User Tag List

Thread: So I just installed a TBE...

1. Default So I just installed a TBE...

Hi everyone!

My name's Daniel, 20 year old student from Sydney. I've had my 06 MPS6 for about a month now and just today I had a TBE installed with an HKS BOV (the super SQV). It sounds great! The increase in responsiveness is particularly noticeable. I have a few questions:

1) My TBE has a resonator in it... is there anyone who's been in the situation I'm currently in of deciding whether to remove it for more noise? If so, what are your experiences? The sound right now is very nice and clean, with little to no drone, but I was after a bit of a more raw, mean sound.

2) I've noticed that my exhaust is very quiet for the first 5 or so minutes of driving (from a cold start), getting louder until it peaks at a decent volume after around 10 minutes. Is this normal? I can't see any reason why the exhaust note would get louder as the engine gets warmer.

3) After doing these two mods, is my engine in any sort of risk? Should I get it tuned asap? I ask this question because I've read things like it may affect air/fuel ratio, etc., and the car is now backfiring a bit.

4) Can someone explain what causes backfiring?

Cheers to everyone reading this and offering advice. Just having a look through the forum it seems everyone is very warm and friendly, and I'm looking forward to my future experiences with the aus MPS family!

Daniel

The only one I have any input would be 2) From my experience the drone is louder while the car is warming up and slowly settles to its regular sound, no idea how yours got 'reversed'

Edit: Also welcome
    Last edited by Toxi; 07-07-2011 at 02:12 AM.

3. Default

Yeah that makes more sense. I'm gonna have another look tomorrow and see if I notice the same thing again. Maybe it was just me lol

1) I don't suggest removing the resonator, you'll likely get more droning and it has only a small impact to the volume or tone of the sound. The things that will make a bigger change to the sound are material of the exhaust, mufflers obviously and the number of cats you have.
    3) No and only if you want to get the most out of your mods. It does not affect AFR as that is determined at the intake until combustion in the engine occurs. If an exhaust is installed properly (and you kept your O2 sensors) there is no more risk to your engine than a stock exhaust.
    4) It's not a backfire, it is unburnt fuel being ignited typically by the catalytic converter. From experience it occurs on WOT upshifts, low rpm downshifting or just getting onto boost and letting off. Basically anytime there is a change in AFR as determined by the ECU. I assume you're also down to 1 cat which reduces the amount of sound reduction provided. Note that a stock mps will do the same thing, but with 2 cats and better insulated mufflers, you usually don't hear it.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxi View Post
    The only one I have any input would be 2) From my experience the drone is louder while the car is warming up and slowly settles to its regular sound, no idea how yours got 'reversed'

Edit: Also welcome
    I've got a CBE with eliminated.... bits...

Very barky and load. On start up I actually cringe at 5.30am as the whole street cops the 'BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP' until it settles after 30 secs or so. Cannot understand why yours would get louder when warm however...?

Edit: just noticed the times on the posts here. When do you people sleep?!

Hey Daniel,

was that your black MPS 6 at western mufflers yesterday? i had mine there aswell getting the turbo thrown in :P

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post

Edit: just noticed the times on the posts here. When do you people sleep?!
    Never! Sleep is for the weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toxi View Post
    Never! Sleep is for the weak.
    haha! Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    1) I don't suggest removing the resonator, you'll likely get more droning and it has only a small impact to the volume or tone of the sound. The things that will make a bigger change to the sound are material of the exhaust, mufflers obviously and the number of cats you have.
    3) No and only if you want to get the most out of your mods. It does not affect AFR as that is determined at the intake until combustion in the engine occurs. If an exhaust is installed properly (and you kept your O2 sensors) there is no more risk to your engine than a stock exhaust.
    4) It's not a backfire, it is unburnt fuel being ignited typically by the catalytic converter. From experience it occurs on WOT upshifts, low rpm downshifting or just getting onto boost and letting off. Basically anytime there is a change in AFR as determined by the ECU. I assume you're also down to 1 cat which reduces the amount of sound reduction provided. Note that a stock mps will do the same thing, but with 2 cats and better insulated mufflers, you usually don't hear it.
    ^^^^^
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

10. Default

Cheers to everyone for the replies, especially Nuliaj. Very helpful! Yes I kept the O2 sensors and yes down to 1 cat. If there's unburnt fuel passing through, does that mean the engine's running rich? Sorry if this is a noob question lol. I've mainly experienced it during low rpm downshifts, which makes sense based on your explanation. Also, what does WOT stand for?

Hey rayd, yeah that was me haha. Small world! It was a pretty big turbo ay... big gains? Have you considered putting a front mount in there? Btw nice choice of colour :P

WOT = wide open throttle, aka foot flat to the floor
    and yes, these cars naturally run a bit rich

Heh, thanks dude,

Nah I opted bigger top mount to keep turbo lag down, and the lag is still amazing lol
    Get that thing a proper down pipe tho, not sure if you saw it but the 1st cat at the back of the turbo is mega restricting

Quote Originally Posted by mpsdaniel View Post
    Cheers to everyone for the replies, especially Nuliaj. Very helpful! Yes I kept the O2 sensors and yes down to 1 cat. If there's unburnt fuel passing through, does that mean the engine's running rich? Sorry if this is a noob question lol. I've mainly experienced it during low rpm downshifts, which makes sense based on your explanation. Also, what does WOT stand for?

Hey rayd, yeah that was me haha. Small world! It was a pretty big turbo ay... big gains? Have you considered putting a front mount in there? Btw nice choice of colour :P