehicle. This is accomplished by absorbing the kinetic energy stored in the moving vehicle, and converting it into heat. The friction caused by the brake pad rubbing on the rotor is the source of this heat. The more quickly and efficiently that heat can be absorbed and dissipated, the more quickly and efficiently the car will stop.

There are several contributing factors to this heat reduction. One of the most common sources of heat is from the gases produced by the bonding agents of the brake pad burning off. Under severe braking, this can actually produce a boundary layer of gas that pushes the pad away from the rotor, which can lead to excessive brake fade. The cross-drilled holes or slots in a rotor provide an escape path for these gasses (de-gassing or out-gassing are common terms), and allow the pad to stay in contact with the rotor. As well as de-gassing, cross drilling or slotting will provide better wet weather braking as water is swept through the holes, or down the slots.

A vented rotor can be viewed as an air fan. When in motion, the vents draw air from the center of the rotor outward. This air flow, over an increased internal surface area, effectively dissipates rotor heat. Cross drilling adds to this air flow, as well as providing additional rotor surface cooling. "

This company is just telling you that the rotors may be cooler, however they fail to mention that the holes really do create a more than substantial decrease in surface area, thus less braking, thus less heat created, thus the less heat CREATED will leave the rotors cooler, the holes barely do anything! Its the less braking lowering the temperature!

Slotted rotors-
    Find me a company that uses stock slotted rotors. They remove brake dust, but if you study braking systems, you find that with modern cars, flat blank rotors and semi-ceramic pads, the brake dust causing the rotor to slip on it is almost non-existent. But the brake dust doesnt need all those lines. Notice how most front brake pads (and most back) have that line down the middle to give essentially two bite points. If OEM or racing companies found it to be a benefit, they would do it.

PROOF OF IT ALL:

Find me an F1 car as of now that uses cross drilled or slotted rotors.
    They all use full ceramic rotors and ceramic pads. Are they drilled or slotted? No.

If they helped the fastest cars in the world, wouldn't they use them? Its basic calculations that show the lack in surface area does not make up for the possible loss in temperarure. They use brake cooling air ducts insted.

BIG BRAKE KITS:
    Some have asked if the big brake kits are worth it. This is sort of a relative question, but the simple answer is no. Regarding the big ones with drilled rotors, if you know that they are cast that way, at least they wont crack. I will still advice against them.
    In terms of a big brake kit, I have seen some for Civic DX models. Civics have the small pad, small caliper, and a 9.5" rotor. The big rotors are 12" in diameter, ok so the overall diameter is close to that of an Acura RL (1999). But the sweeping area (the area that the pad can grab) is still the same if they use the same caliper and same pad. If you have the same pad and caliper, you are using the same rotor surface, just farther out, so it will increase braking from stock. However, if you were to change knuckles, etc, and get Acura RL caliper (larger piston than your civic DX piston), RL pads (much bigger and taller), and RL rotors 11.8" but much more surface area is touched, then you have a better brake setup because you have OEM parts, and a better grip on more area of the rotor. The downfall is added weight (since big brake kits are usually 2 piece and lighter) but the benefit is that you have so much more stopping. Ok, so the big brake kit will have less unsprung and rotational mass (so a little better accelleration but less braking), but they tend to run over a grand, and you can use OEM parts to build a better setup for half that.

IN CONCLUSION:
    Don't buy slotted or cross drilled rotors, blank are better, and stop better. Physics people, get me my formulas and help me out here.

If you must get rotors with designs on them, get the slotted ones by a good company, and DON'T get blank rotors redrilled with little holes all over them. IF you absolutly must have the rotors with holes cause you like em, get them from a company that casts the rotors like that. I have seen rotors break and this is for your safety!

HOWEVER, there is one sure fire way to get better rotors. Vented rotors, which we all have in the front of our car and cars like the NSX and new RL even have in the back, have straight lines for vents. This increases surface area to dissapate heat. If you go with "curved vane rotors", these will help, as they draw air from the hub area and vent it out the edges of the rotor. These rotors have no downfall, are directional, and will cost more than the non-directional regular vented disc rotors. The vanes are to point away from the rotation of the car, not toward it, as they draw air in to out, not biting into it and pulling it inward. Cooling ducts help by forcing cool air into the hub area to be vented out the curved vanes. Curved vanes usually start being effective at 50-60mph and above.

REMEMBER......
    Your car will only stop as fast as your tires will allow. All the braking in the world wont work if your tires are bald and on ice!!

What have you bought and whats your impressions. Most of us buy pads and rotors at the same time. Who has the same pads with standard rotors and than put aftermarket rotors on? results your opinion?....
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 07-06-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Interesting read...

PROOF OF IT ALL:

Find me an F1 car as of now that uses cross drilled or slotted rotors.
    They all use full ceramic rotors and ceramic pads. Are they drilled or slotted? No.

If they helped the fastest cars in the world, wouldn't they use them? Its basic calculations that show the lack in surface area does not make up for the possible loss in temperarure. They use brake cooling air ducts insted.

[/COLOR]
    One thing to remember... F1 cars are required to have a high temperature rotor in order for the brakes to work.

