User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DGR Coilovers Review

Default DGR Coilovers Review

Ok well its been a while coming (stupid uni), but finally i get a chance to tell you all about the 2XS sourced DGR Coil-overs installed on my 3.

Reason I decided coil-overs and DGR's was mainly cause price was quite cheap at the time and only yellow-speeds came close to them $$$ wise. Was considering Springs and Shocks but for a set up i liked would cost over $1200. Plus if I wasn't happy with height i couldn't change it.

Installation wasn't too bad it takes a while but not many big issues thanks to Malicioso (Alex). Turned out my rear shocks were on the way out any way, so was happy to replace them. We didn't get height right first which took us a while to redo and probably added 1.5 hours.

I love the stance atm, and it not that low that it scrapes only on shocking driveways and if im not careful and drive front on into a parking spot. It did settle a bit after installation give it about 2 - 3 days to fully settle it.
    Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0269.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	8701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0192.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	8705
    After:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0278.jpg 
Views:	1057 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	8704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg 
Views:	883 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	8702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0281.jpg 
Views:	855 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	8703

Handling is seriously very good, for my area I'm running the fronts on a soft 5 out of 32 and the rears on 16 out of 32 and its not harsh at all. If the roads were better like in the Western Suburbs I'd have no issue running 10 on fronts. It's the fronts that affect the ride the most I've found.

Showing it a few corners the night after we installed the coil's and was amazed and how flat and stable it was. Few bumps mid bend didn't unsettle the car where i thought it would. So I'm very happy.

Alignment wise didn't need to much and the rear didn't need camber arms even though i brought some for it. If your in Melbourne and need Wheels, Tyres or anything go to Protek Tyres & Wheels they are a very nice bunch of guys and did a great job. Alignment and ensuring all corners of the car were level took only an hour. If you do run wider rubber then 225 on the rear id recommend rolling the rear guards (depends on the height).

Any other questions let me know .

Big thanks to Troy (2XS) for sourcing them
    Alex (Malicioso) for doing 95% of the installation
    Protek for Alignment and adjustment on the height.

James
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Nice review James

Also to those looking at doing the same I may be able to help out with installation and also if you'd like to contact Protek plz ask for John or Corey and tell them that Alex has put you through to them, they're real nice blokes and really know their stuff when it comes to suspension, wheels and tyres, I have been going to them for many years and have always done a fantastic job!

Cheers!

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Good write up

I have some questions for you...

- What height do you have from centre of wheels (middle of hub) to guard, both front and rear?

- Do you have any preload on front? If so how much?

Will also provide a write up on mine soon too, still trying to find the right setup for me.

Preload on the springs? If thats the case i left them the same as they were out of the box, just adjusted the bottom.

I'll measure them up tomorrow when i get a chance but i think 335mm sound familiar to me from the install day. (fronts) rear no idea.

IMO, having 7 front and 10 rear the rear end felt like it rolled a little more then fronts but not it feels about equal.

Question is should i do a Rear Sway to finish it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

Alignment wise didn't need to much and the rear didn't need camber arms even though i brought some for it. If your in Melbourne and need Wheels, Tyres or anything go to Protek Tyres & Wheels they are a very nice bunch of guys and did a great job. Alignment and ensuring all corners of the car were level took only an hour. If you do run wider rubber then 225 on the rear id recommend rolling the rear guards (depends on the height).

Nice write-up Jim

Re Protek, you might want to add them here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ll-states.html
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Dan will do

Preload is the amount of "squish" in the springs before the load is added to it.

Out of the box should be between 0mm and 2mm.

Recommended is 5-10mm

That is soooo low. Hows the comfort level? Does the partner mind the ride?

Looks very very nice.

Looks hawt! I'm booked for the DGR's with 2XS tomorrow, can't wait!

I'll measure them up tomorrow when i get a chance but i think 335mm sound familiar to me from the install day. (fronts) rear no idea.
    I think my fronts are 360mm hub centre to guard at the moment, same as you I'm unsure on rear measurements off the top of my head. This weekend I'll drop another 5-10mm on the front to try it. I'm happy with my rear setup so won't be changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Preload is the amount of "squish" in the springs before the load is added to it.

Out of the box should be between 0mm and 2mm.

Recommended is 5-10mm
    Where is the measurement taken from Troy?

Also quick question with the brake line holders how do they attach

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That is soooo low. Hows the comfort level? Does the partner mind the ride?

Looks very very nice.
    Partner really likes it over standard. We both found the standard ride.. its hard to explain but example of it was on even bouncy roads it would comfort the initial drop or bump but then the afterwards re-bound would be killer. Also it seemed to over react to to mild and hard bounces. Used to fling your neck around on the reaction sorta bad.

Now its even all the way around its obviously little harder on the initial bump but it absorbs it very well. It picks up little bumps (bumps not normally felt) but it does so in a 'comfort' manner no harshness. Medium bump is the same thing this is where is improved out of sight.

On harsh bumps there is a noise (loud thud) but this was more noticeable with a stiffer front adjustment (10/32) and now with it on (5/32) its not as often just on really sudden rises or falls.

Troy is pre loading only done on the front?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Cool, sounds promising. I'll just add them to the extensive "want list" I already have.

Keep us updated mate!

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend64 View Post
    Looks hawt! I'm booked for the DGR's with 2XS tomorrow, can't wait!
    I'm looking forward to your install too mate. Its going to look very nice. Make sure you bring out some pics!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Where is the measurement taken from Troy?

Also quick question with the brake line holders how do they attach

Troy is pre loading only done on the front?
    The measurement is taken before the weight is put back onto the car.
    Imagine the spring is loose (base is in contact,but not pushing on, the spring), wind the spring base up 5mm. That is 5mm preload.
    Eg. The front spring height is 180mm, if you "squish" the spring height to 175mm, this is 5mm of preload, 170mm is 10mm of preload.
    Preload increases the spring rate a small amount.

The brake line holders attach by wrapping around the strut body then join to the brakelines.

In the case of the Mazda 3, preload can effectively be put on the front. The rear is a little more complex.
    The rear can be done, you need to shorten the travel of the rear shock so you need to compress the rear spring to get the shock mounting bolt back into place.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Awesome, seems easy enough to do, i think Alex and I did pre load the rear but not 100%. good news about the brake line adapters too

Hey dude on the rear we just made the shock to a certain length as to keep the rear springs captive, the front already seem to have some pre-load but could still give them a bit more, can compress the spring a little bit with the tools I have and wind up the perch and locking ring. Also good to hear the brake line bracket clamp around the shock bodies, if all goes well I might look into the DGRs for my car once I get to the purchasing stage.

Also agree that camber adjustment is not a necessary, for a 1" drop you would be lucky to see up to 1deg neg camber on the rear, the front may be a bit more but like you said James your car wasn't that far out.
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    I think my fronts are 360mm hub centre to guard at the moment, same as you I'm unsure on rear measurements off the top of my head. This weekend I'll drop another 5-10mm on the front to try it. I'm happy with my rear setup so won't be changing it.
    Fronts are 335mm and Rear is 320mm both are +/- 2 mm just cause was hard to measure without it being flush.

My tyres are 225/45/18 aswell.
    MPSX-treme

Thanks for measuring that and posting it.

its cool man happy to help

I fitted some on a Gen 2 today.
    I must say that the camber/toe adjusters were needed on the rears due to the excessive camber from a 1" drop

10mm preload on the front.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast