User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Beginners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    High quality MS Paint picture coming up
    NVM, found the street unit picture...
    Woohoo love me some ms paint!
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Good effort Alex!

As long as no one feels like they can't ever ask a question or needs to donate before being accepted all is well in this forum!

Oh by all means ask questions, this just covers the basic simple stuff. Thanks Mitch

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just wanted to make a post that covered a large number of questions I see people asking when first joining

Bumping thread for new members

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

P platers and your MPS

so, as many people would know, p platers can now buy into our cars... but, only the mps 6 as it's under 130kw/tonne...
    Prohibited vehicles – definitions < Car < Getting a licence < Licensing < Roads and Maritime Services
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s/vsi/vsi6.pdf

i'm sure there will be many questions as to what mods people can do... cause i only feel like writing this once, here's a list of things that i have interpreted that you CAN do (note, neither i, nor ozmps, takes any responsibility for this being incorrect):

• HPFP upgrade (yay for keeping engine safe!)
    • increase power by up to 20%, so yes a tune is fine
    • cat back exhaust, doesnt effect emissions, so it's fine
    • Sway Bars/suspension (cant change ride height by more than 1/3)
    • different wheels (up to 8" wide)
    • different sized tires, as long as within 7% of outside diameter (Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit to calculate it)
    • Cosmetic stuff, can paint bright pink unicorns on it if you want
    • Gauges/entertainment systems etc...
    • Engine/Diff mounts
    • Shifter bushings

I'm not 100% sure on intakes/intercoolers, so i wont say either way here... @bd581 ?

I'd say a BOXED intake is likely fine, but i'm really unsure of that
    a replacement TOP mount might be fine, but a front mount is out of the question

now, the obviously bad stuff:
    • Anything to do that removes Catalytic converters/EGR will be a big NO so dont touch those
    • Blow off Valve, sorry, but no Vent To Atmosphere allowed, if it's 100% recirculation (aka, bypass valve), then it's fine
    • Hellaflush/body kits
    • turbo swaps
    • external wastegates

happy for more input here
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 17-07-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Massive can of worms opened with the rules.
    Especially the 20% increase of power rule.
    How will a cop know?
    Some cars react differently to other to mods. Cat back exhaust does SFA on a MPS, but on a skyline or 200SX for example, you probably use up a good bit of your 20% allowance.
    It won't be long until that's realised and some new rule will come in.

But in my opinion (and that of a couple of cop mates) if you don't do anything stupid chances are the police wouldn't even bother. However, as shown by the introduction of the previous rules, it only takes a few to stuff it up for everyone.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Also modifying above 130kw/tonne will make the car non compliant again for P platers.

Examples not requiring certification:
    Alternative exhaust systems that retain the original or equivalent emission control equipment eg headers, mufflers, complete exhaust systems. Alternative engine intake and filtration systems that retain the original emission control equipment eg replacement filter elements/assemblies, intercoolers, cold air intakes, snorkels.

I feel like that's a yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jayfkN View Post
    Examples not requiring certification:
    Alternative exhaust systems that retain the original or equivalent emission control equipment eg headers, mufflers, complete exhaust systems. Alternative engine intake and filtration systems that retain the original emission control equipment eg replacement filter elements/assemblies, intercoolers, cold air intakes, snorkels.

I feel like that's a yes.
    Its a qualified yes.

I went in to see an exhaust guy yesterday for advice.

You can replace part or all of the system as long as you match the level of emissions control. What you can't do legally is put a catless dump pipe on or just delete either of the cats.

On the intake / intercooler side you have no legal issues as long as you don't disconnect PCV or EGR. In fact an upgraded TMIC is a very stealthy and worthwhile modification and was the first thing I did.

The big issue I think you will have as a P plater is that any modifications that take the vehicle above 130 kw/tonne will make the vehicle non compliant for you to drive.

Seriously do you need more than 191kW for road use yet?
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

11. Default

Thanks for the info

12. Default

Hi All,
    doing my research reading and have a question:
    SarcasticOne says (and I thought same), removing any Catalytic Converters / BAD.
    Yet early in this same thread, there is a picture depicting the exhaust system. Mention is made that you can replace Section 2...and replace with a test pipe. Well if Section 2 is in fact the 2nd Cat, doesn't that contradict what is allowable?
    Or is the claim that "What is possible to do, isn't necessarily legal".
    So i suppose my question is: Can you replace this 2nd section of pipework? And is there any benefit in doing so? The writing surrounding that picture states there is benefit in doing so.
    Thoughts are appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Mut77 View Post
    Hi All,
    doing my research reading and have a question:
    SarcasticOne says (and I thought same), removing any Catalytic Converters / BAD.
    Yet early in this same thread, there is a picture depicting the exhaust system. Mention is made that you can replace Section 2...and replace with a test pipe. Well if Section 2 is in fact the 2nd Cat, doesn't that contradict what is allowable?
    Or is the claim that "What is possible to do, isn't necessarily legal".
    So i suppose my question is: Can you replace this 2nd section of pipework? And is there any benefit in doing so? The writing surrounding that picture states there is benefit in doing so.
    Thoughts are appreciated...
    Most exhaust mods are illegal in most states. Read up on the NCOP for Light Vehicle Modifications and local State rules.

Deleting the 2nd Cat has a performance benefit and is cheap and easy to do.

Deleting the primary Cat or replacing with a catless dump pipe can cause over boosting issues if you don't retune your ECU. It is also more likely to be detected as a defect.

Hope this helps.

For completeness I have a catted 3" custom DP, second cat delete and axle back muffler replacement (also HPFP upgrade and tune).
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Blog Entries

re: CAT delete mods, Last time I checked in QLD, secondary CAT delete was OK, but primary CAT delete totally not cool as far as legalities etc go.

@Mut77 I passed an engineering cert in the ACT with the second cat removed and they checked legal requirements very closely. Definitely an easy power mod to do (couple of hours, ramps, and basic tools) and a good place to start learning.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lachlan; 31-07-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12