User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Rim Specifications to go with

Default Which Rim Specifications to go with

Hi there, I am going to replace my stock 6MPS rims and have a few to choose from. Does anyone know much about whether it is better to go for a smaller width with lower offset or the other way round. Wheels I am considering to run with 225/45 Dunlop Direzzas:

Enkei Imola
    Size:
    18x8
    Offset:
    +50mm
    Backspacing:
    6.41"
    Bolt Pattern:
    5-114

O.Z. Racing Alleggerita HLT
    Size: 18x7
    Offset:
    50mm
    Backspacing:
    5.98"
    Bolt Pattern:
    5-114

Lavinhard Fin7
    Size: 18x7.5
    Offset:
    45mm

Your opinions on these wheels would be great, the car has standard suspension right now but I may lower an inch at some stage soon.

Go with lower offset - under +40 will look good. Shouldn't have any issues fitting the Dunlop tyres. Depending on how low you want to go, you may have to lip your guards.
    The Lavinhard Fin7 rims will look good on a MPS 6. Better than the Enkei!

3. Default

Id go Lavinhard Fin7 with 235/40/18 tyres as you get heaps more options for pricing in this size

Blog Entries

Don't go offsets below 40 as suggested in another post - it's illegal.
    The sizes and offsets you have on hand are good fitments.
    I like the enkei imola, myself.
    Lavinhard look OK, but 18x8+50 is more flexible in terms of fitting a wide variety of tires.
    18x7.5 means 235/40R18 are frequently not a warrantable fitment. It's borderline, but it's a consideration.

18x7 you can fit 215/45, 225/45
    18x7.5 you can fit 215/45, 225/45, 225/40
    18x8 you can fit anything from stock 215/45, 225/45, 225/40, 235/40

The Lavinhard with 225/45 or 225/40 will get a more aggressive look to your vehicle without looking like a dickhead who's asking for a defect ticket. You can fit a small number of 235/40R18 to them but strictly speaking your options arevery limited due to fitment specs. Most 235/40R18 on 18x7.5 are unwarrantable. 18x8 better for that tyre size.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

+1 for what the king and queen of MPS wheels said.

-1,000,000 for any suggestions of +40 or lower offset suggestion.
    Not going to get into the looks vs safety or fact vs opinion argument again. Totally over it.

Got shot down!

I will be running 18X8.5 +38 with 225/45 on my MPS 6 soon.

Well, I guess it's up to personal preferences again.

I vote Oz Racing Alleggerita's in an 18x8 +35 to +38 option! The Enkei's look crap!! Not fussed on the Lavinfail.

Thanks all for your opinions some valid points. Will post pictures once the new wheels are fitted!

Can't wait to see your choice and what it looks like.

To answer your width vs offset question.
    Simply, low offset, can look better, though its a matter of opinion. And that is the only benefit.
    Low offsets, less than +40, are illegal in most, if not all states of Australia.
    Correct aka original offset is safer as low offsets will cause premature failure to driveshafts and wheel bearings, there is less weight on the suspension (geometry thing).
    That is a matter of fact, not opinion.

But at the end of the day, its your car, your choice

Thanks bd for the info, when you say that a lower offset will affect the geometry are you talking below 30 offsets, it seemed that everyone was saying a 45 offset was not a big change and should be fine with a 7.5 inch wide wheel and 225/45 tires. I am keen on changing the wheels but not keen on compromising safety or performance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
    Thanks bd for the info, when you say that a lower offset will affect the geometry are you talking below 30 offsets, it seemed that everyone was saying a 45 offset was not a big change and should be fine with a 7.5 inch wide wheel and 225/45 tires. I am keen on changing the wheels but not keen on compromising safety or performance.
    Offsets below 40 are illegal and dangerous. Around 30, without significant re-engineering of the suspension makes it a death trap.
    Any change of offset can influence the geometry. Big changes simply cause the tyre to sit on the road in such a way that bearing and other loads can be high enough to break things. The ideal offsets are close to stock...for 225 tyres, I consider ideal offset +48. For 235, +45, but even these fitments will have clearance concerns with the gaurds.

They are correct in one sense that +45 is not such a big change, however consider this it's a 7.5mm change in offset which = 15mm overtrack (added to your tyres distance apart)
    The minimum legal offset of +40 creates an overtrack of 25mm.

Anyone overtracking more than 25mm needs to go through comprehensive engineering, safety, and handling checks. If they don't they don't deserve the priviledge of a license or a vehicle, IMO.

Not keen on compromising safety or performance? Stay legal and keep your offsets legal and sensible.

There ARE advantages to overtracking - the wider stance can improve cornering balance etc., but there can be serious disadvantages too, and those problems are why we have the legal numbers. If you overtrack too far, torque steer, tramlining and negative steering feedback become a problem, not to mention bearing failures.

The sizes you posted are all good fitments. You will need a little gaurd rolling for 225/45R18 @ +45 to avoid light gaurd rubbing. I had to with an offset of +48.
    Just imagine the rub issues you are likely to have if you fit +40 (sticks out a further 8mm)
    And yes, at +30, bearing in mind it already touches the gaurd at +48, they stick out another 18mm on top of that.
    +30 will not be able to get inside the gaurds, even with heavy gaurd rolling and pulled they are suspected to continue rubbing and fouling the gaurd. In order to get sufficient clearance you will need to have at least your rear gaurds pulled out 20mm - and that would be effectively flush with the sidewall. 2 centimeters dude - that's how much the tyre is going to foul the gaurd, and fwiw anyone who deliberately creates a piece of shit vehicle in that condition doesn't deserve a license of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Logan; 02-03-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Tidied up the post.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Whats your idea for the car? Looks or Handling? If ur after looks go a lower offset. If ur wanting a handling car run a +48 or 50+ offset.

He deems it dangerous and moronic because it simply is dangerous and moronic.

people who are willing to sacrifice safety for the sake of looks should be regarded as moronic

It is FACT that substantially different offset wheels WILL cause damage to your car. Damage that can make your car very dangerous to you and other road users.

As KMH001 (an experienced engineer) wrote. It's not a case of if, its WHEN

This argument has been done to death recently.
    It seems that some people just don't believe what we are saying.
    Engineers who study the loads, and mechanics and panel bearers that repair the results have all seen the results.

I guess if people still want to do it, its their choice.

And on an extra note, ever picked the skin from somebody's face out of the Allen key bolts of an aftermarket steering wheel because the poor modifications to his car caused him to crash?
    I have.
    Trust me, seeing some of the accidents I've seen makes you think twice
    And anyone else in the auto trade will back me on that

Both sides have expressed their opinion here sufficiently. Let's look forward to some pics.

Is there a place we could start a thread that could be inserted any time a new member has concerns about legal fitment of mods and safety concerns that goes along with it.

It would be a good place for people to post each state variances, as they seem to differ.

It would also dispel the need to bang on like this over and over again.

The forum should always support a safe approach to modifications as much as it should support someones expression of themselves and their vehicle.

...back to the point of the thread.

Personally, I'd go the Lavinhard. They look like my Speedys!!! What colour? Black or Shiney Silver?

P.S. are you into stella bodies? Aphelion - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Right I have cleaned this thread, because once again another it has descended into a shit fight.

I will be issuing infractions accordingly for baiting and shit stirring respectively.

Keep it clean otherwise I will ban people accordingly.

Thanks again for all of the replies, sorry it degenerated a little... Have decided it will be the Lavinhard wheels, with all the advice sounds like they will be safe, legal, perform well and look great, best of all worlds in my op. May go and pick them up on Saturday so pics to follow, I have replaced the front grill and my next 'style' mission will be to try and find a quality way to paint the plastic grill insert in the bottom front and rear bumper. Oh and i have decided on black, the dark silver was tempting as it is close to the plastic dash colour but I think the black will look great on a black car!
    Soon to follow all this with a strut bar and rear brace, time to stiffen her up a little.
    Oh and yes Stella bodies are cool, kind of want my car to be an 'Aphelion' lol

Glad the heated discussion didn't turn you away

Looking forward to seeing pics.
    And possibly the car and yourself on a cruise in the near future

18. Default

Yes be nice to have another black MPS6 on a cruise to keep me company

Be keen to see your pics once your done ... also what part of the grill do you mean ?

Yeah would like to get on a criuise at some point. I have replaced the top removable section where the mazda logo normally sits but there is a few places on the car which have the black plastic which is now fading to grey. The bottom cross pattern insert in the grill plus the two fog light surrounds in the front. The base of the side mirrors plus two inserts on the rear bumper near the exhaust tips. Would like to paint them all in either black or a gunmetal grey. Just have to find the right paint/process. Has anyone seen this attempted, guess this should live in a seperate thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
    Thanks again for all of the replies, sorry it degenerated a little... Have decided it will be the Lavinhard wheels, with all the advice sounds like they will be safe, legal, perform well and look great, best of all worlds in my op. May go and pick them up on Saturday so pics to follow, I have replaced the front grill and my next 'style' mission will be to try and find a quality way to paint the plastic grill insert in the bottom front and rear bumper. Oh and i have decided on black, the dark silver was tempting as it is close to the plastic dash colour but I think the black will look great on a black car!
    Soon to follow all this with a strut bar and rear brace, time to stiffen her up a little.
    Oh and yes Stella bodies are cool, kind of want my car to be an 'Aphelion' lol
    Degenerated is what we do best.. i recon u made the right choice
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast