User Tag List

View Poll Results: Please choose your car, MILD or WILD mod level and Standard or Upgraded Fueld PUMP

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you have a GENI, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and Standard fuel pump?

17 54.84%
  • Do you have a GENI, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and Standard fuel pump?

1 3.23%
  • Do you have a GENI, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

3 9.68%
  • Do you have a GENI, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

2 6.45%
  • Do you have a GENII, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and Standard fuel pump?

7 22.58%
  • Do you have a GENII, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and Standard fuel pump?

0 0%
  • Do you have a GENII, MILD modifications (SRI/CAI, DP IC) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

0 0%
  • Do you have a GENII, WILD modifications (bigger Turbo/upgraded internals) and UPGRADED fuel pump?

1 3.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL "What Mods do you have and did you change your Fuel Pump?"

Engine only Listed
    Mod 1 TMIC 5mths
    Mod 2 CPE Ti 12mths
    Mod 3 Full 3in Intake 12mths
    Mod 4 K&n Filter 12 mths
    Mod 5 Turbosmart Kompact BPV 9 mths
    Mod 6 D/P . 12 mths
    Mod 7 Ecuteck tune 4 mths
    Mod 8 Full Silicone pipework 5 mths
    OEM Fuel Pump 22mths
    No issues at WOT fuel pressure @ moment. Fuel pump monitored via Dashawk. 1650 to 1675psi 4th gear WOT 15lb boost.

IMO a lot of USA owners are doing there own tunes via Accessport and leaning car out way to much. TOO many think they are tuners and not fully understanding the complexities of DISI and ECU. Just interested in HP only

reedy, Thats so it will not drop below 1600psi to start off. so then it doesnt increase the injector pulse width,
    Those Minus temps you have driven in would be a true test to it, but without Data logging youll never know.
    Id be willing to lend you my logger if you have an iphone and want to test it out at those temps. You cant read the Logs on the spot, but you could email the log back to me from your phone and i can read it with the Logworks software on my Imac.

Yea might be worthwhile Cton, i'm heading to wakefield park on the 13th so could get some cold weather driving as well as some track work logged if you think that would provide us with some interesting data?

I also have an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post

IMO a lot of USA owners are doing there own tunes via Accessport and leaning car out way to much. TOO many think they are tuners and not fully understanding the complexities of DISI and ECU. Just interested in HP only
    That is what I'm beginning to believe also

Sent from my iPhone using soon to be uninstalled POS Tapatalk App (fix the damn app you mofos!!!)
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Yes i recon that too, but some are less inclind that way

Legit GT40R Twinscroll? - Mazdaspeed Forums

Further to this discussion, the DISI engine has been developed to run rich (OEM) so as to inject extra fuel to cool cyclinder walls.
    Most but not all USA problems seem to be in conjunction with (very cold climate) (venting to atmosphere then unmetered air into system) (over boosting) (very thin oils to counteract Climate) and generally chasing high output.
    These engines are very torqey and should hold 300HP easilly, but like anything if u push the limits without doing it properly like rebuilding correctly then BOOM.
    Another item that should be adhered to is to not mash the pedal in higher gears under load ,change down and get rpm or BOOM ,heaps of torque remember.
    I have had both Gen 1 and gen 2 and No issues with fuel pump. Lastly if u are comfortable with modded fuel pump ,then go with it ,it cant hurt.
    Good ive had my rant.

Really good info guys. Thank you.

I voted MILD, because I didn't do the engine internals either.

Mod 1: Custom SRI
    Mod 2: Custom FMIC
    Mod 3: Custom exhaust manifold
    Mod 4: Custom DP
    Mod 5: Custom exhaust
    Mod 6: Garrett GT28/76r @ 24psi
    Mod 7: Custom Chiptorque tune (257fwKw)

New Fuel Pump? No. I had the standard fuel pump flowed. It's good for 360hp@wheels (approx 280ish Kw)
    Fuel Pump Type? Stock

How old are your mods?
    12,000+ Kms for the turbo upgrade
    I drove for 8 months with the tune from the standard turbo before I had it retuned too
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom? None. The new owner has since had it de-tuned to 17psi and still no boom

To make things more exciting, I did the following to prove it possible.
    I ran a HKS SSQ BOV 100% VTA with the bigger turbo. No boom. No fuel cut. No cylinders washed of oil. No CEL
    I ran the stock BOV @ 24psi (turbo upgrade). No leak.
    I ran the stock TIP (with stock turbo) and made over 200Kw @ wheels and ran 13.06. No restriction.
    Last edited by 2XS; 01-06-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Bump!

Only 20 members? Doesn't take much to click a button. You don't have to give specifics.

It's anonymous too.

Engine
    Mod 1 SRI 12mnths
    Mod 2 Turbosmart DualPort 11mnths
    Mod 3 BM DP 10mnths
    Mod 4 FMIC 9mnths
    Mod 5 ChipTorque Flash Tune 8mnths

New Fuel Pump? N
    OEM Fuel pump 15mnths

No dramas that I am aware of!

Also, if anyone wouldn't mind PMing me the results of your datalogging of your fuel pressures, I would be grateful. The US guys say that anything under 1600, cause a spiraling affect, engine leans out, pressure drops again, etc etc, then boom.

mine dropped as low as 800-1200 at 5000rpm depending on air temps i was running standard tune, than naturally it would cut. I was running BNR stage 1, TBE, SRI,TIP
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Interesting thought, there is a relation to Injector pulse width and VVT degrees, could a hidden problem lie in that area of the zoom zoom boom???

My vote is top end of mild.

Did 2 more logs this morning, early @ 9-10'c.
    Fuel pressure is looking good even at those temps.
    thats a full 3rd gear pull and a 2nd+3rd gear pull.

16. Default

Hey there guys... I'm one of the dudes from the states and I'm an MSF member. I can personally testify that the physical hardware of the pumps is what fails. We haven't had too many people who have blown because of the fuel pump recently. Back in the day, there were probably more because we couldn't monitor fuel pressure. Since then, we usually catch the pump before it goes to hell.

I can show you logs from our users where fuel pressure is dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    And their solution to that problem is to replace the physical fuel pump? See, that's what I mean, it seemed a little misguided to me and that puts a lot of it into perspective. But still doesn't fix the root cause.
    The gen2 fuel pumps do fail more frequently and sooner because of the ECU logic (that seems to be the theory, anyway), but the hardware is still what's failing.

It's got nothing to do with leaning out. The pumps don't fail when the car gets leaned out. They typically fail when you start upping the boost. Our AP maps target higher boost than most you guys are running (I think), so that's probably a contributing factor to the failure. I can assure you that we're well aware of tuning limitations, and we know how to tune safely.

Further to this discussion, the DISI engine has been developed to run rich (OEM) so as to inject extra fuel to cool cyclinder walls.
    Most but not all USA problems seem to be in conjunction with (very cold climate) (venting to atmosphere then unmetered air into system) (over boosting) (very thin oils to counteract Climate) and generally chasing high output.
    These engines are very torqey and should hold 300HP easilly, but like anything if u push the limits without doing it properly like rebuilding correctly then BOOM.
    Another item that should be adhered to is to not mash the pedal in higher gears under load ,change down and get rpm or BOOM ,heaps of torque remember.
    I have had both Gen 1 and gen 2 and No issues with fuel pump. Lastly if u are comfortable with modded fuel pump ,then go with it ,it cant hurt.
    Good ive had my rant.
    Eh... Conjecture.

A few things... These cars run like shit rich... Anything richer than an 11.5 is way too rich and the car runs like dick. Cold climate contributes to the issue (mostly because of increased boost pressure due to denser air), but we've had people from warm areas (Texas, California, Florida, etc...) with failed fuel pumps.

Second thing... We have very few people running VTA. There's plenty of failed fuel pumps that ran recirc the whole time. Also on this note... How does VTA result in unmetered air in the system?

Third, I'm using 5w-40 for my oil and I've been through several pumps. I also fail to see why the oil contributes to failed fuel pumps (maybe the cam follower on the fuel pump?)

Fourth... These motors hold a hell of a lot more than 300

Bottom line is that it is a problem in the states. It's not a made up pandemic or anything like that. Here, if you modify your car, your fuel pump will fail eventually. It's inevitable.

It's not just our cars either. The VW crowd (who uses the same fuel pump) have the same issues.

Oh, and for giggles, my mod list

Mod 1: ATP GT3076R
    Mod 2: Mideival Exhaust Manifold
    Mod 4: Ported Intake Manifold
    Mod 5: Corksport TBE (Catless)
    Mod 6: Custom 3.5" Intake/Inlet and MAF Housing
    Mod 7: TurboXS FMIC
    Mod 8: TurboSmart Dual Port BOV
    Mod 9: Denso ITV22s
    Mod 10: Devil's Own Water Meth Injection
    Mod 11: Custom PCV System
    Mod 12: COBB Accessport With Custom Map
    New Fuel Pump: Y
    Fuel Pump Type: CPE HPFP
    How old are your mods? 7 Months
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom: No Boom
    Boost: 25 psi street/27 psi track
    Power: 450ish whp

Quote Originally Posted by jwilkins88 View Post
    Hey there guys... I'm one of the dudes from the states and I'm an MSF member. I can personally testify that the physical hardware of the pumps is what fails. We haven't had too many people who have blown because of the fuel pump recently. Back in the day, there were probably more because we couldn't monitor fuel pressure. Since then, we usually catch the pump before it goes to hell.

I can show you logs from our users where fuel pressure is dropping.

The gen2 fuel pumps do fail more frequently and sooner because of the ECU logic (that seems to be the theory, anyway), but the hardware is still what's failing.

It's got nothing to do with leaning out. The pumps don't fail when the car gets leaned out. They typically fail when you start upping the boost. Our AP maps target higher boost than most you guys are running (I think), so that's probably a contributing factor to the failure. I can assure you that we're well aware of tuning limitations, and we know how to tune safely.

Eh... Conjecture.

A few things... These cars run like shit rich... Anything richer than an 11.5 is way too rich and the car runs like dick. Cold climate contributes to the issue (mostly because of increased boost pressure due to denser air), but we've had people from warm areas (Texas, California, Florida, etc...) with failed fuel pumps.

Second thing... We have very few people running VTA. There's plenty of failed fuel pumps that ran recirc the whole time. Also on this note... How does VTA result in unmetered air in the system?

Third, I'm using 5w-40 for my oil and I've been through several pumps. I also fail to see why the oil contributes to failed fuel pumps (maybe the cam follower on the fuel pump?)

Fourth... These motors hold a hell of a lot more than 300

Bottom line is that it is a problem in the states. It's not a made up pandemic or anything like that. Here, if you modify your car, your fuel pump will fail eventually. It's inevitable.

It's not just our cars either. The VW crowd (who uses the same fuel pump) have the same issues.

Oh, and for giggles, my mod list

Mod 1: ATP GT3076R
    Mod 2: Mideival Exhaust Manifold
    Mod 4: Ported Intake Manifold
    Mod 5: Corksport TBE (Catless)
    Mod 6: Custom 3.5" Intake/Inlet and MAF Housing
    Mod 7: TurboXS FMIC
    Mod 8: TurboSmart Dual Port BOV
    Mod 9: Denso ITV22s
    Mod 10: Devil's Own Water Meth Injection
    Mod 11: Custom PCV System
    Mod 12: COBB Accessport With Custom Map
    New Fuel Pump: Y
    Fuel Pump Type: CPE HPFP
    How old are your mods? 7 Months
    Any Zoom Zoom Boom: No Boom
    Power: 450ish whp
    Hi jWilkins88, gald to see u here u prob know my by my avatar
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Excellent input, thank you. I suppose it could come down to statistics. How many MPS/MS3 are sold in the US vs Oz. Our US brothers and sisters have access to some cheap modding hardware as well, more of them push their cars and therefore we see more failures.

But can you imagine walking into a Mazda dealership, with your car on a tow truck saying "hey, my engines blown, warranty please". No dealer has said anything to me about my mods. But you know it's the first thing they'll point at when things go wrong.

How much is a CPE fuel pump? :P
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

VTA is all metered, air is still being drawn past the MAF at a rate that wouldn't be consistant with recirc, the air is escaping and only the fuel enters the system. A little off topic but meh

Quote Originally Posted by jwilkins88 View Post
    25-27 psi! Fark me! what is this?, a time attack car.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast