User Tag List

Thread: Wheel help !

Default Wheel help !

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting my rims powdercoated gloss black for something different....now I've got a quote and all that stuff but the problem is they will need the wheels for 5 working days.

Obviously this creates a problem.....its pretty hard to drive with no wheels.

Anyone got any bright ideas (awaiting smart @rse responses) or spare wheels I could borrow for a week in canberra ???

Lol, yes it can be difficult to drive with no wheels! Don't they offer loan wheels. The place that did mine offer some wheels to keep you mobile

I got 2 stock MPS6 rims with rubber but am in Sydney.

I got spare set of stock MPS3 but im in Brisbane

Surely someone can lend you a set of wheels?...or loan a cheap car for 5 days?

not sure if nathan still has his old RX8 wheels sitting around, know he sold them to another member here, you might be able to have a loan of them for a few days?
    else, try Blackbetty? she might have her stock 6MPS wheels...

Hey Kookie,

Whats doin? Been a while yeah

Where you getting your wheels done?

hey hama yeah mate whats doing ?

there is a place called AA sandblasting...original huh ! and a place called tai powder coating in queanbeyan.

read some good reviews on some mtb forums actually about the p.coating from that place.

Have you looked at 2-pack painting mate instead of powdercoating?

Ok, all good my friend........

I got my wheels done in Queanbeyan too, though I can't remember the name of the place. It's basically a massive tin shed & I think from memory he charged me around $60/wheel.....

The job was a 7.5/10 from what I remember

Good luck with tracking down some wheels bro.........

10. Default

Hama sounds like wicked wheels.

Sorry Matt I dont have my stock rims, I got rid of them as soon as I could I hated them

what wheels you getting powder coated, dont you have nice aftermarket rims ?

I have a spare set of 3MPS rims but they have no rubber but at least they are in canberra :P

yeah thought about 2 pac but think from research PC will be more durable. Just what I have decided, I know there are heaps of differing views out there. Hmmmm rfzd that could possibly work as I'll have to get the tyres removed and all that anyways......decisions decisions !!!

I keep seeing these damn white GTI's with gloss black wheels and love the look of it.

Yeah BB: still got my aftermarket rims but think they would look schmick in black now !!

I got told 2-pak is what most rims are and that it's better (can't remember the reasons behind it, cracking or chipping or something) In saying that there are different views. I have also heard that PC is longer lasting, and that its possibly better in terms of cracking, chipping etc. So it depends who you talk to and what your experience is from the two types. Mine seem ok, the only paint coming off is where the wheel nuts are due to them being so tight and turning on the surface. You can't tell though cause the nut covers the small chips of paint when tightened. If you go with PC, I'm keen to know what you think, perhaps some pics?

This is on a blue MPS3 right....hmm that should pretty bold and stunning actually! Are the callipers stock or painted? Just FYI my painted rims were ~$150 a rim, that won't help just letting you know!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

If you need them just let me know, sitting in the shed at the moment not being used

Quote Originally Posted by rfzd View Post
    If you need them just let me know, sitting in the shed at the moment not being used
    Thanks heaps, probably in a month or so I might shoot you a message !! Busy busy at the moment.

Yeah its an AB 3, the calipers are painted blue but I'll redo them again and add some clear coat when I take the wheels off etc. I think it should come up pretty well, with the dark tint windows etc....probably darken the side indicator aswell but see what happens.

You should get rfzd's wheels painted/coated and give him your old ones when you are finished. Saves mulitple remove a refits of tyres.