User Tag List

Thread: What is a rear engine mount?

Default What is a rear engine mount?

Is i anything similar too a FMIC or TMIC?

No nothing like that at all.

it is exactly what it says - its the rear engine mount.
    The thing that holds the engine in at the back of the engine.

TMIC is - Top Mount InterCooler - device that cools the air entering the turbo - one that sits on TOP of the engine - this is how our MPS' are standard.
    FMIC is Front Mount InterCooler - same use, just mounted in front of the engine rather than on top.

What does the rear engine mount do ? .. I've read people changing it

in theory it holds your engine steady... but the stock one is rather weak... so by putting an aftermarket one in, it helps with the power down feel, as the engine moves less, and gearchanges as well

Let me google that for you

for an idea why it's bad:
    YouTube - ‪mazdaspeed 3 engine movement‬‏

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

YouTube - ‪Mazdaspeed 3 Engine Movement While driving‬‏ another video of the engine
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Just a quick note.

If an abbreviated phrase (eg TMIC) is underlined, wave the cursor over the word and it will tell you what it is aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    What does the rear engine mount do ? .. I've read people changing it
    Seriously..............

Hi kh92.

The next WA cruise is on 11/06/11.
    8pm.
    2000hrs.
    Causeway carpark #1.
    Do come along. You'll be made very welcome.
    We'll have some very knowledgable people there, and we'd love to help you with your questions.
    You won't be the only nooby there, so don't worry.

Pete.

This forum is awesome. So many patient people willing to give info.

I got called stupid in the US forums the other day...I mean...how do they know that..They're just mean SOB's.

Rear Engine mount rates highly with members who have them. It's just the extra vibrations that come with it that concerns me.

I'm a chick and even I know what an engine mount is. I pretend I know what you guys are talking about with the rest of your abbreviations though.

Sooooo hate the us forum for that reason.
    They assume everyone is a genius.
    If everyone knew everything, what would be the point of the forum?

I have always been of the opinion that if you don't ask, you will never know.
    Those that now know, once didn't
    And
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

Just on the abreviations, do we have a sticky somewhere with all of them ? May be a handy reference for newbies and not so newbies.

noo i knew what fmic and tmic is i was asking if the rear mount is similar... because of the "mount"
    but yeah other then that.. i actually know stuff all.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post

You won't be the only nooby there, so don't worry.

Pete.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

One more... what is a DIFF MOUNT!?!

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    One more... what is a DIFF MOUNT!?!
    Seriously.. your joking about that one aren't you? in case your not, a diff mount is a mounting bracket that hold the rear differential in place.. the thing at the back of the car where the drive shaft and axles come together

Ah but what's a diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Ah but what's a diff?
    Just in case you are serious...

A differential is a mechanical device that takes 1 input (drive from the grearbox) and turns it into 2 outputs (drive shafts to wheels). The defining characteristic of a differential, as opposed to just some gears in a box, is that it allows for the 2 outputs to rotate at different speeds, to facilitate easier/smoother cornering.

In RWD cars, or the back end of AWD cars it also serves to turn the direction of rotation 90 degrees.

Hope this helps,

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Thanks Chris. I already knew that but you are a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    This forum is awesome. So many patient people willing to give info.

I got called stupid in the US forums the other day...I mean...how do they know that..They're just mean SOB's.

Rear Engine mount rates highly with members who have them. It's just the extra vibrations that come with it that concerns me.
    Not sure I want extra vibes!!!

Before joining this forum, I pretty much knew how to check oil and water and knew how to changes a tyre, having been lucky enough to have 2 flats in the past on the side of the road. And all I knew about the MPS when I bought it was that it looked friggin' awesome, I need to have this car, and that it went from 0-100 in 6.1 seconds . I'd always wanted a 'fast car' but never been able to afford one.

Everyone has been really patient with my dumbarse questions on here and not having all that much knowledge about cars, so yeah, what Brad said about the site being awesome .

Ps. I also didn't know what a rear engine mount was before joining, and didn't know what a diff mount is until this thread. So, call me dumb, but not all of us know the ins and outs of our cars . After reading some of the responses in here though, I'd be more inclined to google shit before asking .
    Last edited by Leelu; 03-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS