User Tag List

Thread: Feature review on the new generation Mazda 3 MPS

Blog Entries

Default Feature review on the new generation Mazda 3 MPS

Feature review on the new generation Mazda 3 MPS

In 2006 we were quietly introduced to a new toy – the Mazda 3 MPS. At the time, it was a sleeper car whose exterior, except for maybe larger rims and a bulging bonnet, barely even hinted at what lay underneath its skin. The car was praised as being a weapon in the spec department, easily trumping anything else in the class. It went on to sell 30,000 units worldwide, including 1,500 in Australia.

Whilst no first attempt is ever perfect, Mazda did a pretty good job at creating a flagship model, but there were a few areas that needed tweaking – and I’m happy to report that improvements have been made!

Mazda’s research suggested that buyers didn’t like the subtle styling and the next generation would have to evolve to a more aggressive and expressive look – I’m not so sure I agree, but I will cover that later. First, let’s have a look at the features of the car.

The first things you notice when you step into the MPS are buttons! There are buttons everywhere, to the point that you feel like you’re about to pilot a space ship as opposed to a hot hatch. Both luxury and standard models get push button start and the excellent Multi Information Display (MID) which incorporates sat nav, trip computer (with distance to empty!), Bluetooth for both mobile phones and A2DP compatible Bluetooth portable music players. All of these can be controlled from the steering wheel as well. The boost gauge is a welcome addition, but I didn’t end up looking at it whilst driving. The rest of the gauges are bright, easy to read and effectively positioned.

The interior design of the MPS has always been pleasing to the eye, and the new design is no exception. Both models get partial leather seats, unlike the last model which had a choice between cloth and leather. The seats are comfortable, yet still provide the support needed for those spirited drives up and down the mountain range. The driver’s seat also features 8-way power adjustment with 3-position memory function and lumbar adjust.

The centre console has changed from the previous model and now has a sliding top (which I assume is to be used as an arm rest). However, when the handbrake is engaged, sliding the top forward causes it to hit the handbrake handle – strange! The gear shift is higher, closer to the driver and feels as though it is in a more natural position. Gear changes are smooth and the gearbox feels a whole lot nicer than the clunky first generation one. The clutch also seems to have been improved, contributing to a much easier and faster gear shift.

The new smart keyless entry system is a nice feature added to both models. Like the Mitsubishi Lancer, the driver simply carries the key with them in their pocket so that when they approach the car, the doors unlock. This makes way for the push button start which makes you feel special every time you press it! The smart keyless entry system allows two drivers to have their seat memory automatically selected when they open the door. Mazda told me that with the use of two keys, you can have up to 5-positions saved on the driver’s seat, but this needs confirmation.

Purchasing the Luxury option will give you an auto dimming rear view mirror, auto on/off bi‐xenon headlamps that turn left and right as you corner, a cleaner design for the front indicator system, premium Bose 10-speaker sound system and rain‐sensing front wipers.

Moving to the exterior, you’ll notice a small MPS badge on the front grill. Initially this badge was not going to appear on the Australian model and the first batch of MPSs was ordered without it. However, journalists at the press conference announcement earlier in the year said it should stay, and as a result, the first shipment of MPSs arriving in Australia will need to have the front badge fitted at the dealership.

Now to a feature that has baffled many of us – the boot release button. Why Mazda decided to add an ugly button smack bang in the middle of the boot, we will never know. I am at a loss as to why they took out the handle release system like the last model (i.e. neatly tucked under the hand grip). Further to this, there is another boot lock button in the right rear tail light which is black and stands out like the proverbial. If it weren’t for these two ‘blemishes’ the rear styling would nearly be perfect viewed from behind!

Nearly perfect? What else is wrong with the rear styling, you should ask? I’ll tell you – the tailpipes! Gone is the single large outlet that makes the car appear to have a 2.5” system all the way through. Instead, you get what appear to be the same tailpipes as the SP25. The chrome tip that surrounds the outlet makes it look cheap and far from sporty. If I was to purchase a new MPS, I would most certainly change the exhaust tips.

On to the front, a new air intake for the intercooler is introduced to the centre of the New Generation Mazda3 MPS bonnet, hinting at the power beneath. This is a big change from the first generation ‘sleeper’ look and has given it a new visual identity with a more aggressive appearance. Initially I wasn’t too sure about the front on design features of the new model, but after spending a day with it, it really grows on you. It looked mean flying over the crest of the hill, and looked at home aggressively attacking corners.

What I do have a problem with is the side profile of the car. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to describe what I don’t like about it and all I can think of is the following: when looking at the car side on, I can’t help but think the MPS (and the normal Mazda 3 hatch, for that matter) looks like it has a big nose and a fat arse. The shape of the front half of the car is too round for my liking and the rear just sticks out too much. Am I being too picky? Probably. But I tried to get used to it and I just couldn’t.

The wheels on the second generation car are now wider and have 225s fitted to them to increase grip and improve handling. The rim style is taken from the GT RX-8, which I think look a bit too much like they belong on an SP25. Perhaps if the wheels were a darker colour, similar to how they appear on the RX-8 or like the shadow chrome on the first generation ‘sports pack’, they would be more appealing to me.

That’s it for the styling. So how does it drive compared to the previous model? Quite simply – it is wonderful!

Mazda have evaluated every aspect of the vehicle’s handling and made some excellent improvements. You can read more technical information about the handling improvements in Mal’s review.

The steering system has been upgraded to an electro‐hydraulic power assisted steering (EHPAS), which adjusts control in accordance with vehicle speed and steering angle to give a precise, solid response for an outstanding feel. Steering is direct and sharp at just 2.7 turns from lock to lock, and on the track at Sutton Road, you could really feel the improvement. You feel more ‘at one’ with the car, getting constant feedback to your fingertips about what the car is doing. The handling of this car was the most obvious and most welcome improvement.

Mazda claim that NVH has been improved by up to 11 percent thanks to aerodynamic refinements, increased suspension rigidity, optimal positioning of vibration dampening material, increased body and panel rigidity. I can tell you that driving on the ‘real world’ circuit proved that whilst there is a noticeable decrease in road noise, it could still use further tweaking.

There you have it - a mixed un-biased analysis after my experience on Wednesday. In summary, I loved the attention to detail and thoughtfulness of the additional features in the new model. The interior is extremely useful and aesthetically pleasing. Handling and steering are improved and it’s much more fun to drive. The styling is unique, and will be an acquired taste to many owners of the first generation. The positive outcome of the aggressive styling is that more people will know about the car, thus increasing the reputation and after-market options.

Having owned a first generation Mazda 3 MPS, would I buy one? My answer would be a cautious yes. Cautious because the handling improvements and exciting new features just outweigh my uncertainty of the styling. It was a pleasure to drive the new model and anyone who has already signed their name on the dotted line won’t be disappointed!

Cheers
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Great read Rowie!

Thanks for the write up

Great read, excellent work

KMH001's article convinced me on the technical aspects and armthehomeless' arrticle has convinced me on the features - combined both articles tell me that is one seriously good car that you get for the money spent!

4. Default

Good job Rowan ... OZMPS rocks ... did u read the write up on OZM

Blog Entries

No I'm not a member. Maybe I should sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Good job Rowan ... OZMPS rocks ... did u read the write up on OZM
    Perhaps you should share

There you have it, a dedicated MPS forum with not one but two detailed reviews of the newest MPS, written by actual MPS owners, what more could a prospective MPS owner ask for?

This is the best resource in Australia for MPS information and advice.

Well done Rowan.

Thanks Rowe!

Great report and if I wasn't convinced on the MPS Day I would be after reading ur report....I did find that the steering wheel was a bit busy and the silver didn't really do much for me.....its power delivery is more refined and not as raw as I would have expected but still lightning fast.The gear change is slick and precise and the suspension and brakes work perfectly. The list of creature comforts are outstanding and the attention to detail is second to none….

I’m a fan of the new look 3 and the MPS has now stepped up to stand alone due to its muscular lines and the large bonnet scoop which gives the new MPS a street greed look….the start button is a great inclusion.

10. Default

Great job Rowan. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the car. I have a service this coming Friday at my local Mazda dealer - I wonder if they'll have the new 3MPS there by then? Might have to go for a spin

Great review, Rowan!!

I guess i should post my

instead of being lazy and pressing a button.

Good Work mate....and i hear it was a great day all round for many car clubs.

Happy Motoring
    duglet