User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen1 MPS3s with BC BR Coilovers

Default Gen1 MPS3s with BC BR Coilovers

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd start a thread to get opinions and comments from people who have these coilovers in their gen1 MPS3s, mainly wanting to hear about issues some may have had, warranty fixes or anything along those lines...

I'm currently looking at getting a full set my self with extenders for the rear so I can adjust the rear shocks without taking out the trims every single time I want to adjust, my main goal is to keep the car as a daily driver but also do the occasional track day, sprint or hill climb, hence why I'd like to have greater adjust ability than just a simple spring and shock arrangement.

I have also looked into the DGRs that Troy sell but with the BCs I can get local support from a local (to me anyways) authorized dealer, so if anything was to go wrong or a replacement was needed I know I can just make a 20min drive and have things sorted.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    but with the BCs I can get local support from a local (to me anyways) authorized dealer, so if anything was to go wrong or a replacement was needed I know I can just make a 20min drive and have things sorted.
    Sounds like you already have it sorted.

I have been running BC coilovers for 15-16 months now on another car. No manufacturing issues to complain about. Out of warrenty period now, but at least you can just get replacement damper for $90. Read number on side of damper, make a phone call, problem fixed.

I have D2s before this set. Any leaks meant that the required a full rebuild as D2 don't supply replacement parts. Only found 2 places in Australia that would deal with them. Most went, "D2s huh? Don't wanna touch them." And the 2 places that did touch them, wanted $200 per corner to rebuild. So needed to do all 4 after 3.5 years. So was better to buy new BCs for $1000 (cancelled order = I saved money) than to rebuild the D2s costing $800.

Before that I run a JDM brand coilovers called JIC-Magic, great shock. (Well before the days of readily available coilovers flooding the market). They were great also. More places would rebuild them, but the costs were still high.

I hear good reports about HSD coilovers also. Never really delved into them much, but the word on the street is they are good quality. Price is resonable also considering the product you recieve. Otomoto in Sydney deal with them.

Hey thanks for the info!

That's why I have focused on BC racing because they offer replacements off the shelf which can be ordered through a dealer. I have also looked into other brands but they do not offer base adjust ability for height which puts me off because they may not keep the springs captive (pre loaded) if running too low, specially at the front end of the vehicle.

I have also looked into the HSD coils but they do not have a listing here in Aus for the Mazda3 yet let a lone the MPS3, the only minor difference which would be spring rates as one is a little bit lighter than the other...

anyone else out there who may wanna share???

I have read that the BC coil-overs are very rough for a daily driver, if you require quick adjustment without removing the trim you could look into the Tien super streets, I had also read that someone had made an extension cable of sorts that allowed easy adjustment of the DGR ones 2XS is selling.

I have the H&R coil-overs in mine which use the Bilstein gas monotube shock, pretty good ride and a great improvement in handling, while not as aggressive as the BCs would be, still comfortable for the daily to and fro work stuff.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I have read that the BC coil-overs are very rough for a daily driver, if you require quick adjustment without removing the trim you could look into the Tien super streets, I had also read that someone had made an extension cable of sorts that allowed easy adjustment of the DGR ones 2XS is selling.

I have the H&R coil-overs in mine which use the Bilstein gas monotube shock, pretty good ride and a great improvement in handling, while not as aggressive as the BCs would be, still comfortable for the daily to and fro work stuff.
    You make some good points Matt

Yes the extenders I will be getting if I go with the BCs are as you mentioned extension cables, they attach to the top of the shock and can be made to protrude through the rear trim as they have a little knob that you can turn to make the adjustment.

with regards to daily driving, I use the car to drive to work and on occasions to see a client or two which is once every two months or so, I mainly drive on the freeway so the car doesn't see much rough roads unless I drive to the city once in a blue moon on a weekend or around my area. As you can see I'm not too worried about harshness, I have owned vehicles in the past that have had real aggressive setups (hardened joints, coilovers or stiff springs, stitch welded chassis, race bucket seats), I'm generally after bang for buck with broad range of adjustments and reliability.

I had thought about just keeping the RM springs I currently have and just replace the shocks but for the price I may as well go coilovers....

