User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive overhaul

Default Massive overhaul

Hi Guys,

Just 6 weeks after my car came off novated lease, I find out I have to do a major overhaul of the vehicle. These are the problems:

1. Normal 120,000km service - expected that.

2. Front rotors are down to 23mm, pads are near the warning signal.

3. Transfer case is leaking

4. Turbo is leaking.

5. Clutch is 90% worn.

Since to do the transfer case, I need to drop the entire engine anyway, I'm going to do the clutch and the turbo at the same time. I've tentatively decided to go:

2. DBA 4000 series full faced rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads

4. Get someone to highflow and rebuild the turbo (Any recommendations?)

5. Exedy Sports Tuff single plate conversion kit.

Anyone have any comments on these parts before I go on an expensive shopping trip? And secondly, while I've got it all in pieces, anyone got any other cheap mods I should do? Vaguely thinking about a catted down pipe, but I've heard plenty of people still get the Engine Light on, even with two sensors and a cat.

I'm not after racing power, but if there's some cheap mods that I can do while it's all out, I'll probably do them.

Hi flow turbo, look up bnr in the states, you'll be looking at around 1500 all up inc shipping... It keeps the low down response, whilst giving you a decent top end

Can't see what car you have (on crapatalk), but 2xs makes a cel free dp for gen 1 3's, and is working on one for a 6mps
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 27-05-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

from what i've read its not worth rebuilding the stock turbo as they tend to fail again soon after. I would suggest getting a BNR turbo but thats just my opinion.

I went with DBA 4000 series slotted and Remsa pads. Very happy with the results

Last time i looked on the exedy website they didn't offer an upgraded clutch for the 6MPS and only had a standard replacement. but possibly i wasn't looking hard enough

Thanks. I do have a 2006 MPS6.

People have told me even after rebuilds, the turbo can leak quickly. But I was thinking if this lasted 100,000km, a rebuild would probably last that long as well? If I was to get another turbo, I'd want it to be straight bolt on. Wow, their stage 1 kit is $950USD, May have to check out shipping. That's less than what I was quoted for a straight rebuild.

I think Exedy only had 1 kit for the MPS6, but I thought it was a Sports Tuff (their lowest non-OEM spec range). I could have been wrong though.

Shot a PM off to MPS2NV about the clutch.

He replaced his with a stronger clutch and flywheel for around the $1300 mark I think, from some mob up in QLD.

He was chuffed with the ease of use and strength of the kit.

That's not too bad a price. Though being in Sydney, shipping would hurt, and if anything was wrong with the kit... At least if I got the Exedy one and had it fitted by an Exedy dealer, it's one person to be responsible...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunder View Post
    That's not too bad a price. Though being in Sydney, shipping would hurt, and if anything was wrong with the kit... At least if I got the Exedy one and had it fitted by an Exedy dealer, it's one person to be responsible...
    Its all warrantied mate, and MPS2NV has an mps 6 as well, and also lives in sydney, so it definitely fits.

Think that price was shipped.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Never thought I would see the words "warrantied" and "MPS2NV" mentioned within the same post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Never thought I would see the words "warrantied" and "MPS2NV" mentioned within the same post.
    youre bad
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

I tried ebc greens in my 6mps and they were not up to the task. Using hawk hps now and they are fine.

I recently had a BNR stage 1 fitted. Pretty standard install- a bit of ginning around with the water pipe, but otherwise a straight bolt on. Fitting set me back about $600.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I tried ebc greens in my 6mps and they were not up to the task. Using hawk hps now and they are fine.
    What was wrong with the EBC greens? The Hawks were the other ones I looked at, actually.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    I recently had a BNR stage 1 fitted. Pretty standard install- a bit of ginning around with the water pipe, but otherwise a straight bolt on. Fitting set me back about $600.
    I'm going to ask if they can do one with an "after the fact" core exchange with a deposit. I kind of need it in and out in 3 days, which isn't going to happen with a core exchange.

What was wrong with the EBC greens? The Hawks were the other ones I looked at, actually.[COLOR="Silver"]
    I believe ebc green is a pad material designed for low mass vehicles. If I’m not mistaken they even say that somewhere in their documentation. Which raises the obvious question: why do they make a green pad for higher mass vehicles like the 6MPS? I don’t know why, but I found the greens to be good at low temps, inconsistent at moderate temps and very poor at high temps. The inconsistent part was unnerving because I never knew if they would be there when I needed them. Sometimes they were, sometimes they weren’t. And they were worse than the OEM pads for dusting the wheels. I was glad to get them off the car.

The hawks don’t have quite as good low temp bite, but they respond very rapidly to an increase in temp, so much so that I worry about people running into the back of my car during a heavy stop because the increase in the rate of deceleration with increasing temp is quite astonishing. The hawks are comparatively good in terms of dust.

Gone to Volvo

Damn. Going to have to do a rethink. Although I don't race anymore, I still go down places like Galston Gorge quite often. That's 20 minutes of riding the brake most the way down. (Unless I'm going by myself, in which case, they're a bit more on and off...)

Might have to research yellows or go Hawks.

Damn. Going to have to do a rethink. Although I don't race anymore, I still go down places like Galston Gorge quite often. That's 20 minutes of riding the brake most the way down. (Unless I'm going by myself, in which case, they're a bit more on and off...)

Might have to research yellows or go Hawks.
    mmm, love the gorge
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I have a stage 2 BNR on the way from the states. They dont offer an 'after the fact' core exchange unfortunately.

And make sure the turbo you send him is the same as your current car.

I have a 3MPS and sent a CX-7 turbo (K0422-582) instead of a K0422-881. Both K04 mazda turbos, but not completely identical.

As a result he couldn't use all the parts from the CX-7 turbo. Given I was trying to save time by sending a separate turbo in advance, he sold me a core for a nicely discounted rate and I let him have the turbo - didnt really have a choice though.

Bryan was great to deal with, i'll post more info once its installed in about 6 weeks. I'm waiting on a few other parts to install at the same time.

and FYI - I have been quoted $800 for the install (there is some minor modification to install the stage 2).

For rotors/brake pads, I would recommend one of our site sponsors GSL Rallysport. Very helpful, they answered numerous questions in great detail before a sale was even made.

I would also recommend GSL Rallysport. Thats where i got my Remsa pads.

Ended up ordering DBA 4000 Series full faced rotors and Hawk HPS pads

Will let you guys know how I go.

I also changed my spark plugs into Denso Iridiums, 1 step colder over the weekend. I wouldn't usually expect such a subtle change to affect the "butt dyno" (since you generally need about a 5% improvement in power to make it noticable without measuring equipment.) but it does actually feel more responsive. I don't know if it's just me or not though, but it seems to idle... Louder. Not rougher, in fact, it seems more even, and it doesn't dip any more. (It never hunted, but occasionally, the idle dipped a 100rpm or so) Doesn't make sense, but that's just my perception.

Just a thought, did you disconnect the battery when changing the plugs? Could explain the change if you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast