User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing into 3rd gear

1. Default Changing into 3rd gear

Hello guys,

I want to know whether anyone experiences the problem of not being able to change into 3rd gear when pretty much giving it in the mazda 3 mps. E.g. trying to change into 3rd gear when 5k-6k revs. Almost everytime I try and change into 3rd when I am accelerating hard, it never goes into 3rd. It is like it hits a brick wall. I had the EXACT problem when I had a 2008 mps in the past. And now I am suffering from the same thing in this 2008 mps 3 that I have now.

Am I doing something wrong? I have never had this problem in any of my other cars such as mini coopers, wrx etc.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum. Didn't know where else to put it

I had this problem when I would give it hard on gear 1 and trying to change to gear 2, it would grind.. this was in an 280rkw S15 though

if you'd read around on the forums, you'd see this is one of the reasons the rear engine mount is changed. The original mount is quite soft allowing the engine/gearbox to twist probably a little too much.

I've had the same problem, and the engine mount helped a lot.

4. Default

Thanks for the reply guys. I think that is pretty stupid that we have to replace an engine mount to rectify a problem like this. At the end of a day, it is a sports car and I am surprised Mazda never done anything to rectify this problem.

How much does an engine mount cost roughly and wheres the best place in sydney to get it installed maybe? Does it affect warranty?

Thanks

The normal engine mounts quite soft. U will notice some vibrations from the engine after changing over to a aftermarket one. About cost and which ones to get, i've added some links here to give you a head start. Search is your best friend here and the forum staff here have improved the search function tremendously.. Most of the time fitting an aftermarket one shouldnt void your warranty as the dealers know how crap the engine mounts are so if you change it there's one less thing they need to worry about instead of getting a car later with the engine halfway out the below end. See how you go with these links...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...ne-mounts.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...pressions.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-my-shift.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ine-mount.html

6. Default

You are a legend mech81. Many thanks for those helpful links lol. And I completely agree with everything you wrote. I will try to get my hands on one. Don't know where but hopefully it doesn't cost that much.

cheers dude

The MPS is a performance car, but it's still based on a mass market car (Mazda 3). So there are always going to be some compromises in that respect, both to retain mass market appeal, and also to ensure cost remains competitive with the rest of the market.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

8. Default

I had exactly your problem till yesterday. Would either crunch or get locked out at WOT at 5000rpm plus.

I have changed to a cpe motor mount which made shifts alot nicer but did not fix the problem. Even tried the ssp but this made it even worse( yes i adjusted the shifter cable, for hours).
    It all helped gear changes but didn't not help my 3rd gear lockout/crunch.

This was the worst part of the car, almost 200 fwkw and a cluncky and fussy gearbox.

Yesterday i changed my gearbox fluid. After reading on us forums and here i thought bugger it, I bought castrol vmx80 from supercheap and changed the oil.

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS EARLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a new gearbox! No WOT crunch or lockout! And the shifts, oh my god so smooth and alot less notchy. I'm actually starting to fall in love with the car again and all for $50.

So easy to do and the best mod i have done to the car by far!!!!

Change your gearbox oil!!!

Yeah ima going to have to sort out my gb oil too I think - very crunchy into 2nd at any revs.. Though not too bad for the rest.
    Next service!! (I dont have anywhere to do it myself)

Quote Originally Posted by kccortez View Post
    I had exactly your problem till yesterday. Would either crunch or get locked out at WOT at 5000rpm plus.

I have changed to a cpe motor mount which made shifts alot nicer but did not fix the problem. Even tried the ssp but this made it even worse( yes i adjusted the shifter cable, for hours).
    It all helped gear changes but didn't not help my 3rd gear lockout/crunch.

This was the worst part of the car, almost 200 fwkw and a cluncky and fussy gearbox.

Yesterday i changed my gearbox fluid. After reading on us forums and here i thought bugger it, I bought castrol vmx80 from supercheap and changed the oil.

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS EARLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a new gearbox! No WOT crunch or lockout! And the shifts, oh my god so smooth and alot less notchy. I'm actually starting to fall in love with the car again and all for $50.

So easy to do and the best mod i have done to the car by far!!!!

Change your gearbox oil!!!
    +1
    The vmx80 is brilliant. No 'Wong Wong' diff noise either

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

11. Default

KCCORTES, thats freaking awesome! I am surprised that the CPE rear mount didn't fix it for you. I will definitely do this now! How hard/difficult is changing the gearbox oil? Also, does it always go into 3rd now??? Are you sure its not going into 3rd now so easily maybe as a result of the CPE being there as well?

Any more info would be great!!!
    Last edited by arashyyy_88; 04-06-2011 at 01:55 AM.

12. Default

Yeah I reckon this is just the way the gearboxes are, all of them do it.

I never had any problems getting into gear on my Gen 1 but there was always a bit of a clunk noise in the rear end when changing gear that I've not noticed in the Gen2.

from
    MMMPPPSSSEXY

14. Default

The rear mount helped it all feel a bit tighter but didn't help my 3rd gear woes. So far never have been locked out of 3rd. Feels like every other gear.

I'm not great with cars and it was so easy for me. 24mm socket is all i had to buy for the drain and fill plug. just used HOW TO: Transmission fluid change on MS3 *updated with some new info 11-15-07* and bought a $10 oil pump for it. Take the left wheel of for the drain plug and removed the plastic shroud underneath to remove fill plug. Easy

15. Default

Instead of opting for the CPE Rear mount I will just change my gearbox oil to this. Hopefully it fixes this stupid mps problem. If it doesn't i will change the rear mount.

Thanks for this awesome info dude. Really appreciate it. Will get it changed asap

The fluid WILL help, but the mount will make the biggest difference.

I changed my mount to the stiffest one (TRZ Dog Bone) and similar to kccortez, I still missed/hit the gate for 3rd... happens a greater percentage of the time when there is wheelspin at top of 2nd gear. I'll change oil next hopefully that fixes it entirely, the mount did help the everyday change into 3rd that i'd miss occasionally.

After Oil change if it still occurs i'll maybe re-tune the lever due to the SSP
    Then maybe Counterweight and Solid shift bushings...

If after that if i miss 3rd on hard changes i'll go by an auto lol
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by kccortez View Post
    castrol vmx80
    I have read alot of people are using Castrol VMX80 now. Is there any reason you didn't get Castrol Syntrans 75w85?

I understand VMX80 is cheaper as it's a mineral oil, but Syntrans (Full Synthetic GL4) seems like a good choice?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    The fluid WILL help, but the mount will make the biggest difference.
    Was the exact opposite for me.

I have this problem a fair bit, even with mount and new gear box oil and service, and always happens when I'm beside some knob head who thinks there v6 commy is the fastest car on the road, then when third won't slide in they actually believe there car is the best thing, and I find my second gears just as bad. Is only under the pump, pisses me off, I have ssp and cpe mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast