V103 - $375ea

225/45R18:
    RT-615 - $360ea
    Proxes4 - $255ea
    ZE-912 - $265ea

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    225/45R18:
    RT-615 - $360ea
    Prices seem to vary widely on the RT-615's. Down here in Sydney, Tempe Tyres do the 225/40/18's for $320 and the 225/45/18's for $275. Going to hit up some 225/45's once the stock tyres are gone (which won't be long )

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Prices seem to vary widely on the RT-615's. Down here in Sydney, Tempe Tyres do the 225/40/18's for $320 and the 225/45/18's for $275. Going to hit up some 225/45's once the stock tyres are gone (which won't be long )
    If you're getting 225/45 R18 for $275 I'd be buying 2 sets. Up here the cheapest I can get them is $360ea. The 45 profile should also cost more than the 40 profile.... Can you get $275 confirmed for me?

4. Default

just picked up a set of Toyo 888
    when I roll them on the rims
    I'll let you know how they go
    Hopefully not up in a puff of smoke

5. Default

The 45 profile should also cost more than the 40 profile....
    Not necessarily, when I bought the Adrenalins, the 45s were cheaper than the 40s, and by around $30. I almost went that way (45), but after running a basic tyre size calculator on my iphone, I realised I would have had rubbing issues again with the lowered suspension.

The 225/40/18s are supurb though. I certainly dont regret putting my mulah on the table for these babies
    Last edited by Wardski; 27-11-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Is your stock wheel 18x7", if yes then I think 225/40/18 need to run on minimum 7.5" rim.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    Is your stock wheel 18x7", if yes then I think 225/40/18 need to run on minimum 7.5" rim.
    Well i have been using 225/40 R18 Maxxis VA-1 on my car for nearly 12 months now on my stock 18 x 7 rims..with no problems...i know someone who has had them longer..

So...its only a recommendation....

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Just means your speedo is 12% out instead of 10% out, lol.

Blog Entries

Default Sumitomo HTRZ-III

225/45R18 Sumitomo HTRZ-III
    Fairly happy with these ~ $240 ea for me. On the stock rims the extra width scrubs a touch more.

I'm looking at +48 rims and that should see the extra scrub solved (steering weight at centre), keep it all inside unrolled guards, and provide modest handling gains from a modest overtrack. 225/45 means I'll be able to use oem wheels as full-size spares.

Fairly quiet - generate a bit of white noise.
    Difficult to compare to the OEM potenzas as the potenzas degraded in feel quite quickly as the wear progressed (28,000 from them and they were shagged).

Currently a little overdue for first rotation after ~8000K or more and the tread looks much more reassuring than the potenzas did at the first rotation - they looked half gone, the sumitomo look like they'll weaar much better. I think I'll get at least one more rotation from the set making it about 35,000 or more hopefully for the sumitomo.

Haven't anything bad to say about the handling. Currently run them at 42F/39R psi.

Probably best bang for buck tyre I've tried.

Blog Entries

True for most manufacturers. For one or two 7" is ok (Federal SS595)
    Even on 7.5" wide rims 225/40R18 is a bit marginal for my liking. Relatively large OD change and if your speedo error ends up at 12% that, strictly speaking, is not roadworthy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Even on 7.5" wide rims 225/40R18 is a bit marginal for my liking. Relatively large OD change and if your speedo error ends up at 12% that, strictly speaking, is not roadworthy either.
    that is correct, it is not roadworthy so you are running the risk of voiding insurance company policy.

In short run it may have no differnt compare to 225, but long run may see some side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Do you know if all speedos will be out by 12%....

How will Qld Transport or Qld Police check this error.

that is correct, it is not roadworthy so you are running the risk of voiding insurance company policy.

In short run it may have no differnt compare to 225, but long run may see some side effect.
    Just made a claim on my insurance..tyres werent even thought about.

Long run side effects....I think after 20000km on these tyres driving in different conditions and speeds, I should have noticed these effects.

Still have about 60% tread on them....so I should get another 20000km outta them.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Tyre: 215/45 R18

Sidewall: 96.8mm
    Radius: 325.4mm
    Diameter: 650.7mm
    Circum: 2044.2mm
    Revs/km: 489.0

Tyre: 225/45 R18

Sidewall: 101.2mm
    Radius: 329.8mm
    Diameter: 659.7mm
    Circum: 2072.5mm
    Revs/km: 483.0

Speedo with these tyres is 1.4% slow (100km/hr = 101.4km/hr)

Tyre: 225/40 R18

Sidewall: 90.0mm
    Radius: 318.6mm
    Diameter: 637.2mm
    Circum: 2001.8mm
    Revs/km: 500.0

Speedo with these tyres is 2.1% fast (100km/hr = 97.9km/hr)
    Last edited by duglet; 30-11-2008 at 09:07 AM.

If you're getting 225/45 R18 for $275 I'd be buying 2 sets. Up here the cheapest I can get them is $360ea. The 45 profile should also cost more than the 40 profile.... Can you get $275 confirmed for me?

Jeev, I rang Tempe again on Friday to double check the pricing, and it hasn't changed ($275 for 225/45 and $320 for 225/40). They can have them in stock the next day. They can organise shipping too, so im may be worthwhile to check them out... http://www.tempetyres.com.au/ Ps. I don't work for them lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Do you know if all speedos will be out by 12%....

How will Qld Transport or Qld Police check this error.

Just made a claim on my insurance..tyres werent even thought about.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you are likely to have a problem - in fact it is quite unlikely but at the end of the day they don't meet roadworthy requirements and that is something RTA expects the owner to be responsible for meeting.

Small claims insurance aren't going to look twice. Any significant incident that has insurance looking closely at the small detail and that's when you are more likely to run into trouble.

The OD vary a little between manufacturers...for some the 225/40 fitment is at the limits of RTA tolerance ~15mm difference.

Re: speedo - knowing there is a 7-10% stock speedo error means that to be certain one meets RTA guidelines, over-diameter fitments are almost a must.

I don't trust the establishment to overlook trivial variations outside the guidelines these days - they don't overlook a brief 5-10 second overtaking maneuver performed safely, so I wouldn't expect them to overlook an unwarrantable tyre fitment.

Ultimately, they do have due cause to query it if the tyre manufacturer does not warrant the fitment. That's not to say they will; that's to say they can.

If the manufacturer does not warrant the fitment, you (a) have no warranty on the tyre (b) risk roadworthy and insurance issues.

I don't think anyone should be reccommending a fitment that is not clearly within the RTA and tyre manufacturer guidelines.

If I know that the rim is a 0.5" too narrow for the tyre manufacturer to honor warranty and that my speedo error would be pushed above 10%, that's enough for me to say no.

I know it doesn't meet fitment guidelines. I also know that it shouldn't really be a problem in practice, but since it doesn't meet fitment guidelines, I wouldn't fit it.

If I ring the tyre manufacturer when the minimum rim width is specified as 7.5" and ask them 'can I fit this to 7"?' they will tell me no. Of course. They will probably be wondering to themselves why people are so stupid as to think they can ignore the published specs.

At the end of the day, the RTA guidelines are there as a matter of law and safety. The manufacturer guidelines are there as a matter of warranty and safety. The moment we start ignoring them, even when the fitment should show no real issues, we are showing contempt for road laws and safety.

The thread is titled "Best tyres for 3MPS" - for all the reasons listed above, however marginal or trivial, 225/40R18 is clearly NOT in the "best tyre" category.

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Jeev, I rang Tempe again on Friday to double check the pricing, and it hasn't changed ($275 for 225/45 and $320 for 225/40). They can have them in stock the next day. They can organise shipping too, so im may be worthwhile to check them out... http://www.tempetyres.com.au/ Ps. I don't work for them lol
    Heard one horror story of Tempe tyre purchases where someone bought tyres from them that had been held in warehouse way past their use-by date. Because they had not been fitted and run-in on a vehicle before they "went off", when he received them and fit them they tracked like ****, wobbling all over a test rig, and were clearly no good.

I've been warned about this by local service agents who suggested buying rims without tyres from tempe because of this incident. I was only shopping for wheels, they told me this story as soon as I said tempe, so I don't think it's just because they wanted to sell me tyres, as I'd mentioned other sources as well. "No problems purchasing wheels from them, there's nothing to go wrong there, but don't buy tyres with your rims from tempe".

I believe the tyres need to have sat in warehouse for ages without being moved or turned for this to happen. If the price is unusually low for the tyre you are purchasing, I'd be asking myself (and them) why. Are they old stock?
    Last edited by Nexus; 30-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.

I had set of adrenalines(225/45R) on my now gone SP23 hatch and they were awesome .

Once Im done with my stock MPS tyres Im going back to adrenalines!

I've heard a lot of bad things about Tempe, but those tyres for that price are damn hard to pass up.

I have a set of standard size (215/45R18) Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. I think they pretty good, very quiet compared to the 050's and grip levels are excellent too.

I got them for $350 ea fitted earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Well, after dabbling a bit in a whole range of tyres (from 20's to 18's) I cant say enough about my new set of Bridgestone Adrenalins. I went with the 225/40/18's and they are unbelivably noise free and grippy!
    How much did the Adrenalins set you back?

19. Default

Posted in another thread, but the 225/40's a quart were $345 fitted. If you were looking at the larger 225/45 and not intending on lowering your MPS (they will fit) these babies are cheaper at around $325-$329 a quart.

Hi guys.
    I went to my local Bridgestone dealer for a quote on the Adrenalins and he refused to fit them as they don't come in 215/45/18, he said you car is not road worthy so if you have a accident the insureance company may not pay up.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast