User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE - Muffers - MAGNAFLOW?

1. Default ADVICE - Muffers - MAGNAFLOW?

Hi All,

Anyone had any experience or currently have a Magnaflow muffler?

I have read through a few threads, and the Magnaflow muffler seems to be a great swap over standard muffler. (I am simply after a better sound/note, love the deep WRX sounding type exhausts I have heard of a few MPS's)

I had previously removed the rear resonator (which did nothing), at the time the exhaust shop said, the standard cat-back piping is adequate, so for a bit more sound to just replace the muffler?

PS was looking at buying muffler myself, and having mate install, would it be the centre/centre, and oval or round, muffler to get?

Anyway options are welcome, cheers.
    Glenn
    Last edited by cargle; 01-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.

The magnaflow CBE for the MPS Gen 2. sounds pretty nice….had a nice wrx like note to it….

if you have a gen 1 just remove the muffler no need to replace it with another

4. Default

Yeah I have Gen 1, was thinking of just removing muffler, but dont want it too loud, and would like to prevent as much 'drone' as possible.

Hi mate, can't tell if you're GENI or GENII, but I'm using a Magnaflow muffler with a custom 3" system. It's sounds awesome, pretty nice sound around town but barks nicely when you're into it. Some members here can attest to it. I had to install a resonator to manage the drone though.

If you have a DP (and only 1 cat) you need to replace the centre muffler.

If you have a std DP, remove the ccentre muffler only and fit a straight through style resonator.

Magnaflow is by far one of the better brands. My old MPS had a Magnaflow muffler fitted.

i run 2 lukey straight through muff's and 1 offset straight through with euro 4/5 cat all 3'.... on cold start its loud!!! cruise its ssoooo good, can hardly hear it until u hear the turbo at 3000rpm than it comes to life

what is drone? and i want my 6 mps to be louder, and if removing the mufflers can do this then I want to do it

I have a magnaflow fitted to mine, they are a great muffler and well worth the money.

My exhaust comprises of a 3" DP with a 100cel cat, a 3" mandrel bent stainless system with a magnaflow straight through style muffler, which then tapers down to the stock 2.5 small resonator & tailpipe (to keep noise levels sensible)

As far as the sound goes, it is not unbearably loud, and has fairly minimal drone, you can still have a conversation with passengers with the windows up, windows down and it is a bit louder, sounds good in cabin either way.

The note, sounds like a WRX & EVO have made babies, it has the WRX throb, with a bit of that nice EVO raspy bark mixed in.

I have uploaded some pics from the Best Mufflers site so you can see the system, not very exciting though, some 3" tube with a muffler jammed in the middle, and a sound clip I grabbed on the weekend of mine free revving in the driveway.
    As with any good exhaust it sounds much better under load, although you should still get a rough idea of the sound.

NOTE: If you download the sound clip you need to change the file extension from .pdf to .mp3 ( I had to fool the forum software in order to allow me to upload a file of that size, and PDF was the only format that would support that size)

magnaflow.pdf

Last edited by MattMPS3; 04-07-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

10. Default

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies, my car is a 2007 MPS 3.

My exhaust is stock besides having the rear most resonator removed, I was going to order a complete cat-back system, however exhaust shop mentioned the stock piping is more than adequate which let me to just changing the muffler, but as some of you have mentioned may just remove the muffler then and replace with a straight through pipe or a resonator?

Going to speak to Willetton exhaust (as they use Magnaflow mufflers) this week and see what they recommend

Matt thanks for the pictures and sound file, at work at the moment, so will listen once I get home, Cheers again.

Glenn

I had my muffler removed. No drone, just proper exhaust noise. I had a turbo car racer say that's how a turbo 4 should sound.
    BTW I have a DP and 100CEL cat

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I have a magnaflow fitted to mine, they are a great muffler and well worth the money.

My exhaust comprises of a 3" DP with a 100cel cat, a 3" mandrel bent stainless system with a magnaflow straight through style muffler, which then tapers down to the stock 2.5 small resonator & tailpipe (to keep noise levels sensible)

As far as the sound goes, it is not unbearably loud, and has fairly minimal drone, you can still have a conversation with passengers with the windows up, windows down and it is a bit louder, sounds good in cabin either way.

The note, sounds like a WRX & EVO have made babies, it has the WRX throb, with a bit of that nice EVO raspy bark mixed in.

I have uploaded some pics from the Best Mufflers site so you can see the system, not very exciting though, some 3" tube with a muffler jammed in the middle, and a sound clip I grabbed on the weekend of mine free revving in the driveway.
    As with any good exhaust it sounds much better under load, although you should still get a rough idea of the sound.

NOTE: If you download the sound clip you need to change the file extension from .pdf to .mp3 ( I had to fool the forum software in order to allow me to upload a file of that size, and PDF was the only format that would support that size)

magnaflow.pdf

You don't seem to have the middle chassis brace on, was it just for this photo?

Not my car in the pics, but, yes chassis brace is removed during fitting of exhaust.

Im after the same setup/sound that your after. I would love to hear the end result from what ever you go with.

This is the heart of my system:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12267.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	9021

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

...and this is what the car sounds like...

Firstly at a cold start, then some suburb cruising, then some classic South East Queensland Quality roads all mixed in with some spirited driving...You'll notice another spirited driver in front...Points for guessing :P

http://youtu.be/E7YThZgfuVs
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Firstly at a cold start, then some suburb cruising, then some classic South East Queensland Quality roads all mixed in with some spirited driving...You'll notice another spirited driver in front...Points for guessing :P

BRAD's CAR = AMAZING SOUND for gen 2... WOW! Gotta hear this in the flesh. Mine blows flames though... lol
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Sounds great Brad. Any clips with full noise WOT up near the top of the rev band?

I know your dyno day footage has some but it's not too clear

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

There is, but the audio cracks like a MF, the mic is being wiped out by the full noise.

I thought it a bit embarrassing to post bad audio

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post

Is all you have the magnaflow muffler?

DP, 200 cell cat, little resonator and the Magnaflow muffler. Would have been killer drone without the resonator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast