User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plasti dip your wheels and badges

I have found the cost to be closer to $60 a rim. (Sandblasted and powdercoated, no repairs)

However, I do agree with the reversible part. I guess it depends if people want the option of being able to turn it back to stock.

Put me down for 4rims worth of white if you can get it ??

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers

I may speak alone but once my wheels went black I was sure they were staying black, not sure why you would want to reverse it, unless selling and putting back to stock? but still I reckon black rims look better IMO. Whoever buys my car, gets it as is...they can change it if they like. So in my case I had the rims permanently painted, also does this stuff bubble under heat/moisture? How about stone chips or light scratches? As far as the badges perhaps its a smart idea but I knew I wanted to paint the badges so again confident with it being permanent (also didn't want black). Probably cheaper to paint them with normal paint compared to some of the pricing feedback you guys have suggested, interesting thread and concept though.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

4. Default

well on the can it says
    -Flexible
    wont crack, chip, or become brittle.
    -Durable
    Resists weather, chemicals, impact, and abrasion.

people use these to remake their tool handle grips so i guess it would withstand wear and tear...

Distributors of Plasti Dip (plastidip) Performix range of products in Australia

maybe you can find one near you.

regarding heat resistance im sure the american guy on the first vid says in one of his other videos he did the brake callipers and some of the engine parts with plasti dip as well. so i if that is true must be ok for a couple hundred degrees????
    if you get a chance catch his other videos as well. he is a special one. i hope i said that nicely.......
    regarding colour i was thinking red. but very unsure as not seen this before on stock mps rim. thats why i was happy about reversibility.
    would need 1 gallon i reckon and gravity fed spray gun according to msds.
    another rip off.
    1 gallon
    $69 u.s.
    $300 + here.
    surely not being in aerosol form freight wouldnt be an issue even if it came on a very slow boat.
    spoke to melbourne distributor was very shocked to hear of $5 max u.s price on spray can.
    joked about going halves in a container as he isnt even getting it for that from importer.
    he sells it here for $50 per can.

rogwick once you went black there was no going back. and i wouldnt either.
    your ride is niiiccceeee.
    would do it all the same as yours in a heart beat. was actually the reason a picked up a white one.
    but i feel a bit funny about copying yours as yours was your original idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    your ride is niiiccceeee.
    would do it all the same as yours in a heart beat. was actually the reason a picked up a white one.
    but i feel a bit funny about copying yours as yours was your original idea.
    Go ahead if that's what you want mate. I'm happy with my car, there's no reason why you can't mod yours even if it looks similar to mine. At the end of the day its your car to do what you want.
    One thing...if you copy ANY mods that are similar to mine...swing me an email and post it so I can check it out!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I may speak alone but once my wheels went black I was sure they were staying black, not sure why you would want to reverse it, unless selling and putting back to stock?
    Well I'm planning on changing colors as I change Tyres ( I'm a bit of a weird like that ) and with the color mix 'kit' the ridiculous wheel colors are endless.... And I it ever looks too stupid , peel it off and run black again for a while ??

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

8. Default

i finally did this last night and man this stuff is pretty good. looks awesome the only hard part was waiting for it to dry and peeling the plasti dip off in between letters but it was pretty fun.
    3 coats 15 mins in between each coat and when it dry after an hour
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	9057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	9054

Name:	126.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	9055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	129.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	9056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9058

9. Default

here is the whole back and pics up close to see the texture it gives. You can see that it doesnt harm the paint even the dirt is still stuck in between then emblems.

Name:	145.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	9059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	9060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	137.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	9061

Quote Originally Posted by markeymagz View Post
    here is the whole back and pics up close to see the texture it gives. You can see that it doesnt harm the paint even the dirt is still stuck in between then emblems.

Name:	145.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	9059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	9060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	137.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	9061
    +1
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

i'm interested to get some to spray my rear valance.. ... anyone can get this easily in Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by ra2o View Post
    i'm interested to get some to spray my rear valance.. ... anyone can get this easily in Melbourne?
    Was thinking a similar thing myself mate

But unless it could be sourced ultra cheap locally, I'll probably end up going with vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

OMG.. just called one reseller in melbourne and it cost 49 bux per can!!...

caffaine friend: can viny withstand the exhaust heat though?

A number of people have done vinyl application to the rear valance of 3MPS Gen II's (same as my car) without any issue as far as I'm aware. Using the right automotive type vinyl should be fine provided the exhaust isn't physically touching it. I guess professional installation would help too

Hi guys, I have done my rear bumper this arvo. Looks nice!! Should have come like that from factory!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315044665.711541.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	9536  
    Last edited by ra2o; 03-09-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Looks good mate.

How many cans did it take and how many coats did you put on?

I use 1 can n still left like 10 percent in the bottle.. 4-5 layers.. Easy!!

Looks very cool. Matt finish is a nice contrast.

1 can, ok, better than I thought.

Nice! Where'd you end up buying it from and can I ask how much?

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 03-09-2011 at 08:59 PM.

20. Default

looks nice.....mine is still holding up even pressure washed it and no effect.
    how did you get a perfect line because when i sprayed mine it was also pulling off with the masking tape..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast