User Tag List

Thread: Still smokey.

Default Still smokey.

My car still smokes when giving it a bit (alot) of acceleration in 2nd & 3rd gear. It's a puff of smoke after changing gear kinda the colour of grey/brown like a dirty colour.

My Gen 1 did this also. No loss of power or other issues. Asked local dealer about it once and they said it could be burnt fuel but still think it's strange for a low kms car.

Ideas anyone?

from
    MMMPPPSSSEXY

I think you'll find most turbo cars are known for there black puff of smoke whilst under the pump, mine is the same but from all I have read and been told it's nothing to worry about.
    You notice it a lot on rear of a white turbo car around the exhaust from the same thing...correct me if I am wrong but I believe this to be a normal thing in our cars.

3. Default

The MZR has a non-return fuel system... thus excess fuel in the rails will usually end up in the engine and pushed out the exhaust as un-burnt fuel... this is your black smoke... Completely normal... Just do do it all the time... You have to clean your car more often =]

be happy its fuel coming out the back not oil haha

sounds like when you are putting the boot down you are simplying blowing out the excess petrol (standard ecu will push plenty of petrol in on demand)

not all gets burnt so ouch she blows.

As long as its grey/dark/brownish dont be too worried.

These cars run shockingly rich from the factory, 9.5:1 afr, the DI could also have something to do with this, black smoke under the pump is normal, dense white smoke at idle is bad.

Apparently on gear changes at full throttle there is a big enough puff of smoke out the back of my car to fuel a rotary

Thanks guys glad to know it seems a normal occurrence.

from
    MMMPPPSSSEXY

Mel will tell you, she was behind me once when dropped down a cog and floored it on the mudgee cruise.

Black smoke everywhere lol.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I had plenty of it......Black gold that is....

The car is prob waiting for you to stop smoking first

Buy the car some patch's

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    The car is prob waiting for you to stop smoking first

Buy the car some patch's
    Lol good point Luke.

from
    MMMPPPSSSEXY

Thanks for clearing this up. I get the same black smoke. Thought it may be a problem.

13. Default

My MPS3 (March/2011 model) has blown smoke (Black) from day one under medium acceleration.
    Dealer checked OK (as you would expect) Leaves excess deposits of black soot around the dual exhausts. As it is only unburnt fuel probably OK but looks bad when you look in the mirror though.
    Had a Golf GTI before this car and it blew no smoke wore the tyres evenly and drove better. Sorry to offend all the MPS people but in my opinnion is a better car. Plus only needed servicing every 15,000kms

Its called boost lol, without seeing it hard to tell if it is bad or just the norm. My MPS blows smoke out when accelerating even when it was stock.

And i call BS on Golf's only needing service every 15,000KM no way i would leave same oil in for that long, 45,000 3 oil changes no chance.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Its called boost lol, without seeing it hard to tell if it is bad or just the norm. My MPS blows smoke out when accelerating even when it was stock.

And i call BS on Golf's only needing service every 15,000KM no way i would leave same oil in for that long, 45,000 3 oil changes no chance.
    Jimbo
    The service schedule was 15,000km by the book. The oil used by all turbo motors is very low viscosity (thin like sewing machine oil) and the golf definitely needed oil to be topped up about 12,000km as any turbo or standard motor will use a bit of oil. I am just dissappointed in the way the tyre are wearing as i have just put on FALKEN FK452 225/40/ZR18 92Y and they were rotated front to back. The tread on these tyres has feathered badly on the inside edge badly when on the rear and now being on the front after 10,000km rotation sounds like a jumbo jet in the cabin at all speeds ( sorry no joke ) so am a bit pissed off.
    What tyres do you guys run and have you had any problems? I have posted to the tyre thread.
    The Mazda is a good car the power is amazing would be better if they had an AWD option to get it down better. Golf GTI is pretty good but not as quick but was not smokey from the turbo. Can the motor richness be changed?
    Thanks

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...tyre-wear.html
    richness can be tuned out, or accept it as a MPS thing and be glad your motor isnt leaning out

Service intervals are 15,000km OR 12 months
    The oil is more expensive for the golfs.
    Golfs blow the black smoke too, it's normal for direct injection turbo engines (dad has a tuned golf R, it blew smoke before and after the tune) the MPS does blow a bit more, but its nothing to worry about.
    Yes the MPS (more precisely the gen2) chews tyres a bit.

I do agree, the golf is a better car.
    But put it in perspective
    To buy and equip a golf to the same spec a MPS comes as standard you need to spend another minimum of $6,000 on a car that is already more expensive.
    That's a lot of new tyres and oil changes to make up the difference