User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 WRX gets fatter

1. Default 2011 WRX gets fatter

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Adopts STI Widebody Sheetmetal, Australian Debut Q4 2010

SUBARU HAS TODAY revealed the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX ahead of next month's New York Auto Show, with both the hatch and sedan adopting the widebody sheetmetal of the high-performance STI variant.

Speaking with TMR today, Subaru Australia's David Rowley confirmed that the updated WRX four- and five-door models will make their Australian debut not long after the US.

"We're still in negotiations with the factory, but at this point we're expecting both bodyshapes to arrive in the fourth quarter of this year," Mr Rowley said, adding that it's too early to say whether pricing of either model will be affected."

The updated WRX's wide haunches mean more than just a cosmetic upgrade however, with both the front and rear tracks now 38mm wider than the 2009 WRX.

Firmer subframe bushings and wider 17x8-inch wheels and 235/45R17 tyres bring further improvements, while the WRX's overall weight has increased by around 15kg.

A new grille is featured up front, along with sharper bumper corners, a jutting front lip and darkened fog-light recesses.

Largely a styling and handling upgrade, the 2011 Impreza WRX is powered by the same 2.5 litre four-cylinder that features in the current model, producing 195kW and 343Nm of torque.

“This new look gives the iconic Impreza WRX even greater presence in a package which has already won accolades for its turbocharged Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive ability," Nick Senior, Managing Director of Subaru Australia said.

“This design further distinguishes our turbo Impreza variants, including the Impreza WRX STI, from the normally aspirated versions, which we’re sure will please the many loyal WRX fans out there.”

The updated 2011 Impreza WRX will debut in New York on April 1 - and Subaru assures that it's no joke.

Source :themotorreport
    ************************************************** *******************************
    In advance of its New York Auto Show debut next week, Subaru has previewed the 2011 Impreza WRX, which will be distanced even further from basic Impreza models, adopting an aggressive wide-body look that bears more in common with the top-performance Impreza STI model.

The wide stance matters, too. With about an inch and a half of extra track front and back, plus wider 17-inch wheels and firmer rear subframe bushings, the 2011 WRX should have significantly improved grip and poise, as well as a more authoritative presence.

As before, the WRX will be powered by a 2.5-liter horizontally opposed (‘flat’) four-cylinder engine, still making 265 horsepower and 244 pound-feet of torque, and hooked up to a five-speed manual transmission.

Cosmetically, the WRX gets a more assertive, aggressive look that closely resembles that of the top-performance STI model, with carved-outward fenders and flared wheelwells, sharpened bumper corners, and racier-looking air ducts, and in front blacked-out fog lamps plus a new lip spoiler and grille that again serve to emphasize the width. Alongside, the gentle fold of the sheetmetal just below the beltline in the 2010 model has been turned into a sharp crease in the 2011 WRX.

The new WRX gains 33 pounds, according to Subaru, but the design changes together improve the model’s drag coefficient.

There are more changes to the 2011 Impreza WRX on the inside. Carbon black checkered upholstery with red stitching is included, with ‘performance design’ front seats and aluminum-alloy pedal covers and dead pedal. A new sound system now accommodates Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free calling, plus a USB port, iPod compatibility, and an input jack. It’s also ready for an XM or Sirius satellite radio subscription.

Specifically, the WRX’s standard wheel size goes from 17x7 inches to 17x8 inches, with the tire size going from 225/45R17 to 235/45R17.

Since the 2011 Subaru WRX hasn’t structurally changed, we expect it to retain its excellent safety reputation—including top results in all tests and IIHS Top Safety Pick status. Electronic stability control, front side and full-length side-curtain airbags, and anti-lock brakes with Brake Assist will remain standard—including of course all-wheel drive.

The new 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX models—in four-door sedan or five-door hatchback form—are set to arrive at dealerships beginning this summer.

Source:thecarconnection
    Last edited by blackbetty; 24-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

This will piss STi owners off so much, what do you think Wardski?

That makes the sedan look so much better now! Does this mean an STi sedan?

4. Default

yeh apparently Sti is rumoured to be coming out in Sedan as well

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...1-ar78535.html

subaru just bring it out in the hatch/wagon body shape again and youve sold me
    Last edited by blackbetty; 24-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Good move!

With the STi body they will look good this time around and hopefully like the STi they will look better in the flesh than in the pics.

Subaru

current sti owners will be peeved.. i wud

dont mind the look of the hatch...massive improvement of current model..sedan looks a bit iffy thou.

like a KIA??

Mmmmm wagon please

So what's the STI gonna look like? As above with Torana A9X flares?

Actually that gives me an idea...

looks better but still not keen on that wrx shape.

they should of kept the wide body for sti only,now sti wont look any different from standard wrx.i agree it looks the goods but should have done something different.

Nah doesn't do it for me.... please don't compare it to SLR Torana

Loving the sedan.... HMMM

Smile Not likely !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Nah doesn't do it for me.... please don't compare it to SLR Torana
    + I subies don't impreza me !!!!!!
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

What is Subaru doing ! ! ! These cars lost there appeal and attitude in 2006 !

Sedan from rear doors back= sweeeeeeeet

From that angle I agree, however once you see it from the back it looks like a KIA

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    From that angle I agree, however once you see it from the back it looks like a KIA
    Yeah they gotta fix those dodgy tail lights, does not look like a quality Japanese car and same for the Liberty though that needs much more than tail lights to make it look good!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    yeh apparently Sti is rumoured to be coming out in Sedan as well

Subaru Impreza WRX STi sedan should return in 2011 - Top Speed

subaru just bring it out in the hatch/wagon body shape again and youve sold me

This I like
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast