User Tag List

Thread: My Exhaust Manifold Thread

Default My Exhaust Manifold Thread

Some of you may have noticed that I'm constantly modifying my 3. So This week I took some holidays to make a new turbo manifold.

Yes, I get a lot of rest. You can't rush these things. lol.

Friday: After work: Cut out flanges for turbo and head

Saturday: Removed the exhaust and old manifold. Went out shopping. Nothing else done.

Sunday: Rest day.

Monday: Cut up piping ready for turbo collector. Fitted flanges. Fabricated collector.

Tuesday: Fabricated 2 pipes for cylinders 3 + 4.

Wednesday: Rest day too. (kids school excursion)

I will post more pics and details in the next few days.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Blog Entries

WOW- looks like a great job...wish I could do that sort of stuff...

looks awesome! ive been checking out the US manifolds
    will keep watching

is there an art to the bends and twists in them ?? ha any method to the madness ??

There is an art to it yes, and the method is equal length, or as good as possible.

Todays update:

Fabricated the last 2 pipes for cylinders number 1+2, Faced flanges and trial fitted.

Tomorrow: Paint and fit.

Last edited by 2XS; 12-06-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

noice !!

have you run it yet ??

thats mad !!!!!

Nah, fitting tomorrow, then a sedate test drive on my "Private Road".

so what does the new manifold do for you ?? how much more power do you expect ??

also how many mods will you do before tune ??? is there risk with adding lots of bolt ons and no tune or flash?

2XS is a nutter no doubt!

...with all due respect sensei

haha... ive just been reading boom thread !! haha was just wondering...

Every mod I can, before a tune. I want to see how much power and how quick I can go before a tune (or a boom, hopefully not the latter) If I have to tune it, then, bring on the bigger turbo.

bolt ons for the win !!

That looks fabulous. Great job.

Todays update:

Painted, Fitted and Tested.

Guess what....

Its not that impessive, on its own, for just a manifold. Maybe if I had an exhaust, hmmmm.......*ponders next mod, then calls Nirvanadan for exhaust back*

Its got a note from the exhaust now (Std exhaust) It didn't beforehand. No burble that I can hear.

Power wise, it doesn't come on boost as aggressive, but, when it comes on, it comes on continuosly, revs out all the way. Revs out hard too. I think, by the looks of the tacho, that it revs to 7000 rpm (I don't understand it) I'm sure these cars redline at 6500 rpm.

Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Todays update:

Painted, Fitted and Tested.

Guess what....

Its not that impessive, on its own, for just a manifold. Maybe if I had an exhaust, hmmmm.......
    As I'm sure your aware, it's all about flow with turbo motors. While it may not feel too flash now, with an exhaust, it'll flow much better.
    That sort of manifold will also scavenge much better than the cast POS these cars come with.
    Again, very impressive. Well done.

Yes, but I have to be careful with flow. These motors don't respond well with opening everything up. Boost cuts, fuel cuts, CEL's etc. I've had all of them and I'm trying to mod the thing without geting any of those.

I will see how I go. Exhaust is coming in under a month.

ECU dude. Best thing you can do for your car. Without doubt the best I did with mine. Never had boost or fuel cut, ever.

I'm just trying to see what can be done without needing the tune.

If I need to get it tuned, then, I will fit my big turbo to it. It's all downhill from there.

loving your work mate
    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Power wise, it doesn't come on boost as aggressive, but, when it comes on, it comes on continuosly, revs out all the way. Revs out hard too. I think, by the looks of the tacho, that it revs to 7000 rpm (I don't understand it) I'm sure these cars redline at 6500 rpm.
    SP Bling on Ozmazda noticed the same thing on his SP23 when he replaced the stock intake manifold with the cosworth intake manifold (from memmory he peaked 7200rpm before he was getting fuel cut on the standard tune)
    Visa - Making Broke Mo-Fo's look like ballers since 1958
    Asking for forgivness is easier than asking for permission - Jesse James
    Wakefield - 1:23.9 (natsoft)
    Winton - 1:55.3 (natsoft)