User Tag List

View Poll Results: Please choose your car, MILD or WILD mod level and Standard or Upgraded Fueld PUMP

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you have a GENI, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and Standard fuel pump?

17 54.84%
  • Do you have a GENI, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and Standard fuel pump?

1 3.23%
  • Do you have a GENI, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

3 9.68%
  • Do you have a GENI, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

2 6.45%
  • Do you have a GENII, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and Standard fuel pump?

7 22.58%
  • Do you have a GENII, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and Standard fuel pump?

0 0%
  • Do you have a GENII, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

0 0%
  • Do you have a GENII, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL "What Mods do you have and did you change your Fuel Pump?"

Default POLL "What Mods do you have and did you change your Fuel Pump?"

After some discussions with fellow Mazdaspeeder’s in the US I thought I’d start a poll on whether you have changed your fuel pump and what mods are you running.
    Their view is that the fuel pump is the FIRST mod you must do before moving towards DP, SRI’s IC’s etc. Apparently low pressures on the GENI have caused ZOOM ZOOM BOOM (their words).
    So far though, none seem to know of an actual case of a GENII going up in smoke. They are very interested in the longevity of cars that have had these mods and any scary moments Aussies member may have had…if any!
    I have never started a poll before, so forgive me if it doesn’t work. I know there is already a thread on this, so apologies for repeating.
    Please add detail to your response, something like this:
    Mod 1:
    Mod 2:
    Mod 3:
    New Fuel Pump? Y/N
    Fuel Pump Type?
    How old are your mods?
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom?

Thanks all.
    Brad

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Me First!

Mod 1: Down Pipe
    Mod 2: Custom Exhaust
    Mod 3: K&N Panel filter
    New Fuel Pump? N
    Fuel Pump Type? OEM
    How old are your mods? 12months
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom? No Boom
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I don't have any performance mods on mine yet, but I'll be watching this thread with interest

Mod 1: TMIC
    Mod 2: SRI + TIP
    Mod 3: DP
    New Fuel Pump? Y/N nope
    Fuel Pump Type? N/A
    How old are your mods? 6 months
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom? nope (fingers crossed)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I wondering if this issue afflicts the MPS6?

What fuel pumps can people reccomend for the mazda 6 mps that are affordable and do the job ??

Mazdaspeedforum have really taken to the fuel pump idea. We seem to think it doesn't affect us as much because we don't get very cold weather in Oz but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Cton and one or 2 others I know have logged their cars and have found no reason to upgrade the fuel pump with modest modifications. I have seen no evidence to suggest upgrading the fuel pump is necessary unless you're doing what Luke and Mitch are. As far as I know Troy had an upgraded turbo and still used the stock fuel pump (correct me if i'm wrong)

I'd like to see more evidence and information on cars in america leaning out and exploding because if you ask mazdaspeedforum, they seem to me to be wrongly convinced that any modified MPS needs a new fuel pump regardless.

Is it possible that US spec vehicles have different fuel pumps to ours?

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Mazdaspeedforum have really taken to the fuel pump idea. We seem to think it doesn't affect us as much because we don't get very cold weather in Oz but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Cton and one or 2 others I know have logged their cars and have found no reason to upgrade the fuel pump with modest modifications. I have seen no evidence to suggest upgrading the fuel pump is necessary unless you're doing what Luke and Mitch are. As far as I know Troy had an upgraded turbo and still used the stock fuel pump (correct me if i'm wrong)

I'd like to see more evidence and information on cars in america leaning out and exploding because if you ask mazdaspeedforum, they seem to me to be wrongly convinced that any modified MPS needs a new fuel pump regardless.
    It's almost an obsession with those guys. Its why I thought it might be interesting to start a poll, see where Aussies are at. Once I get a nice cross section, I'll head back over and "share" (rub their nose in it). No doubt they'll start swearing at me...

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    I wondering if this issue afflicts the MPS6?
    I encourgage MPS6 owners to vote as well. All data is useful!!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Yea there's no point in trying to argue with them over it. Theyre that convinced about it. If you replace it and nothing happens then the pump did its job. If you don't and it explodes then they told you so. All I know is there are dozens of modified cars on this forum without fuel pump upgrades and we are all going just fine for now. It does only need to lean out once for everything to come undone tho, and from everything I read that is thanks to something malfunctioning as opposed to the pump simply not being able to take it. This could mean an internal fault in the pump, through to a bug in the engine control software or even a partially blocked injector.

The Mazdaspeed3 and MPS arent completely identical, im not sure whether that carries through to the fuel pump tho. There is little reason for that to differ.

I'd get together a list of cars that have blown up. The only one I know in any detail is Mitch and his was stock when it went wrong for him. And the so called engineer that investigated his car couldn't figure it out.

It would be good for QTR Mile Beast to weigh in on the debate.
    Last edited by Reedy; 01-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Evidence to suggest upgrading the fuel pump is necessary unless you're doing what Luke and Mitch are. As far as I know Troy had an upgraded turbo and still used the stock fuel pump (correct me if i'm wrong)
    ^This

You not wrong

Voted MILD with no upgraded pump.
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 01-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

yes, CPE hpfp

Can i just list the parts i dont have?

High lift cams
    oversize valves
    porting polishing
    injectors

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I had fuel issues with mine, BNR turbo stage 1, sri, TIP, tbe, it would cut.

Mod 1: CP-E CAI
    Mod 2: CP-E DP
    Mod 3: Full 3" exhaust
    Mod 4: ETS TMIC
    Mod 5: PG 2.5" TIP
    Mod 6: colder spark plugs
    Mod 7: BNR stage 3 turbo
    Mod 8: EzyFlash pro (tune still not 100%)
    New Fuel Pump? NO
    How old are your mods? Turbo has been on for over 10,000k's now
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom? Not yet. last time i check the fuel pressure seemed to be holding. Before i got the EzyFlash i would get fuel cut at about 6000rpm @17psi. probably because the AFR was very rich. dont seem to have that problem any more

Mod 1: Turbo Back Exhaust (2 years)
    Mod 2: SRI (18 months)
    Mod 3: TIP (14 months)
    Mod 4:FMIC (12 months)
    Mod 5: Hypertech Tune (6 months)
    New Fuel Pump: No
    Fuel Pump Type: OEM
    How old are your mods: Specified above for each mod.
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom: No

14. Default

Mod 1: CP-E Dump & Catback
    Mod 2: Injen CAI (Chopped to allow other mods)
    Mod 3: FMIC (ATP)
    Mod 4: Short Shifter
    Mod 5: Turbo GT3071 (ATP)
    Mod 6: Forged Pistons
    Mod 7: Turbo GT3071 (ATP)
    Mod 8: Boost Cut Killer (Now removed)
    Mod 9: Street Unit Engine mount (now removed)
    Mod 10: CP-E Rear Engine mount
    Mod 11: Forged Rods
    Mod 12: Cometic Head Gasket
    Mod 13: CPE Standback (about to tune)
    Mod 14: HKS SSQ BOV (plump back, now vents to atmo)
    Mod 15: Fidanza Lightend Flywheel
    Mod 16: Spec Stage 2+ Clutch kit

New Fuel Pump? Y
    Fuel Pump Type? MrLilGuy (before anyone was making the fuel pump changes)
    How old are your mods? Varies
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom? Twice (Gearbox (2nd gear) and Enginen (50psi boom))

previous setup
    Mod 1: Corksport Down Pipe
    Mod 2: PG v3 Exhaust Manifold
    Mod 3: Corksport Catback
    Mod 4: Injen CAI
    Mod 5: Medieval TIP
    Mod 6: PG Front Mount kit
    Mod 7: Standback2 + PNP
    New Fuel Pump: N
    Fuel Pump Type: OEM
    How old are your mods? most are over 1 year edit: the dp and mani are over a year the rest are at least 4yrs
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom: No Boom
    Car use to cut without the SB tuned, after tune all was good. I have other mods but not power related - sway bar, coils etc

Current setup
    Mod 1: Corksport Down Pipe
    Mod 2: Corkpsort Catback
    Mod 3: Hypertech

more to come again lol
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 04-06-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

The cold weather has a BIG impact on the pressure.
    The colder air is more dense so it requires more fuel demand.
    I logged my car on the weekend a few times @ 13'c. My fuel pressure is OK.
    That's with a tune @ 17psi. DP, TIP, SRI. Bit over 200kwatw.

How about running in minus temperatures? On the way to WP the other week I was driving in -2 temps. Come July when I head down to the snow it will be colder still.

Mod 1: Forge BPV V2
    Mod 2: CPE TIP
    Mod 4: CPE catted DP
    Mod 5: Hyperflow TMIC
    Mod 6: 2XS shrouded SRI
    Mod 7: Ecutek Flash Tune
    Mod 8: Sure REM
    New Fuel Pump: Y
    Fuel Pump Type: CPE HPFP
    How old are your mods? 7 Months
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom: No Boom

214kw @ 15psi and still trucking along happily

Yea there's no point in trying to argue with them over it. Theyre that convinced about it. If you replace it and nothing happens then the pump did its job. If you don't and it explodes then they told you so. All I know is there are dozens of modified cars on this forum without fuel pump upgrades and we are all going just fine for now. It does only need to lean out once for everything to come undone tho, and from everything I read that is thanks to something malfunctioning as opposed to the pump simply not being able to take it. This could mean an internal fault in the pump, through to a bug in the engine control software or even a partially blocked injector.

The Mazdaspeed3 and MPS arent completely identical, im not sure whether that carries through to the fuel pump tho. There is little reason for that to differ.

I'd get together a list of cars that have blown up. The only one I know in any detail is Mitch and his was stock when it went wrong for him. And the so called engineer that investigated his car couldn't figure it out.

It would be good for QTR Mile Beast to weigh in on the debate.
    The issue the Mazdaspeed guys are hot and bothered about is not to do with the physical fuel pump (this is the same between Gen I and Gen II), but the difference in ECU programming between the Gen I and Gen II, and how it utilises the fuel pump under full boost WOT.

The Gen II ECU apparently puts the fuel pump under a higher level of stress than the Gen I by:

- Increasing the injector pulse width when fuel pressure drops below ~1600 PSI
    - Having higher resolution ignition advance tables and a more aggressive factory ignition curve, which apparently puts a higher stress on the fuel pump under knock retard (KR)
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 01-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

And their solution to that problem is to replace the physical fuel pump? See, that's what I mean, it seemed a little misguided to me and that puts a lot of it into perspective. But still doesn't fix the root cause.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast