User Tag List

Thread: Potential MPS Owner

Default Potential MPS Owner

Hey everyone!
    Hows it going? How much boost are we all hitting today? haha..oh wait im not hitting any boost because I dont have a turbocharged car...yet.

Im looking at upgrading my car in the next 2-3 months. Ive been reading this forum for about 6 months now. Im really keen on an MPS 6 as I dont like hatches and I dont an AWD. I test drove an MPS 6 a month ago and it was awesome! The other cars ive been considering are Evo 7/8, Subaru WRX and earlier models STi. But I think the MPS has similar power and is alot newer and doesnt attract negative attention.

However, ive noticed alot of members here have had issues with turbos, smoke, engine mounts, clutches, clunks here n there, strange noises everywhere lol. Which makes me wonder, how reliable are the MPS's? And how common are these problems? I understand that people on the forums tend to post their problems and no one would come here and say "Yep my car has been running fine". But as a potential MPS owner, i think its fair to ask that.

Btw how common or uncommon are white MPS6? Theres rarely any of them for sale! Am i gonna have a hard time trying to find a white one?

*EDIT*: I just realised that i actually joined here back in October 2010

Most MPS 6 owners will attest to their quality and reliably. Issues that come up sound to be age related, wear and tear etc.

It's a fabulous car, treat it like BMW and not an S15 Nissan thing and you'll have years of trouble free own ship.

White 6? Do it.

The 6 does have it's issues, and these do need to be sorted before you give it really hard driving. Mainly this is limited to engine mounts and diff mounts being replaced as they are a pretty flimsy item from factory. If you go look at my build thread (http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...and-barge.html) I've made some comments on changing a few pieces that seem to be standard items to replace.
    I've also noticed that you need to pay good attention to the oils you use. There is a huge selection of parts for these cars though, so I don't think you'll have too many worries.

Though even with it's bumps, squeaks and knocks, I love mine. It's got nearly 160,000kms on it though, so really any car this age will need those sorts of things looked at. Find a tidy example with lower k's and you'll be laughing.

You have to remember that a WRX with those sorts of kilometers will be also spitting stock turbos, head gaskets, and also smashing gearboxes. And a turbo car will cost you lots more in servicing (more regular fluid changes etc), and running costs, so you have to factor in this too.

Honestly, I love my 6 to bits, it makes me laugh every day that I get in it, and the sleeper element to it along with the performance it delivers makes it the perfect street package. No fanboy lancer drivers trying to race you at the lights, no police staring at you as you roll past, and when you do line up next to a v8, you'll scare the shit out of him with your angry white mazda sitting right up his arse all the way to a speeding fine. I highly reccomend you go take one for a drive. But do take note of the kilometers, whats been replaced and what hasn't, and how its been treated. Because like any performance car, they can have dramas.
    MPS6

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah I do understand the issues that may arise due to age, how its treated etc. But as you know, some cars are just lemons the way they come out of the factory but after reading so much here. It seems like this is not the case with the MPS. I took one for a drive and i loved it. Although I didnt give it a good hit but it was very comparable to some STi's, Silvias and Evos ive driven.

MadAussie, I was actually reading your build earlier today. Amazing work!

I cant wait until I own one of these beasts!

Don't be discouraged every car has its problems.. Subarus are ring lands amongst other things.

Forums are a funny beast. People usually come here to either socialize or complain about things that are broken lol so it's natural to see so many issues.. Like only seeing sick people at the doctors haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Don't be discouraged every car has its problems.. Subarus are ring lands amongst other things.

Forums are a funny beast. People usually come here to either socialize or complain about things that are broken lol so it's natural to see so many issues.. Like only seeing sick people at the doctors haha
    this ^
    mine's (gen 1 3MPS) been (effectively) faultless for the 2 years ive owned mine... and im one of the most mechanically inept people on the forums...
    as long as you dont do anything silly, they're pretty bullet proof...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Welcome to Ozmps.. we are great people who will have you modding in no time. As said before all cars have little issue and most times its when you are modding. Standard the MPS is sound, best advice drive all models sign up at all forums and read.

Enjoy deciding what to buy, i spent hrs/days/weeks looking at what to buy after owning a gen1 mps. I now have a Gen2 mps.. WHY did i!! cuz i know the car and know about the base product

Haha yeah I guess thats true, everyone comes here to complain only..

Ive been reading alot over the past few months on Rexnet and EvolutionOz...but it seems like ill go down the MPS path as it is a quick car, looks good, newer, luxurious, and also cheaper on insurance from my understanding.

Have had my eye on this for a while

2006 MAZDA 6 MPS GG Series 2 Sedan Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au

Pearl white is a nice colour

Hi and Welcome

10. Default

Hi guys, not trying to hijack Musty's thread but I am in the exact situation as Musty, been looking to buy a car either the 09 wrx, maybe evo but then stumbled accross the Mazdas. I test drove a couple of 3MPS and they are monsters but it just seems like alot of money to pay for a mazda 3...thats what it is in the end.. So I decided to look at a 6MPS as it is more of a car than a 3MPS but then saw all the problems the members on this forum have been having and it kinda freaked me out with all the clutch issues, diffs, turbos. Coming from a R33 skyline with 240rwkw ive had no issues whatsover with it and it now it has me second guessing whether I should go down this road??

I'd love for you guys to convince me otherwise

I did my research, including ear bashing the service manager at Mazda for an hour - and the reliability is not a concern , and anything that does break is relatively cheap to fix - even at stealership prices.

And to your point, yes it's a Mazda 3 underneath, just as a wrx is an impreza and a Evo is a lancer.....but IMO the interior layout and materials are of a much higher quality.

Besides, I think the strongest suit of the MPS is that people DO thinks it's just an MPS. The first time you blast away from a SS commodore from 60-100 will teach them otherwise!!!

I'm not going to rewrite the same thing again, these are great cars, that's that. And lol at thinking a wrx will be more reliable than an MPS.

I think we've asked enough now haha. While these guys own MPS's, theyre not psychics and wont be able to tell us what will/will not go wrong in our future MPS. Im personally set on buying one.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The MPS in stock form is sound! We are a bunch of modders here so we tend to push the bounderys a bit, if you look 95% of the time its when we are pushing 200+kwatw... But if you look at other platforms they have issues as well, u need to weigh up what UUUU like/want

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    The MPS in stock form is sound! We are a bunch of modders here so we tend to push the bounderys a bit, if you look 95% of the time its when we are pushing 200+kwatw... But if you look at other platforms they have issues as well, u need to weigh up what UUUU like/want
    Quote of the day from Luke "push the boundaries...a bit" hehe
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by mattyyyy View Post
    Hi guys, not trying to hijack Musty's thread but I am in the exact situation as Musty, been looking to buy a car either the 09 wrx, maybe evo but then stumbled accross the Mazdas. I test drove a couple of 3MPS and they are monsters but it just seems like alot of money to pay for a mazda 3...thats what it is in the end.. So I decided to look at a 6MPS as it is more of a car than a 3MPS but then saw all the problems the members on this forum have been having and it kinda freaked me out with all the clutch issues, diffs, turbos. Coming from a R33 skyline with 240rwkw ive had no issues whatsover with it and it now it has me second guessing whether I should go down this road??

I'd love for you guys to convince me otherwise
    seems like you need to convince yourself. there arent THAT many threads. Look on other forums for issues, and you are going to find them.

If you are comparing a 3MPS to an EVO or STi it is not a fair comparison. They are in different classes.
    What exactly are you looking for?

Track monster, EVO or STi.
    Loud, boy racer, full out modding, EVO or STi

If you are looking for a good all round package that is comfortable to drive to work, does not draw the attention of every cop you drive past, can drive to the track in, race around all day and still look forward to the drive home on shitty roads with your kidneys still intact and then take your grandma shopping the next day then the MPS is for you. It punches above its weight and can compete with the other two but just remember, they were another 30K on top brand spankers.
    After 4 years in mine I still enjoy giving it a flogging.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    I did my research, including ear bashing the service manager at Mazda for an hour - and the reliability is not a concern , and anything that does break is relatively cheap to fix - even at stealership prices.

And to your point, yes it's a Mazda 3 underneath, just as a wrx is an impreza and a Evo is a lancer.....but IMO the interior layout and materials are of a much higher quality.

Besides, I think the strongest suit of the MPS is that people DO thinks it's just an MPS. The first time you blast away from a SS commodore from 60-100 will teach them otherwise!!!
    The new EVO interior is horrid... I get that its the same as the std lancer underneath... though... its cheap as shit.
    The recaros make it bareable

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-