Ps: I wouldn't mind looking up the H&Rs, got more info???
    Last edited by Malicioso; 24-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Could you tell me via PM who made the extenders? lol i'm very key for them haha
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

The H&Rs are a progressive spring (unsure of rate) with inverted Bilstein shocks, Im sure there is a good reason for inverting them, I just dont know what it is, maybe has something to with them having their own internal bump stops.
    They have the usual threaded strut on the fronts for height adjustment, and the rears have machined threaded spacers of sorts the sit between the spring and lower arm. I will try and find or grab some pics of them, as far as ride goes, I find them generally more comfortable than I had with Eibach spring on the stock shocks (less crash on harsh bumps, more progressive rebound etc), however as with any setup like this if you find a bad bit of road you will know about it.
    Handling has improved considerably, Nice sharp turn in, and I can feel the back end working now and helping me around the corner, rather than the feeling that it is dragging its arse along (I also have a set of Cobb sways), I cant really comment on any other coil overs as I have only experienced these in the MPS.

Here is a post from MSF with plenty of pics, I believe these were a set for the normal 3 hence some of the fitting issues, as the report from the shop who fitted mine said how easy they were to fit.

H&R Coilover Pictures. - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

+1 to know where I could source some extenders for the DGRs

The H&Rs are a progressive spring (unsure of rate) with inverted Bilstein shocks, Im sure there is a good reason for inverting them, I just dont know what it is, maybe has something to with them having their own internal bump stops.
    The primary reason for running inverted shocks is to reduce unsprung weight (by connecting the heavier part if the shock to the body and not the 'sprung' suspension)

Reducing unsprung weight aids handling. Subaru have been using this style for a number of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Dan, Knew there had to be a sensible explanation for this.

Thanks Dan, Knew there had to be a sensible explanation for this.

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend64 View Post
    +1 to know where I could source some extenders for the DGRs
    I'll try to get in contact with the member who has the extenders fitted.

Hey Alex.

I've been running BC BR's on my Gen 1 for about 8 months now. I'm very happy with them.

My car is daily driven. I have the front and rears set about mid way on the firmness settings and this is firmish, but can be dialled down to quite smooth if I wanted.

As for rear access for adjustability: how long are you arms? I can reach through the trim holes (left side Jack storage and right side smaller trim hole) without removing the trim and adjust with a little bit of fiddling. But 30 seconds either side and I'm done: no trim removal needed.

The only caution I've mentioned on other threads is that the shock barrels are broader than some other coilovers. This makes high offset rims such as RX8 rims (18x8 50 offset reducing inner clearance by 11mm) run really close to the shock body.

Other than that my Gen 1's handling is in another league over std setup.
    Last edited by 03blk; 24-05-2011 at 10:31 PM.

I've heard from workmates that the BC's are a rough ride too.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

IF the BCs are harder than the H&R's i have OMG..! i have changed the rear spring rate of mine to finish at 4kgs ( may change to 5 kg if to soft) not 7 kgs. H&R fronts feel good ( more than good/great) I found the back harder than my nipples putting them ice water and than bitten by a red back spider! everyone hates my cars rear ride! maybe they ****ed up on my rear springs

70% suppliers will give you a choice of spring rates, if its daily driven and on rough roads

For the MPS 3 ( i recomend)

comfort/softer

Fronts-5/6kg
    Rears- 4/5kg

Track-

Front- 6/7kg
    Rear- 6/8 kg

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    Hey Alex.
    The only caution I've mentioned on other threads is that the shock barrels are broader than some other coilovers. This makes high offset rims such as RX8 rims (18x8 50 offset reducing inner clearance by 11mm) run really close to the shock body.
    DGR's + RX8 rims have what sounds like a similar clearance. I did the pencil test and they just pass...just...

Good tip on reaching the adjusters too, might check that out over the weekend.

---------

Forgot to add, I'm trying to track down remote adjusters for the rear too, looks like a few manufacturers offer them as an option. Will put the info in the appropriate place when I get the details.
    Last edited by TD; 25-05-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    I've heard from workmates that the BC's are a rough ride too.
    When I was looking at getting mine the guy I spoke to at Just Jap mentioned that some people have got the BC 'V1' Coilovers instead of the BC BR's which ride a lot firmer and are not suitable for street use.

The Justjap website doesn't show the BR's as avail for the Gen 1 but they are and are the choice for street use.

Jeff from advance speed has also posted some pricing on his coil-overs, fwiw I have heard great things about KW's.
    If the customs declaration is also "accidentally" marked at under $1000 you will avoid paying duty.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/advan...tml#post172247

i went from king springs to peddeders Xa extreme coilovers with the chamber adjustment and the ride is alot better and not as hard. i have the setting on 8 all round its rather smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    The primary reason for running inverted shocks is to reduce unsprung weight (by connecting the heavier part if the shock to the body and not the 'sprung' suspension)

Reducing unsprung weight aids handling. Subaru have been using this style for a number of years

oh i thought it was to move the damper away from the exturnal heat source ie hot rotors + uprights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast