User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next mod - TMIC suggestions please ?

I'd like to add to Oldheads comments about intercooler design. There are many complex objectives and compromises that must be balanced when designing or choosing a TMIC. Some manufacturers simply cram the largest core into the available space and don't give sufficient thought to airflow around and through the core. To get this part of the design right you need to consider the the entire aerodynamic situation at the front of the car. Air flows across pressure gradients which don't necessarily flow from front to back and an air scoop wont flow any air unless there is a corresponding outlet.

I was involved in development of the Hyperflow TMIC and at one point in the development a significant decision was made to reduce the size of the core because we found a larger core simply blocked the exit path for the ducted airflow, so while the bigger core had less pressure drop internally, it had poor cooling. We also found the larger core had more thermal inertia which means that it would take longer to become heat soaked, but when it did it would take longer to cool down. For a street car a slightly smaller core made more sense.

Another thing to consider is the internal design. Cheap intercoolers use extruded tubes which have a lot less surface area for exchanging heat compared to finned tubes. Hyperflow use the best quality tubes which are sourced from the US because they're not available from anywhere else.

In a nutshell, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by kmh001; 29-06-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Tube and fin cores can be just as efficient in terms of heat exchange as bar and plate. the advantage tube and fin has is much less pressure drop. But to get the best of both worlds, there's an enormous price penalty, hence why the top end cores like HKS and ARC cost so much.

unfortunately we dont have too many options for a good tube and fin tmic besides the autoexe one (ARC core). So basically we're left with bar and plate. most bar and plate designs will be similar in terms of performance for the same size. as we dont have a lot of room under the hood, there will be very little difference between the brands (of same size).

As mentioned above, simply putting the largest core possible is not the best method.

I myself will be getting a Corksport one because:
    - stock shroud fits
    - core is of reasonable size
    - doesnt have 'extra' parts (unlike CPE which uses bolts on the mounting pts...)
    - excellent price

Also recommend the CP-e tmic... I run one on my six and its great. Completely cool to touch after a good drive.

Was told Autoexe is the best but price not justified. Out of Corksports, CPe, ETS the CPe is better.

Hyperflow they didnt know about as its Aussie i guess lol.

Autoexe gear is well built but way too expensive.. The ETS and CPe are pretty much identicle but the CPe is the chepeast of the lot.
    Corksports is a little smaller I think, fits under stock shroud, whereas CPe and ETS are 3.25", slightly more flow.

I've decided I'm keen on the CP-e TMIC, but one supplier in the USA won't ship to me because CP-e won't let them ?

Is this because a certain australian garage is the sole distributor in oz ? What gives ?!

Edit: just had a look at the shipping costs. Even though the CPe sells for $399, once shipped its only $50 less than MPSG.
    Last edited by naasif; 07-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Forum sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    just had a look at the shipping costs. Even though the CPe sells for $399, once shipped its only $50 less than MPSG.
    But at least you'll get it in a timely fashion

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Only $50 more? Hmmm tempting.

IF i was to go a TMIC, I would probably look at the Corksport these days,
    I think the best design is the Hyperflow, but at almost double the price its kind of hard to justify, I was about to get the Hyperflow a few months back, but after some research and seeing what one of my friends one looked like after spending some time on the car i was dissapointed. The mounting brackets on the HF TMIC have cracked on a few of their TMIC that i know of, and i have seen the rubber seal perish from where it rubs on the bonnet. I think its a great design, but maybe needs a revision from what Ive seen on a couple that are under a year old.
    I actually also like the CP-E one but i just think the shroud looks kinda cheap. It has nice CNC machined mounting brackets that wont break too, my only dislike is the shroud for the CP-E.
    Then there is the corksport one, still a large upgrade to the factory core size and with a small trim fits under the shroud.

All of this led me to go a totally different path for my intercooler upgrade....

10. Default

corksports all the way

Check out the street unit core. They have no standing supplier agreements so no issue with postage - and it's also the cheapest core - ive got a spreadsheet at work with all the price+postage break downs.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Check out the street unit core. They have no standing supplier agreements so no issue with postage - and it's also the cheapest core - ive got a spreadsheet at work with all the price+postage break downs.
    Yep, I've just been these past few days (now that I'm back from my extended holiday).

It looks good..just have to compare to CP-e in more detail.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

FYI:

[TR]
    [TD]Brand[/TD]
    [TD]Price[/TD]
    [TD]Postage[/TD]
    [TD]TOTAL[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Street Unit[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$395[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$147[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$542[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]ETS[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$565[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$147[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$712[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Corksport [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$460[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$126[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$586[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]CP-e[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$399[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]

@naasif, here's some pics of my Corksport TMIC.
    I can highly recommend this! Been running it a while now.
    I purchased direct from CS with accompanying Boost Tubes. (great service and a lot cheaper than you know who).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS v Stock.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	11842
    Size comparo

Name:	Fitted - No shroud.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	11843
    Fitted before shroud

Name:	Crappy night pic.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	11844

And crappy night pic..

Good luck with the research and future purchase!

awesome, good to see someone with a corksport tmic! hopefully get mine in the next few weeks before the weather heats up again

@MPSed - looks neat as - price delivered??

Quote Originally Posted by MPSed View Post
    @naasif, here's some pics of my Corksport TMIC.
    I can highly recommend this! Been running it a while now.
    I purchased direct from CS with accompanying Boost Tubes. (great service and a lot cheaper than you know who).

Name:	CS v Stock.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	11842
    Size comparo

Name:	Fitted - No shroud.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	11843
    Fitted before shroud

Name:	Crappy night pic.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	11844

And crappy night pic..

Good luck with the research and future purchase!
    did you have to trim the shroud like the documentation says to do to make it fit ?

did it come with the boost tubes or did you have to add that to the purchase ?

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

SO many decisions

I think now maybe I'm leaning towards the Corksport...given my sig says 'Trying to keep it subtle' and I like the way the corksport TMIC fits under the existing shroud.
    Last edited by naasif; 03-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

@SMOKEY - Thanks mate. Delivered with boost tubes was just over $550. Reasonable in my eyes.
    @naasif - The Boost tubes were an additional cost. $69 from memory.
    As for trimming the shroud.. I looked at it and decided not to. It really doesn't bend the fins as bad as some others i've seen and since it doesn't affect air flow at all, I left it as is.. It's more a visual thing.
    You do have to get some washers for the shroud screws though as the stock screws won't hold the shroud down and when i used the CS supplied screws, they JUST held on..
    For my own satisfaction i used a couple of washers with the CS screws an the shroud is held down much more firmly.

19. Default

whats the difference like with the CS TMIC installed? Do you have any butt dyno data?

Anyone have any corksport discount codes ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast