User Tag List

Thread: Fuel light mps6

Default Fuel light mps6

Hi guys (and gals of course), tried to a thread search but no happiness resulted.

Has anyone tried their luck to see how many k's they can get out of a tank after the light comes on?

My ecu tells me that I generally have 20-25 km left when I see the light come on. That been said, I have driven slightly past the point that the computer says to me 0km left, not that I like to run my tank dry every time, but it would be handy to know!

Cheers

ps: why does it not calculate the fuel in the tank correctly so when the range reaches 0km you literally run out of fuel?
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Could be worse my old Celica used to have the light go on when you had 1/3 of a tank left, around 200km. Lowest I've gotten it is around 5L left in the tank, don't remember how many km after the light that was though.

I'm pretty sure they have it come on early for 2 reasons.
    1 - The sensor they use won't be perfectly accurate (they would also differ car from car to a degree) so I'd suggest they err on the side of caution.
    2 - People are stupid. There will be some moron who will run the car dry and then rant and rave about how it said he still had 2km left. Anyone else imagine an American suing?

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the ECU had a much more realistic impression of how many km are left and they just offset it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    Could be worse my old Celica used to have the light go on when you had 1/3 of a tank left, around 200km. Lowest I've gotten it is around 5L left in the tank, don't remember how many km after the light that was though.

I'm pretty sure they have it come on early for 2 reasons.
    1 - The sensor they use won't be perfectly accurate (they would also differ car from car to a degree) so I'd suggest they err on the side of caution.
    2 - People are stupid. There will be some moron who will run the car dry and then rant and rave about how it said he still had 2km left. Anyone else imagine an American suing?

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the ECU had a much more realistic impression of how many km are left and they just offset it a bit.
    I agree with this. They have to allow for the stupid factor of some people.

Only had my fuel light come on twice and the lowest i got was about 15ks

I've driven probably 60km on the empty light, and one of the furthest drives was recently, where I rolled into the servo with <2l in my tank...desperate times call for desperate measures!

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    I've driven probably 60km on the empty light, and one of the furthest drives was recently, where I rolled into the servo with <2l in my tank...desperate times call for desperate measures!
    Does anyone have an idea of the capacity of the 6's tank? 50l?
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

MPS is 60L I am pretty sure

7. Default

It is 60L. My understanding is the number of kms left in your tank is based on your average fuel consumption as the computer knows it. You may be driving more conservatively or more agressive than wwhat your average says therefore this will chaneg the actual amoutn of kms left you have in your tank.

If you leave it on that setting and drive you will see your kms to empty chaanges according to how your average fuel consumption changes.

I have driven a fair way past '0' left but didnt take note of how far as I had an irate passenger yelling profanities at me at the time
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

In the Gen 2, I have gone past the one bar, so the gauge had nothing and filled up and had 5l left.

In mine when the light comes on, there is on average 10L - 15L left.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

9. Default

Like every Mazda fuel gauge.....
    Slow for the top half... Super fast for the bottom half...

Blog Entries

My best effort was in driving to Kalgoorlie. Fuel light came on half way between Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie and I think I drove the last 30k showing 0km left. Got in to Kal and refuelled and only took 51 litres! My passenger was looking a little nervous up till then. I recall that the average consumption that trip was about 6.8l/100km so the computer was certainly erring on the side of caution. BTW Perth to Kalgoorlie (760km+/-) on one tank.

57.8L of fuel put in the tank last week. I reckon I drove for I reckon about 70-80km.

Wont run it that close again, I was a bit nervous