User Tag List

Thread: Knocking/Clunking from front Gen 1

1. Default Knocking/Clunking from front Gen 1

Hi guys,

After selling my brand new 2011 MPS I decided to downgrade to an older 06 MPS.

There have been a few issues with it, most resolved, but this one is really causing me grief. After 6 months of investigation at the dealer to no avail I finally took it to a suspension shop to figure out where this knocking is coming from.

They said it's coming from a soft bush from the rear transmission mount, issue is, I have no idea what this is. Apparently the mount is located under the car, drivers side, inbetween the firewall and front bumper closer to the firewall. They confirmed it was this because they can see marks from where the mount has been rubbing and have wedged something in there which removed the noise although they said there's nothing wrong with the mount, just that the bush is soft.

Does anyone know what this mount is called? I can't find an aftermarket replacement online anywhere. They reckon if I buy one from Mazda that it might be the same.

If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 4

Rear engine mount. Either get some corksport inserts or a new mount from Corksport, CP-E, JBR, AWR but avoid SURE and iirps. Its a common problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 08-08-2013 at 07:38 AM.

yup very common problem rear engine mounts. lots on ebay to buy. and googling will find you lots of aftermarket versions.

4. Default

Thanks guys!

Was thinking of changing it anyway this would be a bonus if it gets sorted

Lets hope it also fixes my 1st to 2nd gear crunch...

Thanks everyone - I think I have this same problem. I'll probably go for the Corksport inserts.

Would this be impacting performance, or just make an annoying noise?

6. Default

Ive read it can improve wheel hop and gear changes as well

Hey guys,

I have had the same issue as well; sounds of knocking/loose in the front.

The thing is i have already installed a sure rear engine mount (found out the factory one had already cracked, nice to see how mazda notes they checked all engine mounting brackets as stated in the service i did)

Also there was no knocking since then, knocking started happening about a year later and also when the knocking noise got worse sounds like the whole front suspension was very loose on bumpy roads.

found out that the rear bushes on my left control arm were cracked, so go them replaced with whiteline control arm bushes for both sides. it improved a tiny bit, but the noise is still there **SIGH**

Next im getting my mate to look at my shocks (which mazda told me they are fine, as well as signs of no wear and tear) although they failed to mention me about the cracked rear control arm bushes.

Any others had any problems like this and found the reason for the noise?

Cheers
    2008 Black Mazda 3 MPS Sports Pack

try disconnecting the end links. If the noise goes away, it will either be the end links or the sway bar bushes.

If the noise persists, can be either shocks or engine/gearbox mount. Also check that the rear control arm bushing hasn't busted as it should be filled with fluid

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    try disconnecting the end links. If the noise goes away, it will either be the end links or the sway bar bushes.

If the noise persists, can be either shocks or engine/gearbox mount. Also check that the rear control arm bushing hasn't busted as it should be filled with fluid
    Hey champ,

Thanks for the info, i will check the sway bar endlinks and bushes as well.

Will update once i have got a chance to check that out.

Start cheap and move up from there. The opposite to I did.

Change sway bar bushes
    Then end links
    Then struts and strut tops.

That is also in order of commonness.
    Also the opposite order of what Mazda suggested to me. I can almost guarantee its the sway bar bushes

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Start cheap and move up from there. The opposite to I did.

Change sway bar bushes
    Then end links
    Then struts and strut tops.

That is also in order of commonness.
    Also the opposite order of what Mazda suggested to me. I can almost guarantee its the sway bar bushes

Thanks bd581

that will be the first thing to look at

12. Default

I've just replaced swaybar bushes (not really needed by while it was apart...) and lower control arm bushes with SuperPro's as I had the same thing. Second time I have had this happen in 100k kms, and the lower control arm bushes were replaced under waranty by Mazda around the 50k mark. Don't think I will be going OEM bushes again as handling is so much improved and these shouldn't wear out in 50k like the OEM ones.

Hey guys,

its been a while. Finally solve my knocking sound issue.

The boys at MPS Garage fixed the issue. Ended up being the bushes on the sway bar.

Guess this was a good chance to get a upgraded sway and bushes

Once install, no more knocking sound!

Cheers

Andrew

Good to hear its fixed. Hopefully that unmentionable company didn't sting you too much.
    Be worth checking to see if all the bolts are tight.......or there

15. Default

Did sway bar bushes first in my car thanks to this thread. cheers

16. Default

Yeah ive got the same issue with my Gen 1 anyone recommend what brand of sway bar bushes to use as im thinking of getting mine done this week

cheers

OEM

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk