User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Sri to get??

1. Default

Fujita CAI - I think i am the only one running that though. Cant find anything wrong with it and ive never hydro locked or anything.

Keep in mind if you want to get a Cobb accessport in the future it's best to get an intake that is supported in their off the shelf maps.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Keep in mind if you want to get a Cobb accessport in the future it's best to get an intake that is supported in their off the shelf maps.
    You can match your intake internal diameter to one of the ots maps.
    I'm running a pg sir which is equal to the corksport

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

4. Default

True but i doesnt matter if you are getting a custom tune or you can do what @Jmac mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    True but i doesnt matter if you are getting a custom tune or you can do what @Jmac mentioned.

errr yep.

Anything is possible if you want to spend energy disputing sound advice.

Maybe i read between the lines, but he seems to be early on in his mod path - and given that it's a fairly well beaten track by now, i'm just giving him the advice that might save him complications down the track.

Most people due intake + ecu + fuel pump + exhaust mods in that order. Given that the accessport is the most flexible and arguably cheapest solution, it's more than likely going to be a consideration for him. He'll save a lot of stuffing around and paying for e-tunes or custom tunes by going a known off the shelf intake.

OP, with that said, 2XS maps are supported on Cobb AP so if you like the look of those then I think it's a sound decision.

I still think you want to look Short Ram Intake (SRI) and Turbo Inlet Hose/Pipe (TIH) setups over a CAI though.

Beyond that i'd still stick to brand name solutions - Cobb, Corksport, Sure, CPe - you get a product that fits and a product that works. Tred and trued.

Do you want to run an airbox? If so you'll want to go with Cobb, Corksport or 2XS as the others aren't supported. Sure is working on their 'Chillbox' but it seems to have stalled.

I don't think there is really a great deal of difference between any of them, other than those which true 3" hoses - but I don't like the idea of shifting the ECU wiring loom so I'd steer clear of those.

Hopefully that helps.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 29-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robmps View Post
    Installed the corksport stageII full SRI & Box today! As my first mod on 2012 mps3 car hasn't even done a thousand k's yet! Great intake sound and responsiveness! Attachment 11384Attachment 11385Attachment 11386
    Looks the goods Rob!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

TBH, im not entirely sure how much of a difference the airboxes make... but they do stop mr plod from giving you a ~$150 fine

Personally I dislike my Corksport Airbox - it causes the intake to make some weird a$$ chuffing noises when the BOV dumps, and on intake it sounds like holding your ear to a sea-shell rather than a nice sharp turbo intake whistle i've had on other cars - but it does keep things legal and being in Vic and the areas which i drive around it's a wise move.

And it does keep things cool. I spend a lot of time in traffic and the heat soak really does blunt performance when running an unenclosed pod - i used to swap back and forwards between the factory airbox and a HKS pod on my stagea - pod because it sounded awesome, factory airbox because it went better and used less fuel. I couldnt ignore the difference, the airbox was much better in everyway other than sound. No lie.

On the MPS, I pulled my car over to a servo this morning after an hour in stop/start traffic to inspect a boost leak (was the blanking plug on the BOV) and put my hand on the airbox - ice cold. Hand on the intake hose - ice cold. Everything else was toasty warm - so i'm convinced it works.

In summary - i wouldnt run a pod without a box unless you're a poser.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 29-06-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Cobb SRI, Cobb TIP, Cobb AP
    Get into it.

i get away with out the box in vic atm cause i got nsw plates (soon to be vic) they cant check them and dont bother to hand out those evil yellow stickers cause as soon as i cross the boarder its null and void Z, south australia is the best place to register your car as you can pretty much pull a car out of the paddock get it started and register it and your right till the cop's pull you over and tell you to get a roadworthy

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

but i am getting the cs box soon just waiting on them to get some in stock
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

I run the SURE full intake (tip/sri in one) with the corksport airbox and its fantastic. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever in sound when I added the airbox.. If anything its louder. If you are in VIC you will want an airbox.

Yea Ur right, I'm very early in my mod path, I was thinking of a corksport stage 2 intake, fmic, Cobb turbo back (as the YouTube ad I saw for it with the white MPS in it sounds amazing) then save some more and finished basic mods with a custom tune. That should sit me at about 200-210fwks from what I've been told.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

To anyone with a corksport - take your filter off and check your air straightening guide is still in place. Just removed my filter to replace a globe and found the plastic air guide just floating around freely in the pod. Might explain the weird hesitations I've been experiencing lately.

Looks like they tack it in there with some superglue in 3 small spots - not very good!!

14. Default

Theres been a lot of that happening over a the last couple of years reading the Mazda Speed forums re straightners falling off, CorkSport know about it but apprantley advise people to add extra silicone. so basically selling a product with known issue but expect the buyer to apply a fix before installing from the way i read it.

To anyone with a corksport - take your filter off and check your air straightening guide is still in place. Just removed my filter to replace a globe and found the plastic air guide just floating around freely in the pod. Might explain the weird hesitations I've been experiencing lately.

Looks like they tack it in there with some superglue in 3 small spots - not very good!!
    Did the tacking it in with superglue thing for both my Mazdaspeed CAI and Corksport SRI air straighteners. Really not that much of a problem, gives you the option of having it in there or not. Sometimes you might not want it, depending on tune+setup.

16. Default

I've got the CPE SRI, looking forward to installing it

The reason that we only put the little amount of adhesive on the air straightener is that we want to allow our customers to be able to choose which way they want to run (with or without). In the installation instructions it should have stated that during out testing, we were able to get better power gains without using the straightener, and we usually suggest running without the unit, but include it as an option.

-Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by TylerAtCorkSport View Post
    The reason that we only put the little amount of adhesive on the air straightener is that we want to allow our customers to be able to choose which way they want to run (with or without). In the installation instructions it should have stated that during out testing, we were able to get better power gains without using the straightener, and we usually suggest running without the unit, but include it as an option.

-Tyler

Thanks Tyler - It wasn't a big issue for me - but my car had been running like balls lately - it used to light up the front tyres in second gear and it had stopped doing that and was running rough but ever so slightly so i didn't really think much of it. I thought the culprit could easily have been a gummy BOV. Anyway I put the straightenr back in with some gasket sealer (and stock BOV on while i service the turbosmart) and it's running a lot nicer and lights the tires up like a demon now.

EDIT: did my own reading - it appears I will be taking my air straightener OUT - for better low end power gains - seems as though it's really only beneficial in very cold climates or if doing custom tuning.

My car was exhibiting identical symptoms to other people who suffered the same fate - random stalling at low but constant throttle/ low RPM situations - i'd be driving home in peak hour traffic and accelerating away from the lights at 2,500rpm (-14psi vacc) and it would just lose ALL power until i got off throttle and back on it. I thought the BOV was getting stuck open - but obviously it was the air guide sucking up into the intake path, getting lodged sideways and blocking it off.

This makes me happy as I was feeling very uneasy about the RTV sealant i used coming loose and being ingested by the turbo. It also makes me annoyed that I didnt read that in the instructions - my bad.

So now my advice is.....if you have a corksport SRI take the air straightener OUT! haha

amiright, tyler?
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 09-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Smokey, youareright

You said it better than I could myself. It's is best to run without the piece on there, but some people want to run it because they feel they will get better results.

Is this the case with air straighteners in general for other SRIs? Im interested to see if it really makes a difference removing it on the SURE for example...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast