User Tag List

Thread: Tax refund improvements - advice!?

Default Tax refund improvements - advice!?

I'm coming in to some cash around tax time and I've budgeted <$2k to spend on my car. Once spent - that will be it - no more mods.

Would I be better off getting a Turbo to cat exhaust (I'm pretty sure the cat-back is fine from my reading).
    - Key benefit being a nicer sportier note and a little power

or the Chiptorque flash?
    - key benefit being more power, but mostly a more even spread of power and less limitation. (I think it would be a nicer all round drive without the OEM restrictions).

I was also going to throw in an engine mount, but am second-guessing that now in case I end up with ridiculous vibrations in my daily drive.

Any advice on Brisbane Vendors also appreciated.

PS: I only have an SRI at this point.

Dump pipe is about 1k - 2XS i think are in QLD and do the dump pipes for the 3. Aussie made and proven results.
    Custom exhaust after dump pipe should set you back about $800 - mild steel, mandrel bent. Stainless is good, but it will be loud and possibly drone. $$ are on the exhaust/resonator out the back. Get a good one.
    Throw in engine mount for $200 - Sure motorsports.
    The other option is the Hypertech tuner - i think it works on the Gen 1, no love yet for the Gen 2. US seller on this forum is the go (Advancespeed). - approx $500 AUD shipped.

I was just about to ask the exact same question ..
    I'm thinking dump pipe, hypertech , jbr rear mount and in dash DVD and maybe some yellow coilovers >3k ? And if I get more hyperflow tmic ?

On a $2000 budget, get a DP (2XS or CP-e, Just don't order from MPSG), Hypertech tune and a SURE rear Engine mount.

If you have any money left over get a Rear Swaybar as well.

I have the Street grade engine mount, after about 1000k's the vibrations are mostly gone, the improved drivability is just so worth it. It improves the daily driveability in a lot of ways because the clutch will actually have some feel to it for once.
    Last edited by Reedy; 31-05-2011 at 01:01 PM.

SRI $300ish
    intake pipe $200ish
    Engine mount $200ish
    corksport DP $400ish ( reuse 2nd cat) not sure if troy has on that can do this?
    hypertech flash $450 ish
    Rear sway bar $300ish

PS hope you can do install yourself

Are you going to fit the mods yourself? The DP would be the hardest out of all of the mods you'd get so did you budget in labour?

You can find good prices for a Hypertech in the US stores just need to setup a forwarder

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like the exhaust is the best way to go. A SURE engine mount will probably be in there too since wheel-hop is embarrasing.

Raffa, I was also considering the Double-din GPS/DVD and speaker combo. It's still a possibility but it was looking to be pretty expensive since I'd have to replace the whole BOSE system (I hate the BOSE, but it might sound okay after some cheap dynomatting).

Don't know much about hypertech yet, but it also sounds good - will do some reading.

I won't be doing any of the installs myself... I have feeble office worker hands and operating a toaster is about the limit of my mechanical abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Citrix View Post
    I won't be doing any of the installs myself... I have feeble office worker hands and operating a toaster is about the limit of my mechanical abilities.
    Sounds familiar
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Citrix View Post

Raffa, I was also considering the Double-din GPS/DVD and speaker combo. It's still a possibility but it was looking to be pretty expensive since I'd have to replace the whole BOSE system (I hate the BOSE, but it might sound okay after some cheap dynomatting).
    Yeah looked at that one too , but I'm concerned bout some of the grafix quality one that on I've found a few other ones on eBay
    But I guess you get what you pay for !!
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

I've since had the seller confirm that it will wipe the A/C display on <07 models (Mines 06). So I've ruled it out.

If you want quality gear at cheaper rates, you can try the Pioneer factory seconds store at https://shop.pioneer.com.au/itf/phx/phoenix.nsf/Index Huge reductions on reconditioned units.

DP, REM, springs and Hypertech. $2K spent.

DP - makes power.
    REM - puts more power to the ground.
    Springs - improve handling.
    Hypertech - cleans up the power/torque curve. Also improves power.

I have the DPs, I have a secondhand REM and springs. And I can fit it all.
    Advancespeed can look after you with the Hypertech.

What rem have you got Troy?

hole in stock airbox. best free mod around

edit: nvm looks like you got a SRI already

id probably get dump , engine mount and hypertech. when your shocks go, get some new struts and springs
    Last edited by lup15; 02-06-2011 at 11:08 PM.

14. Default

Hard decision, inbetween those 2 choices I would do the exhaust. Nice sounds + more power .

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    DP, REM, springs and Hypertech. $2K spent.

DP - makes power.
    REM - puts more power to the ground.
    Springs - improve handling.
    Hypertech - cleans up the power/torque curve. Also improves power.

I have the DPs, I have a secondhand REM and springs. And I can fit it all.
    Advancespeed can look after you with the Hypertech.
    + 1 Do the DP!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

16. Default momo

Found this site while tearing my thinning hair out.My SP20 has no spark untill it
    decides to have one.Have replaced Crank angle sensor,Cam angle sensor and had
    ECU diagnostic,still no luck.Could it be immobiliser problem?Any idea's,anyone?