User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6MPS custom bicycle carrier

Default 6MPS custom bicycle carrier

Hi guys & girls, thought I'd share this with you in case anyone else is in the same situation. Recently I've been getting into cycling and while riding around my local area is fine I thought it would be nice to have the option to throw the bike in the car and take it for a ride around the river. For most people this isn't an issue but with my 6MPS getting the bike to fit in the boot involves removing carpet and structural bracing so I can fold the seats down and fit the bike through. I've looked as some of the other options (that don't require a tow bar) like roof rack mounted bike or the strap on types but wasn't too keen to have hooks attaching to my boot lid and possibly damaging the paint so I decided to come up with a different approach. So one lunch time at work I took a few measurements and made a quick drawing and here's what I got

Its a fairly basic frame that bolts directly to the 2x M20 ferrules behind the rear bumper and allows me to use a standard tow ball mounted bike rack. Install takes about 2 min and can be completely removed just as fast. Boot can still be opened even while bikes are on the rack. I've jumped up and down on it a few times and its very sold. Not sure what the ferrules are rated for but if you can use it to tow the car I'm sure it can support a bike.

bike rack Layout1 (1).pdf <--- click here for better quality
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 29-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.

I've used the Rola bike rack on roof racks, my bike also fits into the boot with both wheels removed, but your invention is bloody brilliant. I reckon you ought to patent it before someone copies it and puts it into production.

Thanks Mal. I'm not a fan of removing the rear wheel all the time as i tend to get covered in grease

I didn't think there would be a big enough market for this product seems it only fits on the 6MPS so i'm not planning to sell them.

4. Default

Looks great, top effort

The only thing that bugs me about this car is I wish it was more practical for things like that, if it was a hatch 6 would have been super perfect

Looks pretty good as a solution to transporting a bicycle. I guess what I like the most is that you can add/remove easy enough otherwise it looks bad if it were permanently installed especially on such a nice sports car

Awesome work mate, moved to how to's

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Looks pretty good as a solution to transporting a bicycle. I guess what I like the most is that you can add/remove easy enough otherwise it looks bad if it were permanently installed especially on such a nice sports car
    Totally agree. You wont catch me driving around with a bike rack and no bike... even though it does block the rear number plate from speed cameras

I run roof mounted on my 3, they are very good.

Good work on the hitch.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Totally agree. You wont catch me driving around with a bike rack and no bike... even though it does block the rear number plate from speed cameras
    Technically its not legal if you can't see the plate...

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Good work on the hitch.

andy's roof racks ftw
    it wouldnt be his car if it didnt have them
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Good work on the hitch.

I thought about this option because i already have a set of roof racks but knowing me i'd probably drop the bike on the roof
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 28-03-2011 at 11:18 AM.

..Or you would forget about the bike on the roof and drive in the garage

that too

So then no bike racks are legal since they all cover the number plate

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    that too

So then no bike racks are legal since they all cover the number plate
    It's an argument to be had hey! Correct, most if not all cover the plate

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

15. Default

I think your supposed to attach a little bike rack numberplate to your bikerack, I never do though ... cant hurt to have the numberplate hidden for a short burst

In NSW you're supposed to buy a special bike rack number plate. Do they have them in WA?

never seen anything like that before. 90% of the speed cameras i see are facing the front of the car so they probably dont care because they're not losing too much money from it

18. Default

15/10 for effort!

Open to CC? I reckon two nuts/bolts where the rack meets the mount would cause less movement. It looks as if the one bolt allows for some pivoting movement if not tightened properly? (I'm a pedantic man. I'd curse A LOT if I scratched my paint) Nonetheless, great set-up mate. Hope you don't mind, but I might use this as a base to make my own bicycle carrier. I don't fancy roof racks..

Thanks mate. I agree that 2 bolts where the rack attaches to the mount would be far better but as all bike racks including the one I already had only come with the single hole for tow ball attachment i decided to keep it standard. Trust me after I tightened that bolt there was no way the rack was going to move

Have no issues with people making similar designs. If I remember tomorrow i'll put a copy of the fabrication drawing with material list in my first post

I like it
    I think you could sell a few of these on here and ebay! My mate has just got in to bike riding and I have been thinking about joining him, but having an MPS6 and no way to get the bike to his place has held me back.
    Reconsider producing them, great opportunity for some pocket money IMO

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laser beam View Post
    15/10 for effort!

Open to CC? I reckon two nuts/bolts where the rack meets the mount would cause less movement. It looks as if the one bolt allows for some pivoting movement if not tightened properly? (I'm a pedantic man. I'd curse A LOT if I scratched my paint) Nonetheless, great set-up mate. Hope you don't mind, but I might use this as a base to make my own bicycle carrier. I don't fancy roof racks..
    Do you mean one bolt holding up the stand or only one side holding the mount? I read it as you would worry only having one side bolted in and it would move if it was not correctly tightened, the mount is bolted in on each side of the bumper so it cant move

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast