User Tag List

Thread: Gen2 rims buckled "need replacing"

Default Gen2 rims buckled "need replacing"

I had my 40,000km service yesterday and was informed by the service manager that the two rims on the right side of the car were damaged and needed to be replaced.

I'm not sure if "buckled" was the exact word he used, "bent" maybe? I don't remember, I was in shock because I'm very careful parking and have never hit anything at speed (never hit anything at all!). The only possible explanation is that the tyre place dropped them she I got new tyres a couple of weeks ago or the stock rim are crap and just buckle over time.

I can't see any physical sign of damage to any of the rims on either side so I'm not even sure how they decided they were bent anyway, I'm going to give them a call this morning for more information.

Has anyone else with a Gen2 had problems with their stock rims?
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Fark.... no good mate.

Rims don't normally bend/buckle without some sort of impact. It's possible the tyre place may have damaged them, but it would be nigh on impossible to prove (at least I can't think of a way you'd be able to prove it)

Just confirmed with the dealer ,"buckled" is what they say. They noticed it when they had the wheels on the balancer, I have the number of a wheel repair place and I'll give them a call and see if I'm up for new rims or not.

Is it also possible the dealer buckled them whilst on a "test drive" and doesn't want to admit liability?

Again, hard to prove, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of issues like this occurring as a result of service technicians wanting to take the cool turbo car for a spin.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Take the rims to a tyre place...give them a look for an opinion

I'll go back to the place which fitted the new tyres and see what they say.

Also, this is the dealers idea of cleaning my car..I know it DIRTY when I dropped it off, I usually find the time to wash it myself before a service but events conspired against me this time...if they promise a wash, that's what they should do, not rub it over with a dirty rag and miss a bunch of spots.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
    'oh, that's what that yellow car is for, I thought it was the "you're doing great" light!'

Sorry to hear about your rim

Never ever let them wash yr car.. your car is better off looking dirty.

You could have buckled your rims hitting potholes, or down a steep driveway at speed, i wouldn't necessarily blame the service dept.

9. Default

what happened about your rims Chris ?

Hey Chris.

I had exactly the same thing.
    40k service or 5k wheel service, they advised me they cannot rotate my rims because one is buckled, I've done another 2k clicks and still haven't worked out what I'm doing lol

I still haven't taken any action yet, I need to call the rim place the dealer recommended but I'm probably going to end up like you, 2k later and nothing done, I'm dreading the cost of repair/replace and all the stuffing around having to drop the car off etc....ugh.

The thing which bothers me the most is that I have never hit anything hard enough to buckle a rim and there is no external sign of damage on the wheels. I would say that of everyone with a Gen2 you and I (tommo) would be the ones with some of the the most KM's on the clock so maybe it's an age thing? One car with the problem is bad luck, two is co-incidence, if we get another one I would start thinking design flaw.....