User Tag List

Thread: Coilovers, Coils, Springs, Suspension ???

Default Coilovers, Coils, Springs, Suspension ???

So.. are coilovers, and springs two different things? could someone explain to me the whole thing lol

Well......TECHNICALLY
    A "coilover" is exactly as it sounds Coil (aka spring) - over - Shock absorber
    So the shock absorber goes through the coil spring.

Most people refer to a "coilover" incorrectly.
    What they talk about here is "adjustable coilovers"
    With them you can adjust the preload on the spring by winding the plate that sits on the spring up or down to adjust ride hight. also the dampening (firmness) of the shock absorber is adjustable. sometimes camber and caster. Very adjustable to get your handling just as you want it, but also VERY easy to get it completely wrong if you have no clue

Coilover = shocks + springs
    With a coilover kit, you can (like what bd581 mention above) adjust the ride height, dampen and camber. Not all coilover kit provide all 3 features. But all kits will allow you adjust the ride height. So you can have the car sitting really low on 1 day and normal ride height on others.

Springs = Springs
    This is used when you want to lower your car (hence improving handling) and continue using your current/factory shocks. Benefits is it's much cheaper than the coilover. Disadvantage is the ride height is not adjustable.
    Addicted to Boost.

So if I wanted to lower my car, I would need coil overs? Aftermarket springs and OEM shocks wont work?

Springs will be fine with the OEM shocks if you "just" want it lower. Ideally , its better to match a lowered spring with a suited shock, but you can get away with it.....

Ahh, I guess I'll be getting the "coilover" then

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

BTW are there different sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    So if I wanted to lower my car, I would need coil overs? Aftermarket springs and OEM shocks wont work?
    I run lowered springs with OEM shocks.
    It totally depends what you want. And how much cash you got. haha.
    Something like Eibach or H&R springs with a Koni yellow Or Bilstein shocks, will far outdo most coilovers unless your going to spend BIG dollars.

You can fit "just" springs to lower your car.

Fit struts/shocks to improve handling (or fix the OEM leaking ones)

Coilovers are for the next step really. Height adjustable, bump/rebound adjustable and sometimes camber adjustable.