Our brakes are designed to run much colder.... Never forget the feeling of brake fade and thinking "uh oh" am I going to stop?

There I not doubt about it... the more surface area the better!

I can't justify going from a 320 rotor to a 330 rotor and having to change my rims though..... and the rest...

Attachment 8766 F1 brake

Quote Originally Posted by N3RDPWR View Post
    One thing to remember... F1 cars are required to have a high temperature rotor in order for the brakes to work.

Our brakes are designed to run much colder.... Never forget the feeling of brake fade and thinking "uh oh" am I going to stop?

There I not doubt about it... the more surface area the better!

I can't justify going from a 320 rotor to a 330 rotor and having to change my rims though..... and the rest...
    True, if your doing a spirited run through corners it opens up to a 100kph straight and u have to jump on them ( car stopped on road/Roo/wombat ) they would already be hot.. in this i think i would want brakes that work hot

5. Default

F1:
    Normal operating temperature of somewhere between 400 and 500 degrees centigrade
    When a F1 driver hits the brakes, disc temperature can peak at 1000 degrees centigrade.

Daily Drive:
    The average car brake pad can reach temperatures between 200 and 300 degrees Celsius

There are a lot of greys to this argument; it's not quite as simple as black and white. In general, if we speak in terms of the MPS3/MPS6 it comes down to specific rotors, manufacture quality, method and material.... Not just whether they are cross drilled or slotted. The major argument against cross drilled rotors is cracking, which is due mainly to what's known as stress concentration around the holes; however if the holes are machined well and the material used is high quality; this stress concentration factor is reduced and becomes less of a concern. Adding to this work hardening, heat cycling and material transformation/deformation under these conditions... If you were to keep a cross drilled brake hot, or cold and the temperature difference itself was not great then the stresses involved would be reduced and again the cracking would not be an issue, however this is not really an option for the rotors we can use.

On the other side of the argument, slots have a specific function in braking, which is predominantly to clear the flame-front of the brake pad... Anyway, you can delve into this crap for pages and pages, but I'm saying it's quite a detailed matter. Personally I would suggest straight or "C" slotted rotors for performance application in our cars.
    Last edited by Jeev; 08-06-2011 at 01:02 AM.

I agree with your analysis Luke. You'll notice in my sig that I run std DBA rotors. There's a reason for that - it's because they perform better. And due to having a fetish for braking systems I love talking about this stuff......

The purpose of brakes is to convert kinetic energy into heat energy. Anything that removes mass from the rotor reduces the amount of heat it can absorb. Anything that reduces contact area with the pad also reduces the friction area (slots may improve bite, but that's not the same as actually stopping the car). The unfortunate reality for the fashion conscious is that holes and slots generally reduce brake effectiveness. If slots are being used to reduce fade, that's just a band aid to a poorly engineered setup.

I learned a lot about brakes when I manufactured my own big brake systems for racing in the days before big brake kits existed and mere mortals could not afford Lockheed calipers. Eventually after a lot of development I perfected a 4-piston setup running DS11 pads that hauled the car down from 260 to 80 in (I think) about 70m (on slicks) approaching turn 2 at Eastern Creek. It was a high-temp setup (from memory the DS11 compound is optimised for 650 degrees) that was unsuitable for street use, but those brakes worked reliably and consistently lap after lap, with no fade, no boiling fluid and no cracked rotors. And the rotors had no holes or slots. This is not something you'd be likely to achieve with brembos, which I'm obviously not a fan of and which cause all sorts of grief to guys who try to make them work at the track. I suppose you could call brembos the paris hilton of the braking world - they look alright but lack substance.

Thankfully the brakes are the best feature of the 6MPS and I have no desire to change anything about them other than pads and fluid.
    Last edited by kmh001; 08-06-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Gone to Volvo

Was talking about this only yesterday with one of the guys at work who did Targa Tassie this year, we both run slotted rotors and were commenting on the extra bite and fade resistance they seemed to give.

Personally, the difference could purely be down to a better rotor and pad than stock, and have nothing to do with the slots...

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I agree with your analysis Luke. You'll notice in my sig that I run std DBA rotors. There's a reason for that - it's because they perform better. And due to having a fetish for braking systems I love talking about this stuff......

The purpose of brakes is to convert kinetic energy into heat energy. Anything that removes mass from the rotor reduces the amount of heat it can absorb. Anything that reduces contact area with the pad also reduces the friction area (slots may improve bite, but that's not the same as actually stopping the car). The unfortunate reality for the fashion conscious is that holes and slots generally reduce brake effectiveness. If slots are being used to reduce fade, that's just a band aid to a poorly engineered setup.

I learned a lot about brakes when I manufactured my own big brake systems for racing in the days before big brake kits existed and mere mortals could not afford Lockheed calipers. Eventually after a lot of development I perfected a 4-piston setup running DS11 pads that hauled the car down from 260 to 80 in (I think) about 70m (on slicks) approaching turn 2 at Eastern Creek. It was a high-temp setup (from memory the DS11 compound is optimised for 650 degrees) that was unsuitable for street use, but those brakes worked reliably and consistently lap after lap, with no fade, no boiling fluid and no cracked rotors. And the rotors had no holes or slots. This is not something you'd be likely to achieve with brembos, which I'm obviously not a fan of and which cause all sorts of grief to guys who try to make them work at the track. I suppose you could call brembos the paris hilton of the braking world - they look alright but lack substance.

Thankfully the brakes are the best feature of the 6MPS and I have no desire to change anything about them other than pads and fluid.
    I thought i would put this out there. Good info and a good way to get some peoples thoughts

"Personally, the difference could purely be down to a better rotor and pad than stock, and have nothing to do with the slots... "

i think this is likely what the cause is, as well as maybe a better brake fluid. i'm no expert mind you.

what is everyones thoughts on mixing rotors? is there any side effects of doing this?

I am trying to keep my spending on rotors to a minimum, was thinking dba blanks for rear and dba 4000 slotted for front?

it means i spend ~$400 on both as opposed to somewhere near $650+ for a full set of slotted 4000's. also means i can upgrade my pads and brake fluid instead and remain within budget..

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

You raise some very good points there Mal,

My understanding of the benefits of using a cross drilled rotor, is both heat dissipation due to improved airflow via the rotors vents, and the weight reduction, reducing inertia and unsprung mass, while these points are highly unlikely to apply to the average car, they may be of an advantage in a higher end class of racing, where every fraction of a second counts. As mentioned though these are typically a very high carbon content rotor, that would be less susceptible to the heat related failures we see on the lower end products. I don't know the ins and outs of high end brakes, but I assume the reduction in surface area from the cross drilling, is counteracted by the added cooling and reduced inertia.

Slots on the other hand as I understand, offer benefits of releasing the pad gassing effect of braking, I know the article Luke posted mentioned that asbestos free pads do not release gas, maybe the rotors ability to clear the dust generated from the pads surface is the reason these are still commonly used today, also the edges of the slots would most likely generate greater friction as they are passing over the pad, increased bite at the sacrifice of greater pad wear.

I know that the Targa MPSs use stock brakes with slotted rotors (not sure what pads are allowed), Im sure that Mazdas motorsport division would not go out and slot rotors if there was no benefit other than it looks cool.

Im certain that like a good many aftermarket parts, we are subject to a world of marketing hype, not to mention the premium price tags associated with some relatively low cost machining.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Hello Luke ,
    I have just ordered from Greg at GSLrallysport DBA 4000 series slotted rotors with QFM A1RM pads which he advised for dual track days & high performance road cars .
    I would steer away from cross drilled Rotors I have experianced cracking with these as well , they are for looks only as stated by others I also have extensive experiance with Brembo & agree with Khm001 well put statement
    "the Paris Hilton of brakes " I believe with DBA rotors & high performance pads plus a change to anti boil brake fluid the brakes on a mps will do everything that is required of them . When I have mine installed & tested I will post my evaluation of them.
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

I bought slotted and drilled. Why? the price was right and the comapny that do them has a good rep
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 08-06-2011 at 10:07 AM.

You will have to let us know how they go Luke , I would be interested to find out if they are ok on a mps .
    Col

I will be using the same pads that i have now, Hawk Ceramic's. I will be putting them as soon as they land.. Cant wait to see if the difference

I was going to add something about slotted rotors but you guys beat me to it. I probably sounded a bit heavy handed about dismissing slots. What I should have said is that when you are constrained by the OEM configuration and want to take the brakes outside the original design parameters (eg racing) slots can be an effective and necessary way of handling the effects of additional heat.

One thing I did learn during my brake tinkering was the effectiveness of additional cooling air. It's not as sexy as a big brake setup, but simple cooling ducts can solve more problems than the expensive alternatives. I really don't understand why guys who track their cars spend up big on fancy fluids and pads when simply paying more attention to the provision of cooling air would do more for them - and cost next to nothing. Just don't use brake cooling ducts on the street.

I haven't kept up to date with the latest in friction materials, but I'm surprised to hear that newer pads don't de-gas at high temps. I think that statement needs more investigation to ensure it hans't been taken out of context. In any case, asbestos is chemically inert, it wasn't asbestos producing the gas in older pads it was the other binding materials.

Gone to Volvo

X-drilled rotors are very old technology. With advancements in pad compounds and steel materials used in rotors since the 1980s, there is no reason to use x-drilled rotors nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    X-drilled rotors are very old technology. With advancements in pad compounds and steel materials used in rotors since the 1980s, there is no reason to use x-drilled rotors nowadays.
    Unless you're planning on building the worlds fastest production cars
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

From what I read, slotted discs wont do much, if anything, on their own to improve braking performance.

Using a more aggressive pad in conjunction with slotted disc will definitely provide an improvement, how much of that improvement is down to the pads, and how much is down to the slots helping deal with the higher friction of better pads, that I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Unless you're planning on building the worlds fastest production cars
    big statement, but unfortunatley those car manufacturers do not use cross drilled rotors.

if you are lacking the knowledge of how they manufacture their production rotors. all you have to do is ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast