User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyperflow TMIC: Impressions so far

1. Default Hyperflow TMIC: Impressions so far

Just thought Id relate my impressions of the Hyperflow TMIC after Hyperflow has allowed me to run with it for a few days after they used my car for final fitting and assessment - thanks Blake

now these are purely my impressions and NOT Dyno results on performance gains

Firstly, Im very fussy about the quality, build and even the look of mods and fitment issues. I like the look of this TMIC- yes it is not packaged up neatly with a cover etc but it looks good in the engine bay and the build quality looks excellent with very neat welds etc. I ll be going with the black powder coated surround and polished core. It is obviously larger than the factory and in terms of performance gains, well -

the car feels less asthmatic, torque feels like it has increased in all gears most noticeable from 3rd onwards though and it seems to keep pulling for longer past 5500 rpm on a couple of long sprints, which would obviously be the case with a cooler denser charge from the larger TMIC and it being able to heat soak the turbos hot air for longer. In summary there is a definite improvent in performance, not mind blowing but definitely noticeable. I m really keen now to get new dump pipe and tune to see how well all these work with the TMIC.

On the prototype there is slight fitment issue on the back edge of the shroud being too high and hitting the intake hood lining- Hyperflow are well aware of this and making final adjustments to be fixed on the final product.

Ill be getting one - AND it is a locally made and quality product.
    Last edited by grizzly; 24-05-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for that grizzly, I've moved this to the Intake/Exhaust/Turbos forum

I could be joining that queue too Grizzly.

Thanks for the write up

"tell 'em the price son!"

5. Default

Complete Top Mount Intercooler Kit [TMIC]

The TMIC Kit is designed for the MAZDA MPS 3/ Mazdaspeed 3 06-08 Models

Core Size: 380 x 360 x 63 [mm]

Intercooler Supports: 260Kw +

Material: Aluminium [Light Weight]

Finish: Powder Coat Black

PRICE =

RRP: $1,140.00AUD includes GST

NEW RRP: $990.00AUD includes GST

Bwahaha @ the last two posts

I noticed these intercoolers are quite a bit thinner than the ETS or SU ones. 3/4" to be exact.
    Although very nice to see somebody putting the effort in to make some local product!!!

8. Default

i beleive the reason for the slightly thinner core is to allow more space above in the bonnet hood cavity to assist airflow through the core

Im sure this could be answered more comprehensively in Hyperflows sponsor thread

I can answer the thickness question. grizzly is correct. The first prototype was thicker, to the point that when I was testing it I found it virtually blocked the cooling airflow path through the bonnet duct.

So the advantage of reduced pressure drop with a bigger core was partially lost to ineffective cooling. It was so bad that after shutting the engine down for 5 minutes, it would take almost 15 minutes of driving to get the BAT back down to pre-heat soak temps. In comparison, the stock TMIC would return to normal temps after a minute or two. Admittedly the stocker has a lot less thermal inertia, but the blocked air duct was a major problem in my view.

I took these findings back to Hyperflow and to their credit they redesigned the unit and ordered a thinner core from their supplier in the US. Unfortunately this delayed the release of the TMIC but I think it's well worth the wait because it will be a more practical unit for street applications with better cooling airflow and less thermal inertia.

It's a simple case that the biggest is not always the best.

I can't wait to get mine.
    Last edited by kmh001; 24-05-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Gone to Volvo

I have the gen 2, which has the bonnet scoop. I wonder if these would benefit the larger core?
    Im unsure what the ducting on the older 3 + 6 looks like....

I will let you know next week, most likely.

Setting up a time for a trial fit with hyperflow for my gen 2.

Has anyone got any more opinions or stats on the hp tmic ??

Looking at the dyno graph on the other thread, not sure where the improvement is as all the lines bascially follow each other or is the dyno the wrong way to assess the benefit of this type of mod ??

Keen on getting one as they look great just want to know they work great too I guess !!

link to thread with dyno:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/hyper...-help-you.html
    Last edited by kookie; 06-08-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added link

Just waiting for my shroud to be final trial fitted next week.

Then might get a chance to gauge performance benefits.

14. Default

The TMIC should not really increase performance on its own. The TMIC will reduce pressure loss and increase the amount of air that enters the engine.

Our cars are very good at changing settings after we modify them. Initially the car saw more boost but that would have reduced as the car learnt the new parameters. My car has done this at least 5 times. And has been shown on a dyno twice. (200kw down to 187kw - 200kw was achieved straight after the TBE and Xede was fitted a few months later it was down at 187kw for no reason. The second time was after the engine mount was fitted. Before resetting the ECU 225kw after 209kw the car had issues holding boost as it had not learnt how much air was available so we had to tune it down it will be tuned again soon and I expect to see 230+kw at 18psi)

Real performance benefits will only be seen after a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post

Real performance benefits will only be seen after a tune.
    Key word there is performance. These "anti - restriction" type mods, IE any mod that reduces restriction on intake or exhaust; will improve efficiency of the engine overall. This is what actually causes the initial performance increase, the ECU is learns that to achieve its pre-programmed outcomes, it can instruct the engine to work less hard. In theory prologong engine life and inmproving fuel consumption.

To maintain the same level of work from the engine, thereby increasing performance, you do as you say need an aftermarket tune.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    Has anyone got any more opinions or stats on the hp tmic ??

Looking at the dyno graph on the other thread, not sure where the improvement is as all the lines bascially follow each other or is the dyno the wrong way to assess the benefit of this type of mod ??

Keen on getting one as they look great just want to know they work great too I guess !!

link to thread with dyno:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/hyper...-help-you.html
    I agree that a chassis dyno is not the best way to test a component that relies on airflow. Quarter mile MPH would probably be the best real-world test, but I'll be relying on the Dashhawk for my own comparison.

Although it seems quiet, there are things happening with the Hyperflow TMIC. Stay tuned........

Gone to Volvo

i concur that a FMIC should not really add to hp gain, but it seems contrary if you read on the FMIC thread where they say they gained peak power. I'm still skeptical that an intercooler would actually add the amount of power they claim (although dyno graph shows this).

an intercooler would have an impact on 'performance' in that it should aid in throttle response (for a TMIC) and spool time as it seems that the stock one is quite restrictive. I am still waiting to see the FMIC dyno figures with dump and air intake mods done as well which someone is hoping to have done soon.

The "power" increase comes from the cooling effect. Larger IC's (in particular FMIC's) give a power increase because they have a greater capacity to cool incoming air.

FMIC will normally have a larger capacity overall maening they have cool a larger volume of air which boosts engine efficiancy which we see and feel as an increase in power / torque.

Excessively large IC's generate "turbo lag" because the turbo hass to pressurise a large amount of air, which takes longer than it would on a smaller IC or no IC at all. IC's are a balancing act between a useful amount of cooling to the intake air charge verses the delay in actually delivering that boost. Hence the usual assumption that a tmic will have less leag than a fmic.

Evidence suggests that the factory tmic is an intake path restriction in that it does not freely flow large amounts of air. It's also vulnerable to heatsoak thanks to its top mounted location.

Perhaps the restrictive nature of the factory TMIC is why many people have reported (and dynod) only very small increases in turbo lag on these cars.

I think the heat soak issue needs to be put in context. Based on testing of the prototyp Hypeflow TMIC, this is what I found:

On average, the engine spends very little time actually making boost when driven on the road, and the constant airflow keeps the core temp low most of the time. When we first get on the boost, despite the fact we are now making hot air, the initial low temp of the IC core chills the intake air and the boost air temp (BAT) goes down instead of up. Therefore during initial acceleration, the IC acts as a heat sink .

If we stay on the boost for an extended period, the hot air from the turbo uses up the latent temperature defecit in the core and the core temp will rise causing a corresponding BAT rise. At this point the IC changes from being a heat sink to a heat exchanger and temps will climb until some point determined by the volume of cooling air through the core and the efficieny of the core as a heat exchanger.

The Hyperflow TMIC has a much larger area than the stocker to admit more cooling air. It does not use an extruded core like some other IC manufacturers do, so it's as efficient as a heat exchanger as you can get. It also has more mass (more thermal inertia) and will take longer to heat up, at the expene of taking longer to cool down. But I'm hoping to find that the enhanced cooling ability takes care of the cooling down issue.

A TMIC will heat soak if the car is stationary and there is no airflow through the core. But if the car is stationary, inlet air temp is largely irrelevant. The only time heat soak is an issue is when the engine is shut down and restarted shortly after, or when stuck in traffic on a very hot day. If I'm stuck in traffic I obviously don't care if I'm down on power. After all that testing I'm very comfortable with the decision to stay with a TMIC.

I'm also convinced there are further gains to be made from finding a low pressure source to suck more cooling air through the core.

Gone to Volvo

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Although it seems quiet, there are things happening with the Hyperflow TMIC. Stay tuned........
    what things ... they have been fairly quiet on here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast