User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forged internals

Default Forged internals

As many of you know the bottem end of the mzr motor is questionable on how much it can be pushed, modifications on these engines which would seem very minor on many jap engines in the past have shown the weakness of what seems to be a very capable power house.

My question is what has lead you down the path of upgrading your internals and what combinations and problems have you found along the way?

Have you only upgraded the weak parts or have you modified the engine in a way that it is no longer the weakest link in your mps?

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

usefull info on camshafts

Indeed... my old MX-6 had forged internals as standard, and it only runs 8 PSI of boost and low compression... boggles the mind that Mazda would have gone back to plasticine internals on an engine making much more power with double the boost... kinda sad really...

Chris.

The MZR motor has "powder" forged internals.
    The older style turbo motors built by most companies had cheaper forged internals, not what most call "forged"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrillo.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	8652 Carrillo straight 'H' beam vs stock connecting rod.

Doesn't give much faith in the stock internals, nice post Troy

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Rod Tech

Choosing a rod to replace your factory cheese isn't hard, make sure you choose a rod that will support what your after out of your engine and understand the different profiles available.
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 26-05-2011 at 10:42 PM.

A set of custom forged pistons will include many options that you may not have even known about! Compression ratios, bore size are the minor details of the piston design. If your buying a rod and piston combo take the time before to research whats available and how the options will effect your engine package.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JE piston.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	8654  
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 26-05-2011 at 11:20 PM.

first thread in our new section
    Whoever created this sub forum must be a pretty nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    first thread in our new section
    Whoever created this sub forum must be a pretty nice guy
    I recon you are the man.. i would like to shake the hand of the guy who thought of this
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    I recon you are the man.. i would like to shake the hand of the guy who thought of this
    I'm pretty sure you shake something of his daily
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Always use two hands. Lol

great thread about time we started looking inside the box that makes our cars zoom zoom....

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Always use two hands. Lol
    beginners use 2 hands

13. Default

Something I've always thought about, is when you are doing your forged bottom end, do you need to re-bore the the cylinder, but also machine the top of the block so your gasket sits flush?

Once the new pistons are in, what about the head? Are we talking replacing valves, cams, timing chain as well at the same time?

Reading the post from other forums, most only tend to do the forged bottom, leaving the head untouched, but is this wise and safe?

There is lots of ways to go when performance building motors mate.

Not really one surefire way to do it.

All comes down to what you want it to do, how reliable you want it to be, and how much power you are hunting for.

I suppose another key factor should be the wallet size too.

the MZR can make power with ease with a standard rebuild wth forged internals 250-300kw with after market turbo, couple of simple bolt ons and tune. I would say yes to oversized pistons to make sure clearances are in check esp with forged pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    Something I've always thought about, is when you are doing your forged bottom end, do you need to re-bore the the cylinder, but also machine the top of the block so your gasket sits flush?

Once the new pistons are in, what about the head? Are we talking replacing valves, cams, timing chain as well at the same time?

Reading the post from other forums, most only tend to do the forged bottom, leaving the head untouched, but is this wise and safe?
    Your head gasket will support a .0020 thou os piston, unlike older engines the mzr is built in a manner that decking the block and head is very limited as it will effect the timing cover alignment if machining is exceeded. Extensive engine work will usually include service of the cylinder head, not servicing the head would be a poor decision how ever it isn't vital that your cylinder head be worked to an inch of its life just because your bottom end is built with strong internals. Most cases we all just get carried away

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Most cases the cylder would be bored unless the machinist is happy with the bore measurements and a hone is sufficiant to use a standard size piston.

17. Default

The one thing this post proves is that Mazda should have done the job right in the first place by building the engine with a proper forged bottom end, with thicker rods.

For a $60+k car that the MPS6 was, I would have expected a bit more effort in the engine and turbo dept.

18. Default

I was "forced" to upgrade to forged internals... The engine can't cope with 50psi..... Whoops.
    Banana rods are the result....

Mazda knew this would make us upgrade our cars.. So now mazda sedans and hatchs are out teh with Big turbos showing up supercars... ZOOM ZOOM

$60000 + 10000k upgrades = supercar killers

Why would Mazda make a deliberately weak car and "make" us upgrade when they make very little from the upgrading of an engine?
    How many OEM parts have been put in lukes engine in the effort of strengthening?

Fact is, manufacturers very rarely (if ever) build a car for people to modify. They are built as strong as it needs to be, no stronger.

The rods don't bend because they are weak, they are bending because there is either a fault or you are asking them to cope with forces they were not intended for.
    Is rods in unmodified cars are bending, it HAS to be some other fault otherwise all stock engines would be blowing, not just a very small percentage.
    Forged rods will just hide whatever this fault is.

I think its really unfair to blame Mazda until the cause of zoom zoom boom is confirmed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast