User Tag List

Thread: New to this site, possible future 3 MPS owner?

1. Default New to this site, possible future 3 MPS owner?

Hi all,

New member on these forums, have been reading random threads everywhere I'm considering buying a Mazda 3 MPS, hence joining these forums

About me:
    Grew up in Malaysia, so around Lancers (Protons) and Evo-wannabe's. Have always wanted an Evo. Had a Lancer CB GSR about 10 years ago, rolled it at Queensland Raceway, and have since been club racing a 1975 Toyota Corolla. I drive a very practical and sensible Nissan XTrail as a daily driver, and I'm very much getting the itch to have a "fun" car to drive around on a daily. Have been primarily looking at 2nd hand Ralliart Lancers and older Evo's (Evo 6), although I think the Evo would be a little too impractical, not being able to fold the rear seats etc. Also, no cruise control is a bit of a bummer as I do many highway k's. Budget is about $20-25K.

Anyway, where does the Mazda 3 MPS fit into this then? Well, finally went to the local Mitsubishi dealership last weekend to see if I could test drive a Ralliart Lancer, and they didn't have any. Had a bit of spare time, so thought I'd drop into the Mazda dealership as I'd heard good things about the MPS. Was pleasantly surprised that the MPS was cheaper than the Ralliart, and better spec'ed. Took it for a test drive, and was B-L-O-W-N A-W-A-Y! WOW.

Later went to another Mitsubishi dealership and drove the Ralliart, and while it was good (and probably more suited as a daily driver with a more plush ride, SST gearbox), it didn't have the same fun factor as the MPS.

So yes, MPS becomes possible candidate.

Currently thinking of a BK 3 MPS as I prefer the shape, and it fits better within my budget, however have noticed the occasional BL 3 MPS coming into that price range, and from what I've read, the BL is a significantly better car than the BK was, so that's something for me to consider too...

Anyway, I talk too much. "Hi", and if I do end up with an MPS, I guess you'll be seeing a bit more of me

G'day mate and welcome to ozmps.
    I'm a newbie myself also looking for an mps. I went to my local Mazda dealer on the weekend to look at a new one and they didn't have any. I have alo decided to go for a bk series 2 , probly 08 model.
    Good hunting and enjoy.

BK series are a bit more "feral" (shorter gearing/harsher suspension)
    the BL is probably easier to live with on a day-to-day basis tho

enjoy the forums, and feel free to browse the forums

4. Default

What is the difference between the series 1 and 2 BK? Looking on carsales, it seems there are year isn't a good indication as to whether it is a series 1 or 2?

Fook.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    BK series are a bit more "feral" (shorter gearing/harsher suspension)
    the BL is probably easier to live with on a day-to-day basis tho

enjoy the forums, and feel free to browse the forums
    Harsher suspension than the BL? Geez, it must be really harsh then! The BL I drove was pretty harsh, much harsher than the Ralliart was, which was really very comfortable, even though it was hardly a barge at all, very composed through the corners even with the tyres squeeling . but yes, comfortable, but a tad boring, not like the adrenalin pumping MPS!

Fook.

Quote Originally Posted by Demuire View Post
    What is the difference between the series 1 and 2 BK? Looking on carsales, it seems there are year isn't a good indication as to whether it is a series 1 or 2?

Fook.
    easiest way to tell there is a black strip above glove box with MPS logo, rather than grey
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    easiest way to tell there is a black strip above glove box with MPS logo, rather than grey
    Is it just cosmetic difference?

Fook.

Welcome to the forum, hope you find your right car...

9. Default

Found it!

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/3-323-dis...on-series.html

Although it still doesn't explain the Series 1 vs Series 2 thing. I'm assuming when people talk about Series 1 they mean A or B. sounds like its mostly cosmetic, and it sounds like a series 2 is a better option, with the DSC etc? I can't imagine what it would be like driving a powerful front driver like this with no DSC/TC!

Reallly quick answer as I'm at work, may expand later at home.

The original Mazda 3 body shape (BK) is sometimes now referred to as 'Gen 1', the 2009 onwards model which you see in showrooms now (BL) as the 'Gen 2'.

Relating to the 3MPS, the 3 MPS was introduced at BK Series 2 release (2006 as the 'C' evolution of the 3 platform) in two versions, normal and sport (sport having part leather seats, Bose Stereo, low beam Xenon headlights and shadow chrome wheels) then refreshed in 2008 ('D' evolution).

The 'A' and 'B' evolutions of the BK Mazda 3 are referred to as 'BK Series 1', the 'C' and 'D' evolutions as 'BK Series 2'. You will see this Mazda 3 Series 1/2 naming in ads on Carsales. BK Mazda 3MPS's are always Series 2.

An update to the 'D' evolution of the BK occured in 2008, and for the 3MPS changes to interior trim were the most obvious difference from the 'C' evolution, with the introduction of a new colour (Metro Grey). All 3MPS's have DSC and TC as standard.

Progressive improvements were made throughout the build cycle, with changes in componentry (i.e. revised turbos) in response to issues noted through warranty claims and observed by dealers during servicing. In short, buy on build month and year when combined with condition and km. Get the latest one, with the least km in the best condition. The last of the BK 3MPS's (late 2008 build) had most niggles sorted out and are a pretty good buy.

In 2009 the BK model Mazda 3 was then replaced by the BL model and the BL Series 1 3MPS was part of this range. The BL Series 2 change over has just happened in the past few months, with a revision to colours, standard equipment and pricing.

Hope this helps!

11. Default

Excellent, thanks for that

Do you know if the BL Series 1 brought back issues (seeing as it was a whole new car) compared to the BK series 2? From what you've said, and what I've read, I think I'll likely be looking for a late model BK or an early model BL (my budget doesn't stretch to a later model BL unfortunately). I prefer the exterior of the BK, but the interior of the BL, but I'm slowly also warming up to the exterior of the BL

Really not sure.

There are a couple of threads here where owners discuss issues they've had, that's prob a good place to start.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

Good luck in your search.

Have you checked my car out in the for sale section of this forum? 13500km approx. prestine condition. Car is still available. Price negotiable!!

14. Default

Heya, just looked at it. A bit above my price range, and probably not ready to seriously look until march next year (wedding end of February!) unless I find a deal I absolutely can't refuse!

Fook.

Quote Originally Posted by Demuire View Post
    Excellent, thanks for that

Do you know if the BL Series 1 brought back issues (seeing as it was a whole new car) compared to the BK series 2? From what you've said, and what I've read, I think I'll likely be looking for a late model BK or an early model BL (my budget doesn't stretch to a later model BL unfortunately). I prefer the exterior of the BK, but the interior of the BL, but I'm slowly also warming up to the exterior of the BL
    Welcome to the forum

I too really like the BK exterior but was in the market for a new car so went with the Gen 2 (BL) in Dec 09 and have never looked back . It was love at first test drive, I gave the SP25 a quick spin but it never had a chane really .

I've had a few teething issues with mine, mould grew behind the sat nav screen (replaced under wry and ll ok now), and. Problem with inner tyre wear, going though a set of tyres in 19,000km, but I've replaced the ZoEM tyres with KU36's, rotate them every 5,0000 and keep the pressure at 40 in the front and 38 in th rear, and so far, all is good with no uneven wear. Even with these issues, I'd still never give her up .

Good luck with your decision
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS