• COBB SRI

0 0%
  • CP-e CAI (Full CAI)

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Intake would you get

Default What Intake would you get

Hey guys

as with my other thread, i just wanted to know which intake you think is the loudest in terms of induction noise etc

I have created a poll to see as im looking at the MZR SRI, 2XS SRI, CP-e CAI

Induction noise is also dependant on type of Filter and TIP

Blog Entries

2XS FTW but I think I'm just bias

i run a corksport. but 2xs had good results last weekend at teh dyno day

are you wanting to wait for the part (shipping) or buy and put it in quickly (local sale)

they all seem pretty much the same to me (I run an Injen CAI) so I'd go for any, just whatever would arrive faster and was better on my pocket for the next mod.......

6. Default

The loudest Inlet, would be a CP-e TIP with a CP-e Nano by far.

Agreed, it's more the turbo inlet pipe. Without it the sound just won't be the same

My set-up consists of: a K&N 3" High Flow pod filter attached to a CP-E CAI (Custom Matte black with "MPS" logo) into a black Silicone COBB TIP. As far as sound goes, it's generally pretty loud but not as "tinny" as a aluminium TIP.

I can't honestly compare against a SRI cause I've never heard one on an MPS in person, and also next to mine. I have a theory that a CAI might be louder considering the location (wheel arch). A SRI on the other hand, whilst being located under the hood and generally in the engine bay is somewhat acoustically lined. The firewall prevents sound, objects penetrating through etc, therefore, consideration is taken a) to keep the occupant safe and b) noise reduction. Open the window slightly or even shut CAI is pretty loud.

If that helps at all.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I figure performance is a better criterion than noise. If you get both and noise happens to be what you want, then fine. But lots of noise and zero performance = dog.

CAI's are a major pain in the butt as far as I can see. They don't give you significantly colder air, the plumbing doesn't clean up your engine bay much, if at all, the pod is in the dustiest location imaginable and is a bitch to get at to service, and half of them seem prone to water ingestion, or the worry of it. There's more...

Stick with an SRI and decent TIP. There is far less column drag, you can see and service the filter in minutes, it runs in cleaner air, and it frees up space in the engine bay, and it can be easily removed inside 5 minutes to get at other stuff. If you feel it is necessary, make or buy a cold air box to surround the SRI. I personally don't feel it's worth it when running after measuring TIT's. And if you want some noise, the SRI will give you more induction noise, depending on the filter design.

I'm not a fan of "look at me" sound however - but that's just me. I prefer to just vanish like a ghost and leave others wondering where I went to. And it doesn't piss other people off. That's why I hate Harley_Davidson bikes with no baffles.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    2XS FTW but I think I'm just bias
    I'm not biased either.

Buy mine, Australian made (using the best filter available - K&N)
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

i may do 2xs there is one FS on here, which i have secured

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I'm not biased either.

Buy mine, Australian made (using the best filter available - K&N)
    Aus made ftw
    If I was buying would buy from troy/ces
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Would have to agree.

The 2xs sri is really top notch.

Sounds hot, and makes power.

I've run a CES SRI, designed by 2XS for >12 months, CEL free, and the power, pickup and noise is nothing short of awesome.

Strongly recommend 2XS SRI, Australian Made, Australian Design, one of our Site Supporters, and a good guy to know.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    I've run a CES SRI, designed by 2XS for >12 months, CEL free, and the power, pickup and noise is nothing short of awesome.

Strongly recommend 2XS SRI, Australian Made, Australian Design, one of our Site Supporters, and a good guy to know.
    +1 ......great mod and I have not had any issues with mine either. Troy (2XS) does excellent work and is always around to answer any queries about his products.
    2009 3MPS Lux | Aluminium | 3M Black Tint | CES Racing SRI | 2XS SSP | 2XS/ CES Twin DP | 2XS TIP | 2XS FMIC | cp-e 75 duro REM | Turbosmart BPV | Sure Motorsports - Countershift & Anchors | Eibach Pro Kit Springs

Quote Originally Posted by steinez View Post
    +1 ......great mod and I have not had any issues with mine either. Troy (2XS) does excellent work and is always around to answer any queries about his products.
    +2
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Hey guys, i went with the 2XS, overall not too happy, my main aim was noise, and i can hear a sight amount of induction noise so long as you really listen for it an all windows are up!
    and you can only really hear it before the exhaust sounds like a jet then you can. Power on the other has is a huge increase so well one 2XS on that part, happy there

Have i done something wrong? mind you my K&N POD hasnt arrived so im using a ~$60 one from auto shop however i expected much more noise

went in my mates mps3 with CP-e full CAI and fark me its loud even with music on you can hear massive amounts of induction noise

one Q but, the rubber pipe after teh SRI that bends, should that be changed?

Blog Entries

I would think the CAI is louder due to it being more piping to "echo" noise...correct me if I'm wrong.

My CAI was louder compared to my SRI.

Spool noise was extremely loud when i fitted the CPE nano sri with a dryflow pod.

I would assume filters would play a big difference in noise. Wait and see when you get the K&N.

Also, might help to change the turbo inlet pipe if you want more noise.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    My set-up consists of: a K&N 3" High Flow pod filter attached to a CP-E CAI (Custom Matte black with "MPS" logo) into a black Silicone COBB TIP. As far as sound goes, it's generally pretty loud but not as "tinny" as a aluminium TIP.

I can't honestly compare against a SRI cause I've never heard one on an MPS in person, and also next to mine. I have a theory that a CAI might be louder considering the location (wheel arch). A SRI on the other hand, whilst being located under the hood and generally in the engine bay is somewhat acoustically lined. The firewall prevents sound, objects penetrating through etc, therefore, consideration is taken a) to keep the occupant safe and b) noise reduction. Open the window slightly or even shut CAI is pretty loud.

If that helps at all.
    Luv your setup, that's exactly what I'm aiming to have on mine.

quick question....

if the filter sits basically behind the left front fog light, where does it draw the air in from???

Would it be possible to draw some air in from the front????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast