User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 engine bay making clicking noises?

Default MPS 6 engine bay making clicking noises?

After a drive home, I noticed a clicking noise in the engine bay, I popped the bonnet and gave the tinyest rev, and sounded like the clicking noise was clicking faster.. any idea?

probably tappet or lifter noise. how many km? mines at 113 000km and needed a very mild adjustment for age. due for a service? thin or worn oil will increase tappet noise because the oil cant make it all the way up to the top of the engine as efficiently.

i used nulon 10-40w in my MPS6 service 2 weeks ago, wow what an improvement. snicktey clicky noise goneski. i also dumped the manual trans oil and replaced with Penrite SYN 75w-90. masssssive improvement to shift feel. also replaced brake fluid and had a significant improvement in clutch clamp force and smoothness (MPS6 runs a combined brake/clutch reservoir if you haven't noticed :P)
    Last edited by IceValk85; 03-06-2011 at 11:05 PM.

It could just be the sound of the engine, as direct injected motors idle more loudly

fuel pump as well, the pump is mechanical, and runs via the cam.

55xxx km, so nothing serious for me to worry about?

MPS can sound like a kids' percussion class if you listen out quite hard.

I would say based on your description that it is just the normal fuel pump and injector sounds as mentioned, maybe search some clips on you tube and listen to the engine noises (theres always a video of someone stuffing a video camera in their engine bay to show off their new bov), if yours sounds different it might need further investigation.

Just started up the cold engine this morning to let it warm up, and there was no clicking noise, it only happens after I drive it.. im scared

You REALLY need to meet with another 6 MPS owner or owners local to you, listen to their car and see if it does the same thing. Then ask all the questions you have and have them show you what all the stuff is you've been asking about recently.

You're going to worry yourself sick over analysing every single thing the car does and/or noise it makes ...

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    You REALLY need to meet with another 6 MPS owner or owners local to you, listen to their car and see if it does the same thing. Then ask all the questions you have and have them show you what all the stuff is you've been asking about recently.

You're going to worry yourself sick over analysing every single thing the car does and/or noise it makes ...
    Quoted for absolute truth ^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

11. Default

Heh... when my engine was making a louder then normal clicking noise... she was broken good...

But it was certainly louder then normal...

even a gen 1 3mps as they use the same engine. id put money on it being the direct injectors (they really do make the car sound like a diesel) or lifter noise.

if your worried, go see your trusted mechanic. i have 2, ones by best mate who is a diesel mech, the other is mark nixon auto here in townsville for more full on stuff

Well I found out that the clicking / ticking noise at idle and gets faster when reving, is normal. Strange but normal :l

Also in first and second gear, when I give it and step on the clutch there seems to be like.. a loudish clanking noise? Sounds like something rolling in the boot, but theres nothing in there -.-

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    Well I found out that the clicking / ticking noise at idle and gets faster when reving, is normal. Strange but normal :l

Also in first and second gear, when I give it and step on the clutch there seems to be like.. a loudish clanking noise? Sounds like something rolling in the boot, but theres nothing in there -.-
    That noise could be your rear diff mount moving.

It has something to do with the clutch. To be more precise now the sound is like when your about to stall, or the car door opening

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

"Klunk" noise

That could still be diff, or engine. If you're giving it a bit and suddenly back off for a gearchange, the engine will move because its no longer putting the power down. This can be transmitted to the diff because its all connected. And don't forget, because the rear diff is probably driving near 50% torque under hard acceleration in low gears (PTO mode), when you go to change gears its also a little clunky

Would all this be fixed by a rear engine mount and diff mount?

The clunk noise when you change gears hard is fixed by a firmer engine mount. I replaced mine with a CPe one for this very reason. You can get them from the USA from a few stores, protege garage, streetunit, therpmstore or locally from mpsgarage (all online stores). Sure there might be a few other places too.