User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2XS FMIC intercooler - dyno proven 22.4kw ATW gain over standard TMIC. Info inside.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    I'm based at the coast Kfunk, let me know if you want to have a look at the setup.
    Damm thats sweet. Yeah well I'm free on Tuesday or Wednesday? You free?

wow, i never knew that an intercooler could actually make power. thought they were more of a supporting mod.

any explanations why there is such a big improvement?

the biggest thing going from TMIC to FMIC would be throttle response, not so much turbo lag. But u say that driveability is the same which is excellant results. do you have photos of the piping route?

I'm with lup15; would be great to see some pics of the setup

Happy Motoring
    duglet

First post updated with all the graphs, thanks to Leah from Chiptorque for generating the comparison graphs for me today.

Thanks for the offer TallDan.

I was saving for a ChipTorque tune at the moment. Now I'm not so sure!

I think i will stick to my plan at the moment and save the coin, but I might take you up on the offer before I get the tune done.

It's interesting to see the boost is the same, just comes on earlier. Less lag?

AFR's look very similar, but, why does it has a slight difference in the middle?

Nice work Dan.

the boost graph pic seems to be broken.

is the stock top mount really that restrictive? thats the only thing i could think of to explain the power increase going from tmic to fmic... i doubt heatsoak would play much role on a dyno...

i still cant believe it even though the graphs are there lol

Boost comparison graph fixed

10. Default

Can you please update your first post with all of the cars performance mods? If there are any more as I assume the FMIC is the only one at 174kw.

What gains do you expect the FMIC to obtain with a modified car. Something running a TBE or even just an intake.

Thanks.

Can do Crusher, it's a very short mod list (only FMIC and Mazdaspeed CAI)...original post updated.

And yeah the numbers may seem lower than others, but the overall number doesn't matter, it's the increase that's of interest. The Chiptorque numbers are generally conservative compared to other dynos anyway, that comment is straight from Lachlans mouth.

The comparison in this instance is robust as the runs were on the same dyno, with the same operator, very similar atmospheric conditions and the only change was the FMIC. Should mean that the numbers are repeatable on other vehicles with similar mods, although how other mods affect the FMIC gains are unknown. Anyone care to add a TBE to my car and do before/afters with a FMIC?

Exhaust work is next on the agenda anyway, so we'll get some progress numbers with a dump pipe and see what difference that makes when added. Unfortunately I don't have the $$$ or time to individually dyno each part that is made for the benefit of everyone here. But hopefully the progressive dyno run updates as each component is added will be informative for everyone

Question for everyone/anyone. What if I added an aftermarket BPV/BOV to this setup and ran it again? Would it hold more boost? We only used the factory plastic one, and you can see it holds around 15.6-16psi as we know that's what it's rated to.
    Last edited by TD; 05-05-2010 at 08:52 AM.

12. Default

Good work.

I'm happy with the ETS TMIC but its best for everyone to know exactly what is on the car so they can make that informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    It's interesting to see the boost is the same, just comes on earlier. Less lag?

AFR's look very similar, but, why does it has a slight difference in the middle?

Nice work Dan.
    Not sure with the boost, it pretty much feels the same as before for where it comes in. AFR's...who knows. Looks similar enough for me to be comfortable with, as there are no drastic changes, and it's still running rich in the top end, which means that after all is said and done there will be room to lean it out a bit when tuned (as the last step).

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    Can you please update your first post with all of the cars performance mods? If there are any more as I assume the FMIC is the only one at 174kw.

What gains do you expect the FMIC to obtain with a modified car. Something running a TBE or even just an intake.

Thanks.
    IMO I would expect less gain if you have more mods.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Two misconceptions need to be dealt with here:

1. An aftermarket FMIC over the stock TMIC will not "add boost". It improves volumetric efficiency by reducing intake air temperature, hence increasing charge density. There is more "bang for your buck" in each lungful. That alone can make a significant difference. It can even feel like you've increased boost - which is not surprising as the objective behind boosting a car's induction (known as super-charging, whether by belt-driven or exhaust-driven compressor) is to improve charge density. QED!

2. A replacement BOV will not make a whit of difference if your existing one is working as designed. BOV's, even stock, don't normally "leak boost" as they run in pressure neutral mode. That said, an aftermarket BOV improves your options when tuning a modified engine to eliminate such things as backfire which might result from partial VTA setups.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

16. Default

Talldan.

Thats a much better first post.

2XS, any chance of clarifing what you would expect your FMIC to achieve on a modified car? Can you edit your first post? You can use my car if you choose.

My current posted dyno is with the stock TMIC, Cobb SRI, CES TBE and Xede. Mods that many members would look to have done.

Guys, I'm not making any claims as to anything other than what's in the first post. It was posted for people's info and interest only.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    The comparison in this instance is robust as the runs were on the same dyno, with the same operator, very similar atmospheric conditions and the only change was the FMIC. Should mean that the numbers are repeatable on other vehicles with similar mods, although how other mods affect the FMIC gains are unknown.
    In case anyone missed this comment above...

I'm hoping to do a twin DP Vs single "bellmouth" DP comparison too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    Talldan.

2XS, any chance of clarifing what you would expect your FMIC to achieve on a modified car? Can you edit your first post? You can use my car if you choose.

My current posted dyno is with the stock TMIC, Cobb SRI, CES TBE and Xede. Mods that many members would look to have done.
    My first post?

I will have a figure soon, we are fitting a DP to this particular car very soon.

Previously my figures (CES SRI, CES TBE, 2XS FMIC and 2XS manifold and flash tune)saw 203kw and 475nm, but only @ 16 psi. That may give some indication to figures, although difficult to compare to this FMIC.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I'm hoping to do a twin DP Vs single "bellmouth" DP comparison too.

My first post?

I will have a figure soon, we are fitting a DP to this particular car very soon.

Previously my figures (CES SRI, CES TBE, 2XS FMIC and 2XS manifold and flash tune)saw 203kw and 475nm, but only @ 16 psi. That may give some indication to figures, although difficult to compare to this FMIC.
    I thought you had posted 2nd. I didn't realise so many people got in before you.

Thanks for those details. I know cars are different but it just shows people what they can expect once the car is modified.

It will only be a few short weeks before we can all see what sort of gains can be had from 2XS products. With dyno sheets to prove it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast