User Tag List

Thread: Car Whistles - Boost leak?

Default Car Whistles - Boost leak?

My car has just started to make a whistling noise while on moderate to high boost. I had a look this weekend at both sides of the intercooler and both seem to be clamped down pretty well.

Only thing I have recently changed is installed a new 2XS BPV. I changed the spring on that from blue to yellow and this had no obvious effect. I did notice inside one of the rubber rings was not properly seated and fixed that up.
    I also got some extra tubing to connect the T piece to the boost sensor part (no idea of proper name for this) on the BPV because I was worried I wasn't clamping on properly.

To describe the noise its a high pitch noise which at first sounded a bit like a superchargers whine. Got more high pitch as boost increased.

Anyone had any experience of this or suggest places I should look? Only places I can think are that the O ring on the bottom of the BPV isn't seated correctly (was a hard bastard to get into place, had to use a bit of water to get it to stay put and even then lost it for about 10minutes at one point) or that my car is sucking in through the Meth/H20 system, which I believe shouldnt happen and hasn't up until now.

Sound like the tea kettle noise that Sam (SarcasticOne) was having. Can't remember if that was BOV related though and can't find the thread

Sent from my iPhone using soon to be uninstalled POS Tapatalk App (fix the damn app you mofos!!!)
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 29-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Had the same noise. the two pipes i clamped further were the turbo to TMIC and the TMIC to the intake - well actually I replaced the clamps with the T-clamps i picked up from total tools for $8 a peice. I also check the clamps that connect to the BOV.

Cheers guys, will give it a good tightening tomorrow see if that improves the situation.

5. Default

Turbo whistle anyone?

It should do that. Once I had the TMIC fitted she sounded like a kettle on the boil. Thats the turbo spinning away. Or at least it was on mine, and man it sounded cool.

By any chance did you re-set the ECU when you changed over the BPV?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    Turbo whistle anyone?

It should do that. Once I had the TMIC fitted she sounded like a kettle on the boil. Thats the turbo spinning away. Or at least it was on mine, and man it sounded cool.

By any chance did you re-set the ECU when you changed over the BPV?
    Mine does the same thing
    Lets me know I'm driving it properly
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I've re-tightened everything, might make a video/audio recording, I don't remember hearing this happening before. While I took the entire intake and cooler system out I also cleaned out my meth system and the whistle starts at the same time that kicks in. I heard somewhere a high pitch whistle can be exhaust side leak which is worrying, although I do have a new exhaust manifold that does need install... I might get that installed soon and ask them to have a quick look over to see if they can find any obvious leaks.

I reset the ECU (well I pulled the battery out completely) when I fixed up the meth kit.