User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda's newest HOT HATCH weighs in

Blog Entries

Default Mazda's newest HOT HATCH weighs in

After months of speculation, specs are finally starting to trickle in for the upcoming new Mazda3 MPS...and as expected, they aren't surprising.

Up just 1kW from the previous model, the new MPS 3 will pump 191kW and 380Nm of torque through the front wheels by way of a tweaked MZR 2.3 litre four cylinder, direct injection turbo engine.

Fuel efficiency and emissions have been improved over the outgoing model, with the existing 2.3 litre MZR engine now Euro V compliant.

Those expecting issues of torque steer from the previous model to be improved may be happy to hear that a new torque sensing LSD and a array of sensors will help to improve traction and reduce torque steer, especially in lower gears.

Word on the street is that the new MPS3 has shaved a sizeable chunk out of the existing car's 8m 39sec Nurburgring time.

In just over a week and half, we will find out when the car debuts in the flesh at the Geneva Motor Show on 4th March.

Source: Wheels Magazine (March 2009), p.20.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

hmm wonder what the time was on the Ring ??

lol @ 1kw extra... haha

Blog Entries

I wonder if the torque has increased?

1kw is embarrasing...............10kw would have sounded like they actually tried, & at least 6kw would have out done the current WRX.

Blog Entries

I don't think they ever intended to increase the power. I remember back when everyone was saying it was going to be AWD 2.5 T (looks at duglet). I was firm and said that I bet it would use the same engine with the same power...but I don't want to gloat

I knew they would focus on the handling and build quality.

Im sure that driveability & styling were the major factors of the new model but its not often a new model has only a 1kw increase over the old one. Especially when its a numbers game these days. ie Ford vs Holden 315kw vs 317kw.
    A 200kw badge would have looked great next to the MPS badge.

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Im sure that driveability & styling were the major factors of the new model but its not often a new model has only a 1kw increase over the old one. Especially when its a numbers game these days. ie Ford vs Holden 315kw vs 317kw.
    A 200kw badge would have looked great next to the MPS badge.
    You mean like the new current Civic Type R which had 1 hp over the last one
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

You got me on that one......1 horsepower = 0.745699872 kilowatts

Blog Entries

reduce torque steer!! It might not feel like the car is trying to change lanes by itself.

It might just have 1 extra KW but hopefully it have extra bits where it counts (handling, workmanship and just overall a better feeling car)

Still looking forward to this car.

10. Default

Who needs problems with torque steer when you can just lift some weights and hold on tighter to the wheel!!! lol!!!

Glad they've address some of the problems with the current MPS, but I'm still a bit miffed they didn't go the 2.5L block and really give it some major power increase. Then again, with enough problems getting traction with the 2.3.... why change?

Don't forget it's not the peak power, it's the difference under the curve. Sure the tweaked engine might only produce 1 extra kw at peak, but we don't know the rest of the story yet. Likely they've tested it against the new WRX so it will more than likely be a good match up.

I will save my final word once it comes out and start showing what it can do.

Blog Entries

Bring on price and interior shots!

torque steer!! to me its not that bad!! in the wet mayb... jus gotta old on... tho the new gen is really growing on me.. i might look at one in 5 months when they release it!!!

Hmm still dont like the smiley look of the front or that bonnet scoop, for me personally i will stick with my current model MPS3 as i actually like the "sleeper" look that it has.

It would want to be a big improvement over the current one to justify an upgrade, I don't think it will be a huge improvement...

The late 07-08 build 3 MPS is a very sweet car with most issues sorted. For you guys with 06-early 07 there could be justification to upgrade due to the build quality issues and quality issues if you want to stay with the 3 MPS.

I can't really see the benefit of upgrading at this point. however it should bring in some new members and that can't be a bad thing.. At least we will get to hear the truth about how the car really is..

Need to see in the flesh!!!

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    It would want to be a big improvement over the current one to justify an upgrade, I don't think it will be a huge improvement...

The late 07-08 build 3 MPS is a very sweet car with most issues sorted. For you guys with 06-early 07 there could be justification to upgrade due to the build quality issues and quality issues if you want to stay with the 3 MPS.
    What are these so-called issues? Great build quality on the 07 as far as I am concerned. Also what is this torque steer nonsense? This car has beaten the wrx and others for years in the hot hatch stakes for handling as well as build quality. Some of you guys need to swallow some cement and harden the f*** up!
    Last edited by Cosmic3MPS; 22-02-2009 at 12:18 AM.

I love the torque steer...thats what sold it to me...its what makes it fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast