User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbosmart dual port bov flutterdump??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post
    I don't even own a turbo car yet and can tell you that having any amount of flutter is bad for your car.
    Well aren't you special!
    *compressor surge

2. Default

Well arent we mature?
    So if you know it's bad... Why make it a goal to get it?
    All it would have taken is a simple explanation rather than a smart arse response...
    For example "I'm a show pony who wants the looks rather than the performance"

Which I don't have a problem with. As long as the other people who read this thread who thinks it is cool understand that by doing it they are running a risk.
    Last edited by Tiptoe; 16-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Who's making it a goal to get the flutter?

4. Default

Did u read the thread. Ppl saying it's cool and trying to find different spring pressures and other variables to achieve it...

Tiptoe; it'd be great if you could explain why flutter dump is bad. I have heard that it is. Could you elaborate?
    Last edited by 03blk; 16-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.

6. Default

It's compressor surge.
    Causes excessive stress on the turbo and cab lead to excessive wear on thrust bearings. Meaning a turbo rebuild a lot sooner than it should be.

The whole idea of a blow off valve is to stop this from happening...not add to the joy by allowing you to hear it happen.

As I said before I don't have a problem with people who want this effect but they should atleast be educated on what is actually happening.

7. Default

Also causes a slight amount of turbo lag.

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    Tiptoe; it'd be great if you could explain why flutter dump is bad. I have heard that it is. Could you elaborate?
    Relax guys were just having abit of fun .

Anyway heres the explination:
    upon closure of the throttle plate, the boost pressure is required to be removed via by recirculation into the exhaust gases (aswell as escaping throughout he intake) or venting to atmosphere. Compressor surge aka flutter is "bad" because instead of the excess boost being removed, it is being pushed through the compressour housing of the turbo in the opposite direction of natural rotation, resulting in the chirping sound as the air passes through the blades. This is bad because it puts the shaft and bearings of the turbo under mass mechanical stress hence shortening the life of the turbo aswell as causing the turbo to slow down meaning that it needs more time to spool back up again the next time the throttle plate is opened up. Again this is very very bad at high boost levels since more boost = more stress with higher pitched chirps.

Some people like the noise and want to take risks, or (what I'm doing) do it in a subtle way, and let the flutter happen at insignificant boost levels (sub 5psi) using varying spring tentions of BOV and above these boost levels it safely vents to atmosphere

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

10. Default

Lol I know you're just having fun.
    Pick on guy with low post count.
    Understandable. Lol

I should probably make a thread introducing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post
    Lol I know you're just having fun.
    Pick on guy with low post count.
    Understandable. Lol

I should probably make a thread introducing myself.
    No wasn't picking on you coz you had a low post count, it was the way you said "even I know this and I don't even own a turbo" i know you probably didn't even realize but where not idiots here

But yes, do make an introduction thread mate good way to meet the community and vice versa!

12. Default

Didn't mean to insult.
    Just don't want people screwing their turbo due to misinformation

So the tighter the spring the more chance of flutter?

hmmm been reading through this thread..will post a video i took tonight abit later to see if what i have is bad or not. Started with more of a flutter since i put the FMIC on mated witht eh GFB hybrid BOV running at full recirc.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Heres the video. Is this sound bad or am i stressing over nothing.

Anyone know??????

oh I need to take a video of mine then, that to me sounds pretty normal, how hard you got it set to ?

That's normal STEALTH_MPS

the little nozzle thing u turn sits flush with the top of the bov

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    the little nozzle thing u turn sits flush with the top of the bov
    Umm... more specific please lol

the small silver part in the middle of the top sits flush with the rest of the top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113231015.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	9530

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast