User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

1. Default Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Hi guys

I mentioned in another thread I was considering painting my stock mps wheels black and wondered if anyone else has ever done this?
    If so gloss or matte black and has anyone got pictures to help me make my mind up, or suggestions/advice. My only concern is wanting to be able to sell the car stock when the time comes. I have had a quote for $200 for all 4 wheels so I think it would look great on my AB MPS.

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

Read up on plastidip mate. There are even a thread or two on here about plastidip. Very easy to use and once you had enough of the black you can just pull the dip off and your back to stock.

There are a lot of guys on here with gloss and matte black wheels so it has been done plenty of times.

Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

I had mine semi gloss and thought they looked well

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

+1 for plastidip if u know u gonna wanna go back to stock later on

I have plasti dipped mine, it will come out matte black, no gloss. I think I actually prefer matte over gloss, breaks it up a little bit. It is a good way to go if you're not sure on the colour and just want to try it out as you can peel it off if you don't like it. Just keep in mind they can be a pain to clean, and don't get too close with a pressure washer or you will blast it off.

6. Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Quote Originally Posted by turkminator View Post
    I had mine semi gloss and thought they looked well

Hey turk they look really good! Your not based in Vic are you? If so who did it? Was it hard to paint between the mazda caps?
    I have thought about plasti dipping however it will cost the same to paint and have forever! I'm sure they will look awesome especially on the blue. I guess I could try plasti dipping first.

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |

Plastidip looks the goods, thinking about doing my stock rims a gunmetal gray (on true red 2006 MPS). How have you found it holds up to brake dust, cleaning, being near a pressure gun/hose?

Default Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Holds up fine, I actually got a bit on my calipers by overspray and it has not burnt or flaked off from the heat in months. They are a pain to clean because of the texture, it almost grabs, just use a soft wool mitt. Pressure washing them is fine as long as you keep it a metre or so away, you will tear it off if you put it against the wheel. Also, do not use a rattle gun on the lugs it will tear also.

Hey man nah I'm in Sydney.. nah it was easy doing the caps.. just masking tape it and use a blade to cut around the Mazda emblem and spray it..

10. Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Quote Originally Posted by turkminator View Post
    Hey man nah I'm in Sydney.. nah it was easy doing the caps.. just masking tape it and use a blade to cut around the Mazda emblem and spray it..

Ok cool thanks mate. Hey you wouldn't happen to have a photo of the black rims front on that you could send me so I can manipulate on my car? You still have them on?
    I'll pm you my email addy if you do.

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS

Only thing i would say is that save your money and get wider and lighter rims, other then that go for it .

12. Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

Only thing i would say is that save your money and get wider and lighter rims, other then that go for it .
    Nice Bakis.
    The only problem with that idea its $200 to paint vs what maybe $1200 for new rims and tyres if I'm lucky?
    Not sure what difference the weight of them has? Yes I'd love 235 all round on some kahn or advan black rims.

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS

Where'd you get the idea of $200 in Plastidip paint, toine? Looks like you can get 4 cans for around $100. 4 cans should be heaps provided you are patient with spraying. For example:

plastidip | eBay
    Last edited by Byrd; 06-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Where'd you get the idea of $200 in Plastidip paint, toine? Looks like you can get 4 cans for around $100. 4 cans should be heaps provided you are patient with spraying. For example:

plastidip | eBay

I think he meant for a powdercoated finish (painted). But my rim's paint are starting to just signs of age, and I just wish that i hadn't of spent the $500 on repairing and painting them and saved it for some rims.

$200 is a good price, is it assuring a quality job?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I paid 65 per wheel for powdercoating any colour

Sent From A Galaxy2. IPhone Sucks. Using Tapatalk2

16. Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post

plastidip | eBay
    No I have been given a price by a mate of a mate for $50 per rim to paint them gloss black. Not powder coating though.
    Maybe I will give the plasti dip a go just need a proper trolley jack.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS

17. Default Re: Original Rims Painted Gloss Black?

Quote Originally Posted by JapCrap View Post

Got any pics.?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JapCrap View Post
    Where from in Melbourne? Most powdercoating jobs charge $60 minimum for the smallest thing, so this sounds like a good deal.

I got mine blasted and coated for 280 in altona at Mr powdercoat they did a good job and 5 day turn around
    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast