User Tag List

Thread: Jerkier shifts with air-con on

Default Jerkier shifts with air-con on

Hi guys.

Have you guys noticed jerkier gear shifts whenever the air-con is on? I'm pretty sure this is normal on some manual cars as my old car did the same.

Is there any way to prevent this? It's kinda annoying sometimes and it's the reason why I don't like using air-con.

Yep mine does it all the time, I put it down to the factory engine mount.

You would need to replace it with an after market one like TRZ, CP-E or SU and take out some slop.

Mine does it too. dont like using air-con because of it too.

Air-con compressors draw anything up to about 5Kw on start up. You only have to observe your rev counter or DH engine load reading to see the draw when it and the thermoelectric fans cut in. We get into a certain habit of interrelated movements and rpm synchronization when shifting and the intervention of the aircon system drawing additional power at almost random times, courtesy of the aircon and engine thermostats, yields a second set of rpm/load parameters that your shift movements must accommodate. It is especially noticeable when the air-con cuts in mid-shift, as it messes up your rpm synchronization.

I personally never notice it. And the more power you have, the less noticeable it is.

Solution: more power mod's!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Air-con compressors draw anything up to about 5Kw on start up. You only have to observe your rev counter or DH engine load reading to see the draw when it and the thermoelectric fans cut in. We get into a certain habit of interrelated movements and rpm synchronization when shifting and the intervention of the aircon system drawing additional power at almost random times, courtesy of the aircon and engine thermostats, yields a second set of rpm/load parameters that your shift movements must accommodate. It is especially noticeable when the air-con cuts in mid-shift, as it messes up your rpm synchronization.

I personally never notice it. And the more power you have, the less noticeable it is.

Solution: more power mod's!!
    Agreed. MORE power !.!.!
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Hehehe

Stock power sux

Tho I have noticed the engine movement to be greater with the A/C turned on, I just got back to the office from lunch and it is definitely noticeable...

Still and engine mount wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    Last edited by Malicioso; 21-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.

It puts load on the engine causing vibrations. A firmer engine mount will increase these vibrations.
    Stock is about as comfy as it'll get unfortunately.
    Just mod the car and make heaps if power. I don't notice the a/c compressor cut in anymore.

Ive got the CPE rear mount and TT front engine mount, good as gold