User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 Supercars: Series Boss Invites New Manufacturers

Blog Entries

Default V8 Supercars: Series Boss Invites New Manufacturers

THE V8 SUPERCAR CHAMPIONSHIP is set for an overhaul, with series boss Tony Cochrane calling upon car manufacturers to join an expanded series in 2012.

Cochrane has formed a new ‘Car of the Future’ committee, headed up by five-time Bathurst champion Mark Skaife, which will seek to secure involvement from additional manufacturers, breaking the current Ford and Holden duopoly.

All manufacturers are welcome to submit proposals to join the ever-growing Supercar circus, although the cars must meet certain conditions, including the mandatory use of a V8 engine and a top-end cost of $250,000.

[Source: The Motor Report]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

bring in the AMG's an M BEEMERS!

I would'nt mind seeing someone dose the macedonian taxi around bathurst

lets enter your Lincoln.........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaN|aC View Post
    bring in the AMG's an M BEEMERS!
    Second that motion....but where's the japanese representation?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse View Post
    lets enter your Lincoln.........
    Second that motion too......I think it might lose out a little on corner speed...
    Last edited by Nexus; 23-06-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Second that motion....but where's the japanese representation?

Lexus IS-F

I too would love to see some C63's and M3's belting around with the Falcodores
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Lexus IS-F

I too would love to see some C63's and M3's belting around with the Falcodores

mmmm yummy

Assuming 4 door sedans and maybe coupes, RWD, V8 and under $250k retail in Oz (but not taking into account multi-valve engines, forced induction etc). If it was today possibilities in addition to Ford+Holden would be.

Sedans

BMW M3
    BMW 550i
    Audi A6 4.2
    Audi A8 4.2
    Chrysler 300C
    Jaguar XF
    Jaguar XJR
    Lexus IS-F
    Merc C63
    Merc CLS500
    Merc E63
    Volvo S80

Coupes

Audi S5 4.2
    BMW M3
    BMW 650i
    Jaguar XK or XKR
    Merc CLK500
    Merc CLK63

Not a bad list! You could also throw some smokeys in that may not be strictly production but could work within a silhouette formula which is pretty much what V8 Supercars is now, such as.

Toyota Camry/Aurion (with IS-F motor or basic pushrod 5 litre based on Toyota NASCAR block)
    Nissan 370Z/Skyline/Maxima with VH series derived motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    Assuming 4 door sedans and maybe coupes, RWD, V8 and under $250k retail in Oz (but not taking into account multi-valve engines, forced induction etc). If it was today possibilities in addition to Ford+Holden would be.

Sedans

BMW M3
    BMW 550i
    Audi A6 4.2
    Audi A8 4.2
    Chrysler 300C
    Jaguar XF
    Jaguar XJR
    Lexus IS-F
    Merc C63
    Merc CLS500
    Merc E63
    Volvo S80

Coupes

Audi S5 4.2
    BMW M3
    BMW 650i
    Jaguar XK or XKR
    Merc CLK500
    Merc CLK63

Not a bad list! You could also throw some smokeys in that may not be strictly production but could work within a silhouette formula which is pretty much what V8 Supercars is now, such as.

Toyota Camry/Aurion (with IS-F motor or basic pushrod 5 litre based on Toyota NASCAR block)
    Nissan 370Z/Skyline/Maxima with VH series derived motor
    Would love to see the 300C out there!
    I thought that was what the pace-car was doing out there for the last couple of years, getting ready to promote Chrysler back into the Australian Touring Car scene...ah well...

what about the new toyota crown, its a V8 isnt it ?

could actually make it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    what about the new toyota crown, its a V8 isnt it ?
    yep

4.6L in 2WD model with 8sp auto

4.3L in 4WD model with 8sp auto

The part i like about that car...and I dont think its needed on the track...but would be awesome.

The Toyota Premium Sound System, with a 19-channel amplifier and 20 speakers, offers sound quality comparable to a live performance.
    Happy Motoring
    duglet

13. Default

I already see one problem.

Holden and Ford each have a representative on the ‘Car of the Future’ committee.

For this to work and to make sure the other manufactures are given a fair chance the committee should have no conflict of interest.

It is not in Holden and Fords' best interest to allow BMW to run an M3 - its a smaller car, with a much lighter engine, shorter overhangs, better balance and so on... Yes they are removed from stock, but a lighter engine means they can displace the extra weight throughout the car evenly. Hell they could just make a bigger version of the F1 engine!

Why would Holden and Ford allow BMW to run a car that has the potential to dominate the series?
    Last edited by Crusher_13; 05-07-2009 at 06:58 PM.

I reckon if they follow this path we'll end up with a NASCAR "Car of Tomorrow" or DTM-style formula which is even more removed from what is in the showroom than the current V8 Supercar formula.

I.E. Common floorplan, wheelbase, suspension and track with a different body styled on whatver car the manufacturer wants in the series and manufacturer specific drivetrains (bit limited to 5 litre V8 with 6 speed Hollinger gearbox for example, air restricted to 500hp or something).

15. Default

This has been on the table for years now, it was offer to Toyota but they said NO.
    Why would any other car company been willing to produce & develop a Super cab for this second rate class. When in a season or two they will band them.

Face it, its for bogans!

We will need see the Mt Duritt track suit ( HRT trackies) in a Merc Or Beemmer colours.

If more people watched real production car classes, guess what you can see all of these cars & more. Maybe more people should change the channel on a Sunday to SBS & watch speed week or WRC.

SUPER CABS =

Speedweek rocks!

Bring back the Bathurst 12/24 hour from the 90's, those were the days...or Group E

The racing on the Australian Manufacture Shannons Series is awesome.....all different makes and models straight off the showroom....

Dan 3MPS I fully agree with you as the old GrpE days were great sports coupes, V8 sedans, family 6cyl and the little guys under 2ltrs....

Mark Brame in that famous giant killing black Suzuki Gti with orange rims

18. Default

The stuff on SBS and Fox can be good. But every time I tune in it is old piece of shit commonwhores and falcons. I used to like watching the E36 318is's smash the big heavy commonwhores and falcons both under brakes and down the straights. A 200kw NA4 smashing a 300kw NAV8 was epic!

I have seen a few of the production car races, but for the most part they are old cars. Like 2001 Ceilicas and Integras.

The UK Touring cars are not the fastest cars in the world but they are driven well and driven aggressively and due to their size and weight there is a lot of overtaking.

Put that formula into Australia and it will be successful. I want to see overtaking, I want to see different cars, I want to see aggressive driving. I don't want to see commonwhores and falcons - I see them everyday, I don't want to see a procession of cars cause they are too wide to overtake, I don't want to hear all the V8 Supercar politics and complaining.

Give me variety and I'll be happy!

^ +1

Blog Entries

The UK Tourers are insane!! Some of the closest and most entertaining races I have ever seen...if they can bring that "spirit" of driving to Aus I am all for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast