User Tag List

Thread: Paint Protection... Is it worth it?

Default Paint Protection... Is it worth it?

Hey Guys...

So i'm getting the new MPS - in black.

I've had paint protection on the last car... is it actually worth getting it again?

What protection (if any) does it give? Is it nothing but a gimmick?

The car would spend 1 day a week in full sun (Satdy when i'm at work from 1pm-9pm)... other than that its in the garage.

Concerns - bird crap.. summer sun.. any other creature eg.. those that will walk on the ceiling of your garage and have a tendancy to crap on anything below....
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

I have never been a big fan of this over the years but they tell me it's got better??????????? I just looked after my car myself but lately I'm getting slackolder ( Aches & Pains ) that's why I have Nasa coming to give me the car the full polish. If you ask me that's a fat NO from me.....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 10-08-2009 at 02:32 PM.

I think its a waste of time...mind you i have it on mine....u just need an awesome wax from f1 or zas that'll do the trick....just ask them what they reccommend i have a few products in mind but i'll leave it up to the pros to tell

Nonononononononononono....it's the biggest rip off perpetrated by car dealers!!! If I stop one person from buying this crap I'll be very happy

If you are keen on looking after your new car, save the money and get a professional paint correction and paint sealer applied soon after you get the car.

Here's a sample of some posts from another place I hang out when the subject was raised...they pretty well sum it up.

"I detailed & then sold cars new for years... complete w4nk. Stay away."

"$1500 for any protection product is blatant theft.
    I use this on all of my own cars:
    Toughseal Australia | 0ffers the finest paint protection for vehicle painted surfaces Paint Protection. The Future of Paint Protection Revolutionary.
    It is a 2 pac application [by hand]
    Can be done yourself."

"Worked in a detail shop who did it all for Honda and Nissan, ext detail pack = they polish and wax your car, interior = they scotchbrite your cloth.
    Also one pack (which you pay hundreds for) can do 5-6 cars."

"i was having a chat with the local tinter here as well and he was saying they've been to lunches with the car yards where they joke about and discuss the most they've been able to get someone to pay for the protection packs... one had got $5k on a few occasions."

"rip off.
    I know the car detail workshop that does this protection crap for Solitaire Automotive (Audi, BMW, Aston Martin etc dealer)
    They charge me $210.
    They charge Solitaire even less. God knows what the stealer charges the mug that buys it via their dealership."

"Oh and by the way car yard will purchase the paint protection for around $50 dollars and the warranty costs them about $80 dollars
    and then they charge you $1500"

"Having worked for dealers, and actually had the paint protection on a new car, you'd be better spending the money it would cost at waxit.com
    I had polished my Mazda with Autoglym Super Resin and the paint protection guy admitted it was harder then the protection stuff he applied."

It's just a sealant and still requires the same maintenance as a do-it-yourself paint protection system in order to keep your warrantee. The only difference is your pay them a lot of money to apply it for you.

We design this Paint Protection Kit for this application. There are plenty of other options from ZAS or from other suppliers. All are much better than what the dealership can offer.

EDIT: We just put that kit out of stock due to the microfibre not being available until the new shipment arrives in a few weeks. The important info though is:

1. Clean the paint thoroughly
    2. Apply your liquid sealant
    3. Maintain the protection periodically with a spray sealant.

The reason for the spray sealant is to reduce the effort required in maintaining the finish. Applying a liquid sealant takes 10-15 mins to apply, 30-40 mins to dry, and another 10-15 mins to remove. A spray sealant is just an extension of washing and drying your car and takes an extra 5-10 mins once a month.

Do this religiously and you'll have paint that never stops beading water and is always well protected and looks awesome.
    Last edited by ZAS; 10-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks for the info guys.

Joel, i'll be speaking with you soon!

No worries. I see a few of the new MPS' are popping up here and there. My old girl is almost due for the 50k service. Think I might have to sit in one and see what it's like. I wonder if they will give me one as a courtesy car for the day

I didnt get mine done at the dealership fcuk that...im blonde but not an absolute gullable twat..they are friends and still i wouldnt go through them....i went to a tintmart and got a package (tint fabric and paint)that cost 600 due to a little haggling
    Last edited by MISSMPS; 11-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.

If anyone in Sydney is contemplating getting this done give me a call. It usually works out to be less than $300 including all the maintenance products.

Shame either Joel or Dan arn't in Brisy.

Had a chat to some local detailers.... apparently best not to let the dealers even wash it

yep you should ask then not to touch it .....

i wish i knew that when i got mine

Quote Originally Posted by DanSP23Bris View Post
    Shame either Joel or Dan arn't in Brisy.

Had a chat to some local detailers.... apparently best not to let the dealers even wash it
    Before you pick it up???

It generally isnt done by a pimple faced teen....the pre delivery wash is done by a detailer...well thats the case where i go.....never ever let them do a after service wash though

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Nonononononononononono....it's the biggest rip off perpetrated by car dealers!!! If I stop one person from buying this crap I'll be very happy

If you are keen on looking after your new car, save the money and get a professional paint correction and paint sealer applied soon after you get the car.

I agree NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! waste of money!
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Thanks for the info guys... deffo no to that

Dead link mate

Saving some pennies & buying some prima stuff soon

Nah need to log in ...anywho it says no to paint protection

Prima is good

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    I didnt get mine done at the dealership fcuk that...im blonde but not an absolute gullable twat..they are friends and still i wouldnt go through them....i went to a tintmart and got a package (tint fabric and paint)that cost 600 due to a little haggling
    i ended up paying bout the same but i got quotes from 3 places and then played them all against each other and then bargained them down. originally they were trying to do it for 900. but yeah they folded when i said i had gone here and there and they had quoted me this much and that much.
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!