User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 Airbox modifications- Review

Arrow MPS6 Airbox modifications- Review

Hi Everyone,

After some searching i found the so called 'airbox mod' for the Mazda 6 and MPS.

My 2000 WRX having a similar setup stock air-box and doing a similar thing to it and loving the results (removed in guard resonator, removed engine bay air duct, fitted K&N filter insert and inserted a 3" pipe from the airbox through the guard to just below the front bar indicator = a good ram intake + stock looking)
    i thought i would give this a go on the MPS as it could do with a better sound and a tad better fuel economy ()

So referring to the pictures attached, i took out the resonator located in the
    front left guard and the flat plastic box located in the air-box itself. (Refer to my other thread regarding where the hell the MPS picks its air up from?!?)

So far i this to report-

1. It sounds deeper, a bit more growly perhaps
    2. No nice turbo suck \ whistle \ induction sound as yet
    3. Maybe a tad more down low torque
    4. Seems to have picked up a few points in the fuel efficiency department too

Mind you i am running the stock air filter, and its quite dirty.
    Also noticed the AFM i very dirty also (i had a can of co cleaner but it was empty, not helpful lol)

the reason i am investigating in retaining the stock air-box is purely for warranty issues.

Next weekend = K&N Filter insert and CO Cleaner for the AFM.. I can guarantee once ive done that ill be a lot happier with my stock airbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9122167.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9122168.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1250  
    Last edited by nissanman; 13-09-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Good work mate, keep us posted on this. As I mentioned in the other post, I think one of us here could look into rigging up something for the CAI/SRI, might have to look into it for my CAI (when I get some time)

Next weekend if i get a bit time, i would like to get both bonnets up on my WRX and MPS to compare induction setups and perhaps where there is room for movement \ improvement for the MPS.

Thanks

MAF cleaning is done, (Couldnt wait till the weekend)
    Amazingly dirty, so much cleaner now. 58,000kms and its that black!!
    Pics below, (i put them into the MAF Cleaning How To thread also but hey )

Havnt driven the car yet,, hopefully fuel economy is better