User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingalls "The Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper

Default Ingalls "The Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper

Has anybody used this or considered using it?

Ingalls "The Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper: Mazdaspeed 3 :: MazdaSpeed3 Engine :: MazdaSpeed 3 :: Mazda Speed Store

Might solve a lot of front end axle hop issues that are had with our cars.

What are peoples opinions and thoughts on the kit?

No love?

im also keen to hear some opinions of this. only concern i have is that its mounted to the strut tower and that over time this could cause issues. any thoughts?

there were some discussions on the US forums, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience

I looked at using one of these about 3-4 years ago, but it was a lot harder to get your hands on them. The issue is that with an Engine Damper is if you're not running substantially stronger engine/gearbox mounts, all you're likely to do is break them faster. Having said that it will reduce a lot of movement in the bay.
    Last edited by Jeev; 02-07-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Ok yeah I might do a search on mazdaspeedforums how much are transmission mounts?

the problem with transmission mounts is that they increase NVH quite a bit. I've already got a REM and a turbinetech front engine mount, and the NVH is bearable... might do some research do see how the ingalls product helps things

The damper effectively reduces the engine movement by creating an "Overdamped" system against it. It basically acts as a really soft engine mount with a limited amount of travel and is designed to reduce sudden or jerky movement of the engine under acceleration and deceleration.

here's a review, quite good info there
    Review: Ingalls Engine Damper for MS3

link to the product itself
    93054 - Stiffy ETD, 2009-04 Mazda 3 & Mazdaspeed3 - Ingalls Engineering Co., Inc.

it seems that noise is one of the main things that is increased. I may give this a go and see how it is. good thing about this is that it is adjustable. also the ingalls product seems superior in design as the brands may rub on the oil cap or a/c lines

oh also, seems that these products will only work with stock side engine mount (drivers side for us)
    Last edited by lup15; 02-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Ingalls is the only one I'd consider... Especially given it's pretty cheap to begin with. The rest of them were pretty cheap and nasty looking.

indeed. just for comparisons here are the pics of the 3 main ones that seems to be out there

I like the ingalls out of all of them. they also seem to be a suspension/alignment/drivetrain sort of orientated company, so sounds promising

Ingalls

Weapon R

NRG
    Last edited by lup15; 02-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Hmm, this seems good but i think it might be a last stand sorta of thing if your car still really struggles putting power down.

Advance Speed Shop has it:
    Ingalls Engine Torque Dampers 2004-2009 Mazda 3/ 2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3 - P/N: 93054

but for $240+ shipping its a little more expensive then i thought.

Saying that though if i decided im still not happy with the way my car puts the power down i might choose to install it.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I've ordered this from ebay, USD$160 + $50shipping

INGALLS ENGINE TORQUE DAMPER 04+ MAZDA 3 MAZDASPEED3 (eBay item 230637164479 end time 20-Jul-11 07:59:47 AEST) : eBay Motors

will write up a review when installed

Great work , i'm waiting for research on an anti-lift kit to come back positive and then change engine mount if that does give me traction i'll be getting one too

I was just about to start a thread exactly like this after I came across this MazdaSpeed3 Performance Guide
    Can't wait to hear how it goes lup15!
    Last edited by thelegend64; 13-07-2011 at 09:36 PM.

I don't need any of these mods... My clutch started slipping today, so I have no need to put power to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    I don't need any of these mods... My clutch started slipping today, so I have no need to put power to the ground.

Exedy is your friend...

[EDIT] I know there are some MTB riding folks round here... http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...ue-damper.html [/EDIT]

[EDIT2] Some nice brackets for above DIY mod... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SHOCK...item3cb95bb9e1 [/EDIT]

Chris.
    Last edited by Victa; 19-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

so I got the Ingalls ETD today, was excited. But that excitement was very short lived.

This product is a big fat FAIL for RHD - the brake fluid reservoir is smack bang in the path of the top mounting plate. dunno how I missed that 1...........

So lesson learnt. hope its been useful info for others. I don't think it's even possible to salvage this by making a new plate. only thing I can think of is mounting it somewhere else. TOO MUCH EFFORT!

lol@ STIFFY...

that sucks sorry to hear man, you going to return it?

That totally sucks mate. Troy might be able to help (you're in Brisbane right?) maybe he can fab something up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast