User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to market tyres available in 215/45 R18

Default New to market tyres available in 215/45 R18

I am coming up for new tyres soon and as such have been doing research on suitable replacements.

I drive a fair bit to and from work and around so I need good road tyres (not semi slicks even though I'd love to have them) with decent lifespan and I want to stay in the standard size for the 6 (215/45 R18).

The other day I went to Bob Jane to see what they can offer, and specifically price Yokohama Advan Sport V103. I was surprised to be informed that there is another style in the OEM size, the Yokohama Advan dB V551. The salesman suggested that they are replacing the V103 and would be a very soft wearing tyre, however I don't think he realised that this is the "quiet" tyre from Yokohama, and would obviously be quieter and potentially better wearing if not as sharp in handling.

I was given the price of $365ea which I think is reasonable, compared to a quote I had earlier in the day from another supplier for the V103 at about $440ea. These tyres might be very suitable for my style of driving as I find road noise irritating.

Earlier research has also lead me to the new Toyo T1 Sport. I am keen to try Toyo however I have recently seen a few members mention that Toyo are only good for half of their wear. The best price I had was $280ea and more locally $295ea.

Anyhow I thought I would just share some of my findings with you as I know the OEM size is fairly limited and there is not much between the lower priced Kumho/Hankook and upper priced Bridgestone/Pirelli.

If you have any experience with either of the above, let us know.

2. Default

I guess just one question why are you so adamant about staying to 215/45/18 when you could put a 225 on, cheaper and giving you more options ?

I agree Andyb...??????

Have a look at http://www.tirerack.com/ ,some very decent rubber at very good prices, and remains competetive with the local market even after shipping.

It's more personal preference than anything else, I want to stick within standard specification (although 225/45 18 would give slightly more sidewall height which I would like). I have found 225/40 18 to be a lot more common, more so than 225/45 18, but is recommended for 7.5" rims and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Have a look at http://www.tirerack.com/ ,some very decent rubber at very good prices, and remains competetive with the local market even after shipping.
    Yeah I've had a look there but unless it comes under $1000 don't you have to pay GST? Or does freight not count with GST?

Here is the run down on tirerack

If your tyres are 1000 AUD you pay approximately 6% tax on top of the purchase price.

The postage is 270 AUD so you add the 1000AUD + 6% + 270AUD and then add the 10% GST on the overall cost.

Do that math and work it out if its still cheaper

7. Default

I'd definitely continue shopping around, anything above $300 for 215/45/18 is paying way too much in my humble opinion.

You can get the V103s in 235/40/18 for under $330 from local sources... so there's definitely room to find a cheaper price in 215/45s, even if it is an odd tyre size.

ps: 225/45/18 vs 225/40/18?

personally I'd try and find some 225/40s

225/40/18 or 225/45/18

The 40's will be cheaper but will probably ride harder. Don't know how important it is in Aus but the 40's will have a load index of 92 instead of the OEM's which will probably be 93. The 45's will probably be 95, so it exceeds the spec. See if you can find a 6 with 45's on. They fill the arch a lot better without rubbing, on a stock car. Don't know about lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by laser beam View Post
    I'd definitely continue shopping around, anything above $300 for 215/45/18 is paying way too much in my humble opinion.

You can get the V103s in 235/40/18 for under $330 from local sources... so there's definitely room to find a cheaper price in 215/45s, even if it is an odd tyre size.

ps: 225/45/18 vs 225/40/18?

personally I'd try and find some 225/40s
    Yeah I agree it's too much but that's the going rate for this size, I have called many tyre places in and out of my local area and for certain brands they all seem to be around the same pricepoint. I have used Kumho which were good, but have gone up since I last bought them, and I want to try something different. I might go Toyo if I don't get a better price on the Yoko's today.

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    225/40/18 or 225/45/18

The 40's will be cheaper but will probably ride harder. Don't know how important it is in Aus but the 40's will have a load index of 92 instead of the OEM's which will probably be 93. The 45's will probably be 95, so it exceeds the spec. See if you can find a 6 with 45's on. They fill the arch a lot better without rubbing, on a stock car. Don't know about lowered.
    That's exactly right, as I mentioned I do a fair bit of driving to work on a less than smooth road, I don't want to crack another rim. So I might think about 225/45 R18 but definitely not 225/40 R18.

Also in Australia the OEM load index is 89 (speed rating W) so most tyres are an improvement.

hi andy, when using tirerack - order 2 tyres at a time..

i used them to buy my tyres and was very happy with the service/price and delivery time (1 week).

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    Yeah I've had a look there but unless it comes under $1000 don't you have to pay GST? Or does freight not count with GST?
    My order was over $1000 ($1075), there was no other charges after payment was made to tirerack.

Tyres only right? You sourced the rims locally?

I just found out that there are no stock of the db V551 in the country and they are unsure as to when they will get some.

There is also another new tyre in the OEM size - the Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5.

To give you an idea how much tyre size effects price... About 2 months ago I got 225/45/18 Yokohama Advan Sport V103 for $270 per corner fitted (or $95 each less than your best quote). I'm on stock rims too (6MPS).

I have just been through the find a tyre business and ended up with a set of Toyo Proxes C1S. They are a new design that is a luxury tyre and as such are quite and good wearing.

They cost me about $280 per corner, fitted, balanced, and front&rear alignment.

I am very happy with them as they are far quieter than the directional tyres I had previously, but handle just as well. This was important to me as I too drive quite a lot for work, so an aggresive tread pattern I decided wasn't for me.

Good luck with it.
    Red '05 6MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    I have just been through the find a tyre business and ended up with a set of Toyo Proxes C1S. They are a new design that is a luxury tyre and as such are quite and good wearing.

They cost me about $280 per corner, fitted, balanced, and front&rear alignment.

I am very happy with them as they are far quieter than the directional tyres I had previously, but handle just as well. This was important to me as I too drive quite a lot for work, so an aggresive tread pattern I decided wasn't for me.

Good luck with it.
    So I read your post last night and was pretty keen on these tyres, and rang my local tyre shop this morning and they said there are none available (only Proxes 4 and T1 Sport at the moment), and my backup option was Kumho KU31 and there are none in the country either.

Now not too sure what to do. Might have to get the Goodyears although they are made in China or Thailand or somewhere like that...

We went with the std size Hancooks. Great tyre, Quiet, sticky and reasonably priced. think i paid about 290 per tyre fitted and balanced and all that Jazz.
    Would love to get the cash to buy the New Dunlop Direzza SP Sports. They are an awesome tyre. they go alright and hold the road. not sure on the price of them, but I can only imagine they arent cheap. I seen them used in Targa west on a couple of cars, they are a street tyre but they are good for sporty driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudspec View Post
    We went with the std size Hancooks. Great tyre, Quiet, sticky and reasonably priced. think i paid about 290 per tyre fitted and balanced and all that Jazz.
    Would love to get the cash to buy the New Dunlop Direzza SP Sports. They are an awesome tyre. they go alright and hold the road. not sure on the price of them, but I can only imagine they arent cheap. I seen them used in Targa west on a couple of cars, they are a street tyre but they are good for sporty driving.
    My current set of tyres are the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo, nothing wrong with the tyres (nothing spectacular either), paid about $230-240ea back at Christmas time. One got a puncture within 30 minutes of leaving the tyre service, which comes under their road hazard guarantee. It took me three months to get the cost of the tyre back, and therefore I have decided to steer clear.

ohr bugga.. once we are out of our contract waratee, I will be looking into something a bit different, actually going down a size in rim to a 17"and then pumping the guards slightly to fit a 235-245/45/17 and then that way I can actually semi afford a set of race tyres to do some track work. Also looking into a new concept drivesshaft setup to cope with extra load. and beefing up the gearbox. OK so i am dreaming again, for when I win lotto. Its gotta be done though, lower fatter and cheaper to buy tyres.

I had the hankooks in a 225/45/18 and they were ok for a street tyre.
    Had kuhmo ku36's before, and rt615's now, both handle better as one would expect with such softer compounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast